PDA

View Full Version : E.V.O. - The Search for a Viable Alternative to Intelligent Design

Captain Maxx Power
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/EVO_Search_For_Eden_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Having acquired a SNES emulator for my PSP, one of the fine gems I've been playing recently is E.V.O. This game just plain rocks my socks. It's kind of like an arcade version of the upcoming Spore game. There's no where near as much customisation, but the funnest part is still coming up with some strange combinations. Some of my own personal favourites include a bird with the head of a T-Rex, a miniture horse and a lizard with a head twice the size of it's body.

How much do you love this game, cause I love it a lot.

.:kerrod:.
04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
sa-weet, checkin' that one out XD

Gilthanes
04-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I played this game, oh goodness at least 7-8 years ago on an Emulator, probably longer than that. It was an age that I hadnt really been taught much about evolution yet. And it was so funny, because I played that game, and when I started learning about evolution in textbooks, and the fossil record, I thought back to the game and remembered "Oh ya, thats right..."

Sure, its extremely fictional, and some of the chronology of it is mixed up, but its actually a pretty decent "wide view" of Evolution, starting with fishes, those fish evolving into having feet like body parts, holding their breath and adventuring onto land, eventually being able to breath oxygen, reptiles come about, end of the dinosaurs, mammals prosper, etc

Roogle
04-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I was not aware of this game. I am surprised that a niche title like this was released in North America.

This game falls outside of my scope, but it is nice to see that a game like this was released outside of Japan. It allows game developers and publishers a chance to view the metrics involved in bringing similar games to a new region.

Gilthanes
04-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm not even sure it was, it may just be a translated ROM. I dont remember ever seeing it for sale in stores back in the day, but that doesnt prove anything.

EVO is very easily played on Emulator tho, rawr :)

Bahamut2000X
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Ah E.V.O. that was a great game. I remember my killer rabbit.

Roogle
04-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm not even sure it was, it may just be a translated ROM. I dont remember ever seeing it for sale in stores back in the day, but that doesnt prove anything.

EVO is very easily played on Emulator tho, rawr :)

This article on Wikipedia about E.V.O.: Search for Eden states a release date of 1993 in North America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.V.O.:_Search_for_Eden#cite_note-dates-0).

leilei
04-29-2008, 07:06 PM
It was fun until that bird infested fortress. Frustration there ended my adventure :(

ljkkjlcm9
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I was a bit dissapointed that they made it so evolving into a man was actually the best option come the end of the game. I mean, I can understand as we do prosper on the planet now, but I wanted some completely unique thing that wasn't realistic or something.

THE JACKEL

Bahamut2000X
06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
I beat the game as my Rhino/Tiger monstrosity, and while waiting for the final boss to die, I eventually evolved into a human. XD

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Everyone should play this game for the soundtrack alone. It was composed by Koichi Sugiyama, composer for the Dragon Quest series, but it's even better than his work on those games. In addition to the original SFC synth, two separate arranged versions of the soundtrack were released in Japan--with good reason.

NeoCracker
06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Saddly I found the game itself rather lame.

Though the music was nice.

JKTrix
06-18-2008, 01:38 PM
...composed by Koichi Sugiyama...
Sold.

...but it's even better than his work on [DQ].

Double sold. I generally prefer Sugiyama's music, it was one of the reasons I picked up Shiren the Wanderer. Will be firin' up the emulator tonight.