PDA

View Full Version : Looking to the Future

Ouch!
04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
There's not an awful lot that we know about the new MMORPG SE has planned. We know for sure that it's not FFXI-2 in that it doesn't take place in Vana'Diel, but it supposedly will inhabit a world already established by some other Square Enix world (here's to hoping it's Ivalice).

While there's no evidence to suggest that the game will play at all like Final Fantasy XI, I get the feeling that the basic mechanics will be, for the most part, the same (especially because FFXII plays so much like FFXI). In the end, this may not be true, but for the sake of this thread, let's just assume that the gameplay in the new MMORPG is at least based on that of FFXI.

What, then, would you want SE to improve? What aspects of the Final Fantasy XI system could use a sprucing up for when they're implemented in the next MMO? Be as specific or as vague as you want, I just think this is a good way to look at FFXI's flaws and strengths and suggest how the next MMO could be something made of awesome and win.

G3ORGE
04-09-2008, 08:47 PM
There making another?

Del Murder
04-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Less grinding between levels.

Ultimage
04-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Either fix the problem with walking up stairs/over ledges (like in Ordelle's or Leujaoam Sanction) or give us button. Probably the latter to shut up the people that have begged for it for years.

Rostum
04-10-2008, 06:35 AM
I hope it's in a more modern direction than the current one. FFXI's MMO system is starting to become out-dated when compared to the newer MMO's that are coming out (like Age of Conan and Aion) -- I hope SE have taken what they've learnt from developing FFXI and bring us something that is far more innovative and unique.

Otherwise, I'll just stick with looking forward to Aion.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, FFXI was brilliant... it's just that the gaming industry has developed a bit further since then (at least in western societies) to be more fast paced.

P.P.S Please! Do not call this next one "Final Fantasy", it just seems to throw the fan base out of whack and I really don't want to see more of "is this game off-line?" or "this isn't Final Fantasy!" threads popping up for the next 5 years...

nozkits
04-10-2008, 07:44 AM
I hope it's in a more modern direction than the current one. FFXI's MMO system is starting to become out-dated when compared to the newer MMO's that are coming out (like Age of Conan and Aion) -- I hope SE have taken what they've learnt from developing FFXI and bring us something that is far more innovative and unique.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, FFXI was brilliant... it's just that the gaming industry has developed a bit further since then (at least in western societies) to be more fast paced.

P.P.S Please! Do not call this next one "Final Fantasy", it just seems to throw the fan base out of whack and I really don't want to see more of "is this game off-line?" or "this isn't Final Fantasy!" threads popping up for the next 5 years...
Well not to sound cynical, but I think SE isn't going to change a thing, and all the hardcore FFXI fanboys will just call everyone pansies and tell them that it's old skool and old skool is better, but it isn't like golden age rap. When you compare FFXI to newer MMO's. It's like screw FFXI. FFXI use to make me naw out my eyeballs because everything took too fing loong. Let me play Aion instead.

Basically it might be hoping that it's fan base keep them up, but they can barely compete with WoW, but SE is more interested in developing its single player games more so than the MMO's (as evident by the lack of upkeep on FFXI). Basically players had to get on all fours and take it up the poop shoot for years until SE decided to do something.

I'm done with MMOs and FFXI was the one that made me hate them. It may not sound rational, but in the end it is. Because to some extent all MMOs aren't meant for casual players and maybe there are casual players but then you reach a point in the game where you have to dedicate yourself to the game, and I spend more time traveling. So I definitely can't do MMOs again.

Rostum
04-10-2008, 07:50 AM

Well not to sound cynical, but I think SE isn't going to change a thing, and all the hardcore FFXI fanboys will just call everyone pansies and tell them that it's old skool and old skool is better, but it isn't like golden age rap. When you compare FFXI to newer MMO's. It's like screw FFXI. FFXI use to make me naw out my eyeballs because everything took too fing loong. Let me play Aion instead.

Basically it might be hoping that it's fan base keep them up, but they can barely compete with WoW, but SE is more interested in developing its single player games more so than the MMO's (as evident by the lack of upkeep on FFXI). Basically players had to get on all fours and take it up the poop shoot for years until SE decided to do something.

I'm done with MMOs and FFXI was the one that made me hate them. It may not sound rational, but in the end it is. Because to some extent all MMOs aren't meant for casual players and maybe there are casual players but then you reach a point in the game where you have to dedicate yourself to the game, and I spend more time traveling. So I definitely can't do MMOs again.

No offense, but a lot of what you said is fairly baseless and not true. FFXI is probably the next big thing to WoW (WoW having the most subscribers and FFXI having as much subscribers as LotR:O and EQ2 put together). And there is no sign that SE would make their next MMO exactly like FFXI, it would be an extremely bad direction as far as business goes in the industry.

Also, there is no reason why SE should stick to just making single-player games. The industry is moving more and more towards multiplayer type of games, and you need to keep in mind that FFXI was brought out when MMO's were still fairly young (I think they only had Ultima, EQ and PSO out at that stage?). Either way, they are such a huge company that there is no reason for them to stick to their single-player RPG series -- and now with FFXI being developed over the many years they have a team that is experienced in the MMO world of gaming it'd be stupid not to have them utilised more.

Whether you like MMO's or not is your opinion I guess. I for one like them, but find them hard to get into.

Germ Hamee
04-11-2008, 02:44 AM
I hope they cut the amount of time you have to devote to getting basically nowhere. Sure, it's an on-line game, but I think total reliance on multiplayer was a bad idea when there is SO much to do in the game. Pretty much the only thing I can do is farm gil and craft while I'm waiting for groups, or waiting for people to help out with a Genkeii or mission. It's also kind of frustrating that you have to rely on higher leveled players so much through your first course of the game.

That's my biggest quip. I love the game, but it requires some serious devotion and is just really inaccessible for a more casual gamer.

nozkits
04-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I hope they cut the amount of time you have to devote to getting basically nowhere. Sure, it's an on-line game, but I think total reliance on multiplayer was a bad idea when there is SO much to do in the game. Pretty much the only thing I can do is farm gil and craft while I'm waiting for groups, or waiting for people to help out with a Genkeii or mission. It's also kind of frustrating that you have to rely on higher leveled players so much through your first course of the game.

That's my biggest quip. I love the game, but it requires some serious devotion and is just really inaccessible for a more casual gamer.

especially in this age. Not everyone has 12 hours a week to devote to a video game just to get 0.1% progress.

I think SE hates its customers.

Markus. D
04-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I'd lessen the grind... (I don't mind the penalty... :]) to level up.

and well, devotion/devoted isn't the word.

People are expected to be zealous to a point of almost lifeless-ness to get anything done within a day/week, turns more common people off of the game (which is really quite brilliant).

Germ Hamee
04-12-2008, 10:04 AM

People are expected to be zealous

Wait. What?

Siegfried
04-14-2008, 12:58 AM
They already have some pictures out that you can check out and yes, it looks like it will be Ivalice.

My idea is that they will take the basic system of FF12 and superimpose that onto an MMO RPG, essentially picking your job based on the character types of the game.

Prob: Sky Pirate, Imperial Knight, Thief, Priest, Wizard etc.

Ouch!
04-14-2008, 02:54 AM
They already have some pictures out that you can check out and yes, it looks like it will be Ivalice.

My idea is that they will take the basic system of FF12 and superimpose that onto an MMO RPG, essentially picking your job based on the character types of the game.

Prob: Sky Pirate, Imperial Knight, Thief, Priest, Wizard etc.
LINKS OR GTFO.

Rostum
04-14-2008, 03:24 AM

Except that there isn't. Any screenshots you may have seen of a possibly new Square-Enix MMO, are either an April Fool's joke that just passed or were screenshots of something much older (such as technical demonstrations or of Fantasy Earth; that never made it outside of Japan).

Unless of course, you can prove me wrong. ;)

Mirage
04-14-2008, 06:30 AM
LEss grinding for hours for gilz.

nozkits
04-14-2008, 10:13 AM
LEss grinding for hours for gilz.

Also it would be cool if it was still the world of FF11 with the far east included, but Vana'diel is post apocalyptic, and you can't leave it until level 50 XD. Which then you go through immigration to get to the Far East, and once there. It runs on terminator rules. YOu can't go back.

But like all MMO's too many players will start to be high level and the growth in newbies will eventually come to a halt.

So I guess the emphasis on more solo capabilities with jobs would be needed.

I'd lessen the grind... (I don't mind the penalty... :]) to level up.

People are expected to be zealous to a point of almost lifeless-ness to get anything done within a day/week, turns more common people off of the game (which is really quite brilliant).
It's surprisingly something I didn't expect a Japanese company to do.

Basically they ran on an American do it for the here and now mindset. In stead of doing it for the long run like most other foreign companies do.

So they targeted that group of gamers and made a lot of money for a period of time int he short run, but in the long run they have turned off a lot of gamers towards their products even their future ones. I mean it doesn't help that they're putting FF13 on the ps3(after sony's president made certain comments about its customers well yea that's what killed the ps3 though its still going and surviving. It hasn't released any good titles yet, and mgs 4 and ff13 are the only titles).

So yea SE might be losing some profits in the long-run, but they'll survive, and hopefully get it right in their future endeavors.

Crossblades
04-14-2008, 03:44 PM

That was an April fool's prank

Nagumo
04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't want to sound stupid but is this going to be a new FF or something new?

Roogle
04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
There is no new Final Fantasy title, Nagumo. The game in development referenced earlier in this thread was a prank over April Fools' Day.

Siegfried
04-16-2008, 12:34 AM
COULD I NOT MEAN THIS!!!
Rapture (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_Square_Enix_project)

YouTube - Final Fantasy Next-Gen MMO Concept Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Kceq4AbGk)

Ouch!
04-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Neither of those seem like sufficient evidence to support the claims you made, chief.

Siegfried
04-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Neither of those seem like sufficient evidence to support the claims you made, chief.

How so? Sure I just didn't Hide + SATA you?

Bahamut2000X
04-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Rapture is confirmed at this point, though SE hasn't told us anything about it. All we know is it's by the same guys who are working on FFXI, hence why FFXI is now being ignored by SE for the most part to work on Rapture.

Roogle
04-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Rapture is a conceptual name. It is unknown whether this is going to be a new Final Fantasy game or a new series. Square Enix will likely not release any information on this title until it is further along in development.

Bahamut2000X
04-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Hopefully it fares better then Fantasy Earth did.