PDA

View Full Version : UGLY DYNAST!

Dynast-Kid
04-09-2008, 03:46 AM
So, you all, I have decided that I am going to pursue a career in the field of artistry. Most of my useful talents mostly lie in the artistic (and writing) fields, and i've come to the conclusion that these should be what I pursue.

But more specifically, I have become interested in a career in fashion design. I have been told countless times that the outfits I draw on my characters look like something off of a runway! So, taking some of the comments i've gotten, I think that I might want to pursue a career in fashion design!

The thing is, what kind of (high school) classes do you think I should take to get into the fashion industry? Besides art, of course...I've done a little research, but i'd still like your suggestions!

Also, i'm only a freshman, but I am REALLY nervous about college! I am beginning to think that traditional college/university won't be what i'm looking for, and i'm thinking about maybe attending some sort of design school.

Got any suggestions on what things I should be focusing on for college? Any good colleges (in the US) you can think of?

NOTE: I am not totally basing the rest of my life on this, but these are just things I think I want to pursue. Those with experience in fashion/art, I especially want your input!

Oh, and the thread title...UGLY DYNAST = UGLY BETTY. Get it!? LOLOL...*fails*

Jessweeee♪
04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Does your school have a sewing or textile class?

I'm taking those this year, and you learn lots! You learn to sew, and you learn about the fashion industry and everything n.n

For the rest of the year we're working on making five outfits per student and then we're gonna have a fashion show.

Dynast-Kid
04-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Does your school have a sewing or textile class?

I'm taking those this year, and you learn lots! You learn to sew, and you learn about the fashion industry and everything n.n

For the rest of the year we're working on making five outfits per student and then we're gonna have a fashion show.

WTF!? I'm soooo jealous!

My school does actually have a class similair to that. It's called Retail Operations, but instead of actual fashion design, I think it focuses more on the marketing, selling, and pricing of clothing, the history of fashion, and predicting fashion trends. A bit disappointing (considering what YOU'VE got), but I think i'll definitely look into it! Maybe Junior year...

Shiny
04-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Pratt Institute / fashion design (http://www.pratt.edu/fashion_design)

If you want to pursue Fashion then Pratt Institute is probably where you should go. It's especially good because it's right in New York which has a big fashion industry as I'm sure you know, so you can get internships for fashion there more easily than you would where you're currently living. It also offers BFA in fine arts, film/video, animation and all that good stuff, so if you decide to change your major you can change it something like drawing.

Dynast-Kid
04-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Pratt Institute / fashion design (http://www.pratt.edu/fashion_design)

If you want to pursue Fashion then Pratt Institute is probably where you should go. It's especially good because it's right in New York which has a big fashion industry as I'm sure you know, so you can get internships for fashion there more easily than you would where you're currently living. It also offers BFA in fine arts, film/video, animation and all that good stuff, so if you decide to change your major you can change it something like drawing.

Oh my God. Shiny, I didn't think it was possible I could love you even more. xD

Thanks for the link! Sounds like an outstanding place! I'm DEFINITELY going to keep my eye on it! Definitely. I've always wanted to try living in New York!

Jessweeee♪
04-10-2008, 04:52 AM
They're trying to get rid of all classes except core subjects and art :cry:

Dynast-Kid
04-14-2008, 03:18 AM
They're trying to get rid of all classes except core subjects and art :cry:

JERKS! :mad2:

I would kill for a class like yours.

Marky Tee
09-18-2008, 11:34 PM
now theres nothing wrong with thinkin ahead but the way i see it,and am probably wrong cause im just baseing this on movies ive saw well ameriacns put far too much pressure on their kidds to go to college
almost to the point where they are an outcast if they dnt go
as i said probs wrong in this opinion

Aerith's Knight
09-19-2008, 12:35 AM
You can't go wrong with physics. xD

Moon Rabbits
09-19-2008, 03:58 AM
Sewing and textile classes, like Jesse said, or maybe even cosmetics and hairstyling if they are offered ... not exactly "fashion design," but probably will help you get into it.

I'm not sure how common those courses are, though. Sewing / textiles aren't offered at my school, but the cosmetics and hairstyling courses are (albeit through a co-op-ish program, but they're classes nonetheless).

KoShiatar
09-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Ollldddddddddd.