PDA

View Full Version : Materia in Advent Children

Dolentrean
04-09-2008, 11:51 PM
What did you think about how materia was handled in Advent Children? Loz stealing it was obviously just to remove the element of magic from the main characters, and what did you think about the bad guys absorbing it into there arms instead of there weapons? Would you have liked the main characters to use materia as well?

Big D
04-10-2008, 01:11 AM
I figure the bad guys could get away with 'absorbing' it because of what they are - manifestations of Sephiroth's spirit, not actual flesh-and-blood beings. Their use of Materia gives a hint about their true nature nature.
It would perhaps have been neat to see a grand faceoff between the two sides involving parties of three with materia as well as weapons... would've been awfully hard to keep track of just what was going on though.
Besides, our guys have Limit Breaks, which are magical enough on their own:p

Captain Maxx Power
04-10-2008, 02:25 AM
I really wanted to see the real-life logistics of using Materia. I'd have also loved a scene where Cloud gets pissed off because the Materia he's trying to equip won't fit in the socket properly.

Aerith's Knight
04-10-2008, 05:09 AM
I really wanted to see the real-life logistics of using Materia. I'd have also loved a scene where Cloud gets pissed off because the Materia he's trying to equip won't fit in the socket properly.

agreed.

but the equipping of the materia suited its purpose..

i wish i saw someone else than the bad guys using it though.

Dolentrean
04-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Yah, it would have been fun to see the good guys use materia at least near the begining of the movie.

Aerith's Knight
04-10-2008, 06:36 AM
wouldve been even better if cloud used like barrier and destruct in the final battle, as you wouldve expected if he had materia

Big D
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
wouldve been even better if cloud used like barrier and destruct in the final battleBut Kadaj and Sephiroth were Bosses, so Destruct materia wouldn't work on them :p At least, the Death spell wouldn't.

Aerith's Knight
04-11-2008, 06:13 PM
oh sry.. i meant debarrier.. i thought that was called destruct

Big D
04-12-2008, 03:07 AM
oh sry.. i meant debarrier.. i thought that was called destructDe-Barrier, De-Spell and Death are the spells contained in Destruct materia:)

The Crystal
04-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Hard to see the good guys using Materia:

-According to Nomura, the use of materia drains the planet's life energy, this being why the good guys don't use it anymore. There's not an explanation for why its use drains the planet's energy, but based on Sephiroth's explanation from the original game that materia links someone to the planet and allows them to use its powers, its most likely that the materia allows someone to tap into the Lifestream's energy and manifest it as a spell based on the specs of the materia they're using. This would, of course, drain the planet's energy, the same as turning it into electricity would.

Aerith's Knight
04-13-2008, 06:53 AM
oh sry.. i meant debarrier.. i thought that was called destructDe-Barrier, De-Spell and Death are the spells contained in Destruct materia:)

the Death spell works on end-boss sephiroth in FFVII.. so if hed use barrier here, i dont see why Cloud couldnt use destruct.. anyway, it would just give some good special effects :p

it would be a lot better to explain then reflecting bullets with your sword -_-

Soulforge
04-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Hard to see the good guys using Materia:

-According to Nomura, the use of materia drains the planet's life energy, this being why the good guys don't use it anymore. There's not an explanation for why its use drains the planet's energy, but based on Sephiroth's explanation from the original game that materia links someone to the planet and allows them to use its powers, its most likely that the materia allows someone to tap into the Lifestream's energy and manifest it as a spell based on the specs of the materia they're using. This would, of course, drain the planet's energy, the same as turning it into electricity would.

Hypothetically speaking (since I can't really contradict Nomura...), I'd think that the manufacturing of materia would tend to drain more of the planet's energy than anything. I mean, what would happen to the energy after the materia was used? I'd think that consumption would happen in the refining to mako and/or electricity process instead of channeling the raw form. Didn't the Ancients use materia?

Big D
04-13-2008, 08:04 AM
the Death spell works on end-boss sephiroth in FFVII.. so if hed use barrier here, i dont see why Cloud couldnt use destruct.. anyway, it would just give some good special effects :pBut you normally can't use Death in the final Sephiroth fight - unless you use hacks, I guess :p
it would be a lot better to explain then reflecting bullets with your sword -_-That's entirely plausible, assuming that the characters have the enhanced strength and reflexes to see where their opponent is aiming, and put a sword in the way. It also depends on their swords being made of something much tougher than steel, but that seems likely since Cloud's sword can shatter reinforced concrete and doesn't break under its own weight.

Skyblade
04-15-2008, 03:02 PM
It'd be a little anti-climactic. Cloud and Sephiroth prepare for epic battle again. Cloud casts death. Battle over...

Markus. D
04-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Dead Fantasy II already has shown us all the overwhelming ways anyone could use Materia xD

Jessweeee♪
04-23-2008, 02:29 AM
The only thing that bothered me in the least bit was Kadaj using green materia to summon xD

Big D
04-23-2008, 02:36 AM
The only thing that bothered me in the least bit was Kadaj using green materia to summon xDThat's by no means certain... we see him take a blue materia into his arm, and that same arm glows when he's summoning later on. But then, we know that those guys have a whole lot of materia in their arms. You can see that when Yazoo and Loz are dissolving at the end. So Kadaj was quite possibly using a different materia for his summoning. The glow was blue/green, not red, but that's the normal colour of spirit energy apparently :monster:

Mercen-X
04-28-2008, 07:19 PM
When you use enemy skills, a red aura encircles you. When you use magic, a green aura encircles you. No aura is present when you summon. Just a bunch of ancient symbols.

I think it's correct to assume that Cloud and the others really don't need materia at this point. Having a better understanding of the Planet, they can no doubt form a relationship with it that allows them to do things they weren't able to do in the past (such as jumping 80 feet in the air and destroying solid objects). By the way, I don't think Cloud's weapon is all that special. It's not the Ultima Weapon. It's just a bunch of swords that lock together. I think overall that Cloud's strength extends into his swords while he's fighting.

You could say that people all over the planet have latent LIMIT abilities granted them by the Planet upon their birth. I would bet that this is how the Cetra could defeat Jenova without materia (if they did). Of course, upon the discovery of materia, a lot of people would forget about their own abilities and simply rely on Mako. Pretty much everyone who uses LIMITs has a reason for why they'd know how to use them. Of course, Cid's only hint is his spear and his last name which might make us think he's been trained by a long line of warriors.

Saber
08-06-2008, 01:51 AM
I think they were putting the materia in armor when they did equip it. maybe thier jacket or something.

Jiro
08-06-2008, 11:54 AM
It would've been a nice touch, but I don't think the absence detracted from the movie at all. However, I want to know what types of materia Cloud had in that box. There was a bunch of it :)

champagne supernova
08-09-2008, 07:52 PM
It would've been a nice touch, but I don't think the absence detracted from the movie at all. However, I want to know what types of materia Cloud had in that box. There was a bunch of it :)

How do they know what materia is what though? Do you get a brainwave type thing when you touch it? Or do they secretly put labels in, so that they don't get confused.

And I think the Ancients could use Materia, because they could also increase the spirit energy of the planet. So they wouldn't feel guilty if they did.

Saber
08-09-2008, 08:49 PM

How do they know what materia is what though? Do you get a brainwave type thing when you touch it? Or do they secretly put labels in, so that they don't get confused.

And I think the Ancients could use Materia, because they could also increase the spirit energy of the planet. So they wouldn't feel guilty if they did.

Who else would have made the black and white materia?

PeneloRatsbane
08-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Yuffie makes a comment about how all the materia are to do with battles and magic, and how it must have been awful for the ancients because they must have always been fighting (no wonder they died out) so i figured that Materia had like Ancient knowledge in it, cos it comes from the life stream doesn't it.

Big D
08-10-2008, 06:11 AM
Yuffie makes a comment about how all the materia are to do with battles and magic, and how it must have been awful for the ancients because they must have always been fighting (no wonder they died out) so i figured that Materia had like Ancient knowledge in it, cos it comes from the life stream doesn't it.Yep, that's basically how it's explained in the game - materia, like some of the the Spheres in FFX, are distilled and condensed spirit energy that's been floating around the Lifestream. That can sometimes include memories or powers of particular individuals who've returned to the planet, such as the Ancients - who were spiritually in tune with the planet, and able to communicate with it and call on its powers. Which is what materia allows a regular person to do, albeit in a more limited way.

Christmas
05-25-2022, 11:29 AM
It is creepy when Yazoo just slot the Materia into his arm. :(