PDA

View Full Version : In which do you perform best: Exams or Assignments?

Jess
04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I’m one of those people who stress out before exams, worrying that I’ll fail and that I’ll forget everything that I need to know – but when it comes down to it, I perform quite well and end up getting better grades than I expected.

The course I am doing now is all coursework and assignments, and no exams. This suits me better, because I like to be able to put time and effort into my work so I can reach the high standards that I’m aiming for. I usually feel more relaxed and at home doing assignments (when I’m not panicking about the fact that I’ve left it until the last minute) and end up achieving better grades than in exams. :jess:

In which do you perform best: Exams or Assignments?

Aerith's Knight
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
I do better at assignments, because im too lazy to properly study for exams..

Rye
04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm better in exams because I tend to slack off in assignments. I naturally retain knowledge pretty well so I can go into an exam, not study, and still pull of an A.

Madame Adequate
04-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I do better in assignments. I am excellent at writing papers, so those bring in the high grades. Exams I still do well in, but not as well as essays. My presentations usually get about the same as my exams do though.

Dolentrean
04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
It depends, sometimes I will knock a paper out of the park, but for the most part I would say exams are my bread and butter.

Captain Maxx Power
04-10-2008, 02:15 AM
Assignments by far. I excel in them far more than exams. I have more time to use my skills and do the very best job I can. I'm not one for remembering hard facts but prefer to channel readily available information into something useful. Of course if I am adept at a subject then the exams usually go well. Still doesn't stop me from stressing out and having full-blown panic attacks before every exams I take. :(

blackmage_nuke
04-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Exams

Assignments are procrastination magnets to me

Heath
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I do tend to slack off with assignments, but I do find them easier. It's nice in subjects like History, Psychology and English when you need a quote or a statistic or something and you're able to have the books at hand to use them to their best effect. Sometimes it's just not possible to learn everything you for an exam.

Having said that, I've always done pretty well with essay-based examinations. I got the top grades in the two subjects that were mainly assessed by essay examinations (History and Psychology). And as for English exams (only about 40% of the final grade), on the paper that required knowing the texts needed for the exam well, I got the top grade on that individual paper. Sadly an uncharacteristically poor first paper (critical commentary) took my English grade down some. But by and large I do well in either, but I prefer assignments if only because there's less of a sense of panic with them.

Kes
04-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Exams

Same here. So much so (especially if it's busy work) that most of it doesn't end up getting turned in unless there's some sort of late policy.

fire_of_avalon
04-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Both? I do pretty evenly at both, though I prefer assignments to exams.

Ouch!
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Assignments, most definitely.

scrumpleberry
04-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Assignments if the marks actually count towards your final result. Having time to go back and check what you've done the next day is invaluable to me. I still wind up writing most of it at 4 in the morning, mind XD

I haven't handed in an assignment late yet, and I don't plan to.

I can't STAND exams where you have to write essays. All my writing juice flies out and squiggles weirdly on the page. Naturally I can write well but in exams my style just doesn't feel consistent or smooth. I look back at what I've done and think "WTF is this carp?"

Also, I procrastinate badly when it comes to revision. I got a very low B in my biology mock sans revision OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE :kaocry2:

Vermachtnis
04-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Exams

I have a problem with assignments. They have to be done and don't like doing them. Exams are easy. All I have to do is stay awake. But of course that's a problem too.

Vivisteiner
04-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Exams. Once I go into an exam room the adrenaline starts pumping and I go into super mode. Questions I usually struggle with suddenly become as clear as day. I end up acing everything.

Spuuky
04-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Exams. Once I go into an exam room the adrenaline starts pumping and I go into super mode. Questions I usually struggle with suddenly become as clear as day. I end up acing everything.
Yeah, I power-up and become unstoppable when I have a short time limit. Of course this applies to assignments as well if I put them off for long enough, so I do just as well on them, but I prefer exams because they take less total time.

Del Murder
04-21-2008, 02:00 AM
I prefer assignments because I am the opposite. The more time I have, the better I can do.

Randgris
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm better in exams because I tend to slack off in assignments. I naturally retain knowledge pretty well so I can go into an exam, not study, and still pull of an A.

I'm too lazy to make assignments.

The Unknown Guru
04-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I have never studied for a test in my life and I've never gotten below a B. Because of this, I can usually just skip an assignment if I don't feel like doing it.

eestlinc
05-05-2008, 05:47 AM
Yea, the pressure and time limit of an exam helps me focus. I also like performing.

But anyone who says exams are easy should go to law school.

Arc_Master_14
05-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Exams

Kokichi
05-20-2008, 03:49 AM
Exams.

They're usually more important, so I focus more harder on them.

I hardly ever do my assignments.

See above.

Jimsour
05-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Exams are grand, you can allow for a few mistakes here and there and you don't need to reference the vast majority of your points which i'm terrble at, even if what I'm saying is 1005 truthful and the lecturer knows so.

Can do a bit of studying before an exam, walk in, pull out the pen, write for 3 hours, walk out, never hear of it again.

Jessweeee♪
05-24-2008, 12:58 AM
I am equally horrible with both.

Moon Rabbits
07-08-2008, 06:19 AM
I can pull down fine marks in all my classes, until I write my exams. I usually go into exams with high 80s - low 90s and come out with low 80s.

Exams make me sweaty and shaky and sometimes I feel like passing out. YAY ANXIETY.

crono_logical
07-14-2008, 01:22 AM
exams, since I'm usually good at memorising large chunks of stuff for short periods of time :p

~*~Celes~*~
07-23-2008, 06:34 AM
It depends on the subject, tbh. Math I just suck at all around =[

Rye
07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
exams, since I'm usually good at memorising large chunks of stuff for short periods of time :p

I am the master at this.

But in an assignment, if it's an essay, then I do the best of all.

Zeldy
07-24-2008, 11:32 PM
So assignments are like coursework, work that goes toward your final grade? I have never, ever used the term 'assignment' :(

I hate exams, I hate how someone always has a cold that sits near you, or your desk squeaks, your pen runs out, your stomach growls something crazy, you're dying to pee, you mis-read the question (I did this on an English paper and managed to get a C, I was so chuffed ^_^) or you've revised the total wrong topics for the paper. After I finish giving the heavy breather a load of nasty looks I start on the paper and generally do okay.