PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Art Medium? Show us! NOW!

Rye
04-09-2008, 01:21 AM
As an artist, I know how wonderful it feels to find a medium that you just click with, and are able to see fantastic results with. My favorite medium is oil pastel. I love pastels in general, but chalks are a bit messy, and irritate me when they get smudgy. Oils make for great mark making, which is one of my favorite things about my own personal style, and if you get water soluble oil pastels, you can water paint! :bigsmile:

My whole AP Art portfolio has been done in pastels. My favorite pieces are:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ryechuuu/fp_completed.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ryechuuu/apartblueyellow.jpg

Show us an example that highlights your mastery in the medium of your choice! Paint, table, whatever. :bigsmile:

Rocket Edge
04-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Beautiful pieces Rye.

I don't nessesarily have a favourite art medium, I just usually go along with what i'm comfortable using. I enjoy using inks, clays, & spray paint as a hobby, but whenever I do a piece I always seem to revert back to graphite or colour pencils. It's just simply what i'm most comfortable doing. Saying that I have done some work other than graphite work, but not nearly to the ammount of what I have done without it.

An example of me mixing my graphite & colouring pencils would be the Omega Weapon piece. Yeah, it shows my skills off from both mediums I think. Of course, its only one style of drawing in terms of line and tone, but I believe it to be my authentic style anyways.
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/8723/omega2pw1.jpg
Looking at that actualy makes me realise how long its been since I uploaded something. I should do a drawing and upload soon.

rubah
04-09-2008, 05:58 AM
A preface:

Sadly it wasn't until the end of my art career that I got into serious experimentation with medium or style. My teacher would always make us do things in a bunch of different media and so little thought was given to what would complement a piece rather than fill a quota. Therefore, it required the lack of care as well as the emergence of skill (nipped that in the bud!) to get anywhere, so all my data is mostly two years old now. I regret not having time to devote to it, but alas, IANAAM.

A summary of where I left off:

The classic media of my chosing were the ones easily manipulated; pencil, crayon, color pastel. They're fairly easy to achieve nice looking stuff with if you just think about what you're doing. I always took pride in being able to excel with them moreso than most people bothered to try.

In high school I started to favor oil pastels but toward the end gave them up for being too bright and saturated.

When I did the first piece that showed me how I could control watercolor, I began to fancy it and worked a little independently with watercolor pencils to mimick it but never gave it enough patience and effort to have anything come of it.

A similar story goes for the first time I handeld chalk well. It inspired me to do another piece immediately after to awful effect.

CG has been an on again off again thing for me for about 6 years now. Mostly off xD If I had to pick though, i would choose the archaic open canvas v 1.72 as my poison. There's something to be said for the simpler media; when programs are less powerful, they allow for more personal power to shine through or something silly like that xD Now I sound conceited!

I'm getting to where I can work happily with photoshop though, since open canvas is kinda a windows only app (I need to see if wine will run it now xD) and I really don't have many qualms about *ahem* obtaining software via any routes possible.

I made some really neat diagrams in Illustrator for my last two physics lab reports xD They're probably going to be representative of my future style as an engineer, so I might as well share one
http://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/others/current-balance.png

Rostum
04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
I absolutely love the 3D medium as well as graphite and charcoal (really getting into life drawing lately and I love it). Digital mediums are just awesome though. *hugs tablet*

Rye
04-09-2008, 06:48 PM
That's a shame about your art teacher, rubah. Was she your AP Art teacher? My AP Art teacher was really adamant about finding your good medium and sticking to it, so that you get really good at your portfolio. Most people basically stuck to one medium, whether it be paint, pastel, colored pencils, etc. I think mine might have used the most different types of medium, because I used oil, chalk, and water color from oil pastels. xD But they all were in the same category.

rubah
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
She was my art teacher from kindergarten to 12th grade barring one year in 7th grade xD

(not that I had art all those years)

Rye
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I think I'd cry if my AP Art teacher was my elementary or middle school teacher. xD I love my AP Art teacher. She's this sweet little woman, but she can get so fierce in the name of AP ART PORTFOLIO and it's amazing. She's probably my favorite teacher I've ever had. I think she's really instilled a lot of passion for art into me.

Balzac
04-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I was pretty sure I posted in this while at work. Oh well.

My favourite art medium is cg, there's just endless possibilities with it, also, I use it in my job so I'm biased.

Though, nothing gets ideas across better than good old pencil and paper, so that too.