PDA

View Full Version : Were sorry, this music is reseverved.

qwertysaur
04-09-2008, 07:10 PM
This thread is not about BGM for a final boss.

Battle on the Big Bridge. J-E-N-O-V-A. Fighting of the spirit. These are some amazing pieces of music that play during boss battles. However, they also have another thing in common, they only play for a few battles and thats it. Sure it may give the music a unique meaning, but can the small amount of playings take away from the impact of the
song?

Personally I think that the special music makes the battle more memorable. Like during the battle with Jenova-Life, Aeris theme makes the battle much more memorable than if the standard boss theme played. The way that music fit the emotions of the party made the fight much more memorable then a standard fight. However, I don't think the practice should be overused, because then it would take away from the impact of the battle.

Monkey4Soul
04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Is Thoughts in My Heart Aerith's theme?

Takara
04-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Not only can it make the battle more memorable, it also helps gamers understand that this isn't just their regular boss battle.

I remember the first time I played (and beat) Final Fantasy IV. On my first encounter against Scarmiglione, the one where you fight him and a bunch of his zombie pals, I didn't think much of him. Just a regular boss with the regular boss music, right? Then you cross the bridge and BAM! He's back, and the battle music is different. You then realise "Oh s***, that's no regular boss!". The effect wouldn't have been the same if the regular boss music played the second time.

Kes
04-10-2008, 06:33 AM
I can't argue with this practice at all. Mostly because not only is it an effective way to portray meanings, as has already been mentioned, but it allows for more music. This is especially awesome when the music is well done which is pretty much a constant in the FF games I've played.

I agree it shouldn't be overdone either. After all, repetitive music also gives the game something. At the very least that something is a unique audio fingerprint.

Goldenboko
04-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Battle on the Bridge is the most win battle music ever. FFXII justified its awesomeness.

That is all I have to say on this matter.

Vivisteiner
04-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I love Clash on the Big Bridge and J-E-N-O-V-A. There's One Winged Angel as well. You're not alone plays while there is battling and Messenger of Destruction is awesome. So is The Extreme.

Lots of amazing battle music from Nobuo.

The Ceej
04-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Aeris theme makes the battle much more memorable than if the standard boss theme played.

It also throws you off, which I think is its sub-purpose. Yeah, it makes it memorable and emotional, but a beautiful, slow song playing during a major boss battle kind of slows you down and takes your guard down which attempts to make the battle harder than it is.

Battle on the Bridge is the most win battle music ever.

That goes with out saying. This is something everyone who deserves to live already knows.

Roto13
04-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Zelda games often use unique boss music for all of their bosses. It makes me sad that the Molgera music only plays for one fight in Wind Waker. It's in Smash Bros. Brawl, though, so that makes me very happy!

Heath
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I like it within reason. If it were overdone I don't think people'd appreciate the music so much nor would the battles seem quite so dramatic. Beatrix's battle music, for instance, really gives the impression that you're about face someone really tough and high-ranking. Battle on the Big Bridge, is naturally, great and one of the reasons why I find Gilgamesh to be so memorable a character in FFV. Wasn't so keen on J-E-N-O-V-A (I prefer Jenova Absolute myself), but again, it really adds something to the battle. I like it within moderation. I think though if something as awesome as Four Fiends' battle music might seem a bit run of the mill if it were used more than on a few separate occasions.

Markus. D
04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I LOVE J-E-N-O-V-A... seriously!

:D!

I love the original most :]

KentaRawr!
04-14-2008, 01:41 AM
In a story heavy experience, having unique music for various parts makes that part of the game unique to the rest, and establishes its own place in your mind. That's groovylicious, if you ask me.

Roogle
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I believe that diversity in battle themes is imperative to the success of the soundtrack. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht had only two battle themes in its entire multidisc soundtrack, and it paid a heavy price for it from reviewers.