PDA

View Full Version : Think you guys could help me with a VC decision?

KentaRawr!
04-09-2008, 02:14 AM
Well, this time, I figured I'd download a game I've never played before, or a game that I first heard of through the Virtual Console, such as with Bonk's Adventure, which ended up being a really great game. :p

For RPG's, I was thinking of Breath of Fire 2 or Phantasy Star 2, but it would really stink to play the sequels without playing the originals, which aren't available on the VC. I've played Phantasy Star 2 very briefly, and I played about 10 minutes of the first Breath of Fire. If I get Breath of Fire 2, maybe I'll check out the first one on the GBA or an SNES emulator. I've played the blazes out of PSO, and it would be nice to actually play more than realizing why the Principal figured he'd yell in my face in Phantasy Star 2.

For Adventure-ish games, I was thinking of Neutopia 1 or 2. I'd probably go with 1 first, and get the sequel later on. I was also thinking of Zelda: Ocarina of Time since my jerk of a friend stole and sold it, but I've played it about a million times. It wouldn't be a new experience at all.

Since Bonk's Adventure was so great, I was thinking about getting one of its sequels now available on the VC. Since its sequels were released on the VC, I guess it got pretty popular, rightfully so. Another platformer I was thinking of was Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan, of course), but after playing the first one, it really occurred to me that I don't really like the first SMB that much, and getting a game that uses a near identical engine would be pretty silly if I didn't like the first.

I remember renting 1080 Snowboarding on the N64 and my siblings liking it, but Snowboarding games aren't exactly my cup of tea.

There's also Kirby's Dream Course, which is a game I had loads of fun with on an emulator long ago. :p

So, out of these, which would you recommend the most?

Edit: OH, goodness, I forgot about King of Fighters '94. King of Fighters '94 is probably the best fighting game on the VC right now, so it's easily on my list of considerations. :p

Here's a list of considerations, if that was a tl;dr post.

RPG

Breath of Fire 2
Phantasy Star 2

Adventure

Neutopia
Neutopia 2

Platforming

Bonk's Revenge
Bonk 3

Other

Kirby's Dreamcourse
King of Fighters '94

Evastio
04-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Breath of Fire II is definitely worth a download. And even though you may not like the original SMB, Lost Levels will definitely give you a challenge.

But, it may be a smart idea if you wait until Kirby's Dream Land 3 or Kirby Super Star comes out on the Virtual Console.

Vermachtnis
04-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Phantasy Star II is one of the greatest games ever. Dungeons are very, very long and hard though.

Momiji
04-09-2008, 02:34 AM
If you want my honest suggestion, get Kid Icarus.

I have been debating whether or not to get Breath of Fire 2 or Phantasy Star 2 as well. :p

Evastio
04-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Basically Breath of Fire II is like a simplified (in gameplay, character developement, and story) user friendly version of the SNES Final Fantasy games. The graphics and music are also more lighthearted and cartoony.

qwertysaur
04-09-2008, 02:52 AM
If you want my honest suggestion, get Kid Icarus.

Yes. This game is so much fun. :p

Roto13
04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Breath of Fire II is awesome. You don't really need to have played the first one to enjoy it, either. There are a few references, but it's not really important. My vote goes to that.

NeoCracker
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Breath of Fire II is awesome. You don't really need to have played the first one to enjoy it, either. There are a few references, but it's not really important. My vote goes to that.

Damn straight.

As far as Story Goes, BoF 2 remains one of my favorite game stories to date.

The Shaman Fusions you get access to later in the game allow you to power up and morph your characters and alter their ablities and powers. (One Character you get actually has 3 completely different morph stages, compared to every one else getting one)

One of the better SNES RPG's.

Roto13
04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm sure the cat girl has something to do with your love of the game. xP

NeoCracker
04-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Actually in all the art I've seen, she has to much fur for my liking. :p

Nina is much cuter.

Edit: And if I swung that way, I'd so go with Rand. He's a mans man, that he is. :jokey:

Dreddz
04-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Phantasy Star II is one of the greatest games ever. Dungeons are very, very long and hard though.

Crossblades
04-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Breath of Fire II is worth the download. It's got a unique cast of characters and an easy to understand story. Trust me, you will enjoy it