PDA

View Full Version : New Twists on old Classics

Dolentrean
04-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Tim Burton is making a new Alice in Wonderland movie, I personally think this is a great idea, before I had ever heard of that he was making it I thought it would be a good idea to have a darker, more twisted version of Alice in Wonderland.

What do you think of Tim Burton taking on the Classic story? Are there any classic films or stories you would like to see done with a new, perhaps more serious or darker twist?

Miriel
04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I've heard some awful casting rumors surrounding this movie. Just awful.

I really hope they go for an unknown actress for Alice, otherwise I don't think the whole suspension of disbelief thing will work so well. Tim Burton can be a genius, and so it'd be interesting to see what kind of dark places he goes with the story.

And if he casts Johnny Depp or his wife Helena Bonham Carter in this movie, I'm gonna punch him in the nuts.

Flying Mullet
04-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Tim Burton's movies seem to either be really good or really bad, with no middle ground, so the prospect of this movie both excites and worries me.

Breine
04-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Is he really? That makes me very happy! :) I really dig Tom Burton, he's bitchin'... and I've always had a soft spot for Alice in Wonderland. If anyone should ever make a movie based on that book it should really be him. It's a match made in movie-based-on-a-book-heaven, really.

There's also another Alice movie in the works, with Sarah Michelle Gellar as the lead (although it's based on the video game by American McGee).. I presume that Burton's version will be more awesome, though.

Anywayz, topic: Hmm, a more serious/darker live-action version of The Little Mermaid, The Beauty and the Beast and The Hunchback of Notre Dame would also be neat. I really like those stories.

Necronopticous
04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Tim Burton is making a new Alice <STRIKE>and</STRIKE> Wonderland movieThe last thing Dodgson's literary masterpiece needs is a trite and pretentious film reiteration.

Tim Burton should really keep his hands off of the works of others. Hasn't he done enough damage, already?

Marshall Banana
04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Alice in Wonderland doesn't need a makeover. :gruffi:

Araciel
04-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Exactly.

Darker, more twisted?

Why?

Boney King
04-09-2008, 10:56 PM
What I like about the classic Alice In Wonderland story is that it is really open to interpretation. There are so many different ways of looking at the story in terms of subtext.

As for this movie, not too keen on the idea. I have yet to be disappointed by any Burton film (haven't seen all of them), but I know lots of aspects of the original story will be ignored in favour of style and attracting the Hot Topic crowd.

Classic stories I want remade: Pinocchio, and I know there was a live action rendition years ago, but I'm lazy and don't wanna look it up.

Miriel
04-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Pan's Labyrinth was inspired in part by Alice in Wonderland, and Pan's Labyrinth was absolutely stunning.

If Burton can transform the story and elevate it with grace and sophistication, it can be a really great thing to see. But FM has a point that Burton has a tendency to either be really great or really terrible with the work that he produces.

LunarWeaver
04-10-2008, 12:21 AM
There's also another Alice movie in the works, with Sarah Michelle Gellar as the lead (although it's based on the video game by American McGee).. I presume that Burton's version will be more awesome, though.

I wonder if that will ever get made. It's been on-and-off for so long :aimmad: Sarah even (half) joked she'll have to play the Queen because she'll be too old to play Alice.

I think this movie could be cool. I like Burton n' such. I'm not going to judge one way or another until I see some kind of trailer, though.

Dolentrean
04-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Pan's Labyrinth was inspired in part by Alice in Wonderland, and Pan's Labyrinth was absolutely stunning.

Great example, I agree with Miriel.

Germ Hamee
04-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I've been waiting for Burton to do Alice in Wonderland. I'm excited for it. I think his off-the-wall style is really fitting of the story. Ever since American McGee's Alice, I've been pretty thirsty for some nice twisted Alice action in the movies.

As far as other movies I'd like to see with a darker twist: pretty much any classic fairy tale. They were all pretty fucked up and dark in the first place, so it seems only natural to me.

Captain Maxx Power
04-10-2008, 02:05 AM
I'm not a massive fan of Tim Burton, so I'll not hold my breath over this. No idea what I'd like to see remade. I'm more a fan of new ideas rather than rehashes of old ones.

Shlup
04-10-2008, 04:22 AM
If Burton can transform the story and elevate it with grace and sophistication, it can be a really great thing to see. But FM has a point that Burton has a tendency to either be really great or really terrible with the work that he produces.

What she said. *nod*

Also, Miriel, share your casting rumors? I'm curious.

Breine
04-10-2008, 08:39 AM

I wonder if that will ever get made. It's been on-and-off for so long :aimmad: Sarah even (half) joked she'll have to play the Queen because she'll be too old to play Alice.

They better make it. If it's any good it would be really good for her career... Yes, I am a Buffy fan :P

Roto13
04-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Exactly.

Darker, more twisted?

Why?

Well, it was based on a great big drug trip. :P

They better make it. If it's any good it would be really good for her career... Yes, I am a Buffy fan :P

Sarah Michelle Gellar actually owns the rights to it.

Jessweeee♪
04-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Could be interesting...could be awful!

We'll have to wait and see :spin:

Miriel
04-11-2008, 12:43 AM

What she said. *nod*

I've heard of both Dakota Fanning and Lindsey Lohan being considered for the role of Alice. Although, these rumors aren't exactly coming from reputable sources. Still, no bueno!

Shoeberto
04-11-2008, 12:54 AM
American McGee's Alice was sort of interesting, if a bit over the top at parts (not in the fantastical way of Tim Burton - more like a heavy metal cover album) so I could see it being good if it all went together just right. Pretty good chance it could be absolutely awful, too. I'll wait and see.

Roto13
04-11-2008, 12:19 PM

What she said. *nod*

I've heard of both Dakota Fanning and Lindsey Lohan being considered for the role of Alice. Although, these rumors aren't exactly coming from reputable sources. Still, no bueno!

Considering Dakota Fanning is (I guess) in her early teens and Lindsay Lohan is in her slutty 20s, it seems unlikely that they would be up for the same role. xP Unless it's animated.

Polaris
04-11-2008, 03:03 PM
If he's making a new film then for sure me and my bf will see it being him a huge fan of Tim Burton! And I'm into fairytales and classics these days so I would even loved to see an evil gothic Cinderella xD