PDA

View Full Version : The biggest mystery that FFVII asks us to ponder

DK
04-09-2008, 10:11 PM
...How exactly does Bugenhagen float? What IS he?

Final Fantasy VII is easily my favourite game in the entire series, and possibly of all time. And though it has a host of excellent characters, including the all time legend that is known as Sailor Suit Barret, Bugenhagen has always stood out to me as just being made of sheer, untainted AWESOME. But he floats. And he is the grandfather of a doggy. Try as I might, I have never been quite able to figure out what the hell Bugenhagen is supposed to be. Has his immense knowledge of Planet and everything around it elevated him to a level beyond mere mortals? Is he secretly hiding a jet pack up his shirt just to look cool? Has he simply smoked far too much of Aeris' weed? (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vii/59430-aeris-flower-girl-more-like-weed-girl-if-you-ask-me.html) I don't know. And that is why I put the question to you, good fellows of EoFF.

Marky Tee
04-09-2008, 10:19 PM
all i know is that he is the adoptive grandfather of nanaki
god knows how he floats

blackmage_nuke
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
This must mean FFVI is made of shear awesomeness because anyone in VI can float!! (as long as someone knows the spell)

Flying Mullet
04-09-2008, 10:32 PM
A can of pinto beans and anything's possible.

XxSephirothxX
04-09-2008, 10:34 PM
He sits on a magic green floating ball, obviously.

BG-57
04-09-2008, 11:38 PM
I always thought he was an animated version of one of those inflatable bopping clowns. Or a giant Weeble.

DK
04-10-2008, 12:36 AM
This must mean FFVI is made of shear awesomeness because anyone in VI can float!! (as long as someone knows the spell)

Nah, everyone in FFVII can float but Bugenhagens ridiculous weight of Awesomeness just forces them onto the floor. He is that good.

Kenshin IV
04-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Bugenhagen floats, but the Chocobo Sage floats, is purple, AND wears an awesome hat. The Sage gets no love.

And bringing up Six in a Seven thread when there was absolutely no reason for it whatsoever? Why, that's almost as rare as bringing "Seven sucks" into Six discussions for no reason whatsoever!

Durp hurr hurr.

Big D
04-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm assuming he uses a kind of gravity materia, or something based on it. Good substitute for a wheelchair, especially in the ladder-obsessed town of Cosmo Canyon.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-10-2008, 01:09 AM
He sits on a magic green floating ball, obviously.This is it. The game's graphics just didn't do the best job of making it clear, so it looks like his body just tapers off to a stump.

Flying Mullet
04-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Maybe he wears invisible pants and rocks back and forth on the balls of his feet all the time?

Big D
04-10-2008, 01:33 AM
He sits on a magic green floating ball, obviously.This is it. The game's graphics just didn't do the best job of making it clear, so it looks like his body just tapers off to a stump.Ah. He's actually sitting on that thing? I previously assumed he'd either lost his legs, or that they were inside the... object. Do you have any of his concept art? It'd be neat to see how he was originally envisaged.

Captain Maxx Power
04-10-2008, 02:25 AM
He's a sage, like the Chocobo Sage. Sages float. Dur.

Relapse
04-10-2008, 02:05 PM
He doesn't float. He farts eternally, the force of the gas continually giving the illusion the he is 'floating'.

Aerith's Knight
04-10-2008, 03:35 PM
its weird nobody here saw the ropes hanging from the ceiling..

Breine
04-10-2008, 04:28 PM
He sits on a magic green floating ball, obviously.

Haha, yes either that or his legs are invisible. But yeah, I've often wondered that too.. he is a mystery that Bugenhagen.

Aerith's Knight
04-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I love how everyone is wondering about this instead of the question that since hes a floating human like creature, how on earth can he be the grandfather of a wolf-like creature?

aside from hojo's fetishes, that is..

BG-57
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I always assumed that he adopted Seto and isn't related by blood.

Dolentrean
04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
He is obviously Jesus! Jesus can float right?

Mercen-X
04-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Walk on water.

And I agree with that dude who brought up the Float spell. Just like Aerith was the only one who had the Holy materia and the Temple held the Black (meteor) materia and there's one of each Summon materia, only Bugie had the Float materia and no else could get it and the stubborn old man wouldn't give it up even after he freakin' died.

Dr. Acula
04-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I always thought he was sitting on an enchanted green pillow.

Bolivar
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
He's professor Gast. His eyes and legs were shot up, and that's why he has to be the way he is. Who else could know so much about the planet and its workings?

It's true...

cloud21zidane16
04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Hmm he used to work for Shinra, maybe he got infected with mako or something?:p

Randgris
04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
"Float Card!" *oops wrong forum...*

OneWingd
04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Gotta get me some of that Aeris' weed.

Wee-llllll, I guess he made himself an OAP mobility hover engine, and it's probably somewhere up his ass.

As for Nanaki/RedXIII: Bugenhagen is his adoptive grandfather, I think. Red is apparently or supposedly the last of his kind (what is really one of the biggest mysteries of FFVII is how he managed to have offspring as seen in the '500 years later' post-credits sequence), so Bugenhagen could not be a biological relative by any means.

Roogle
04-15-2008, 01:17 AM
This is it. The game's graphics just didn't do the best job of making it clear, so it looks like his body just tapers off to a stump.

Is that really it? Thank you for the clarification. I had a lot of trouble understanding some plot points because of the graphics.

Big D
04-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Red is apparently or supposedly the last of his kind (what is really one of the biggest mysteries of FFVII is how he managed to have offspring as seen in the '500 years later' post-credits sequence)Now *that* one is easy to answer: perhaps Hojo was mistaken when he said Nanaki was the last; he might simply be the last known member of his species.

OneWingd
04-15-2008, 01:40 AM
you're right, that was simple. I never thought of that before. xD

toad626
04-18-2008, 02:57 AM
I ponder why the FF7 geeks can't just accept that Aerith dies. She's dead. She's not coming back in any sequel and she can't be resurrected. She was the character to take that last flight for this installment. But this was the first FF for most people so they weren't even aware of Squaresoft's trend of killing characters at the time.

Rostum
04-18-2008, 04:57 AM
Wrong thread, there's been no mention of anyone wanting Aerith to be brought back to life here. :p