PDA

View Full Version : A Single Player or Offline Version

oddler
04-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Something I've always thought of while playing this game ever since I first started was how awesome it would be if it was able to be played without the hassles of online gaming.

Imagine creating a cast of six characters from the get-go and being able to play through without having to look for parties. Without dealing with offensive or ungrateful players. Without waiting. I realize a main point of online play is to interact with others and enjoy group settings. I'm just thinking of how much better this game could have been if it was made from an offline perspective.

How do you think the game would have been accepted if it was offline? What do you think the main differences would be and do you think it would have been more enjoyable offline than on? :greenie:

Flying Mullet
04-10-2008, 01:36 AM
It would be a huge undertaking and managing all of those characters would be interesting.

Since Final Fantasy XII was a step in that direction, who knows. Maybe in another few years to a decade the technology, AI and other needed aspects of game design and programming will be powerful, smart and strong enough to make this a reality.

Captain Maxx Power
04-10-2008, 02:29 AM
I think the main point of the game is the interaction you have with others players, and learning how to co-operate. It wouldn't be much fun to have to do everything on your own, especially when you compare the relative pointlessness of the tasks in FF11 compared to the more narratively driven recent releases.

Roto13
04-10-2008, 02:29 AM
It kind of misses the point of the game entirely, but I'd still play it. Oh, wait, I did. Final Fantasy XII. That was awesome.

Crossblades
04-10-2008, 02:31 AM
I think the main point of the game is the interaction you have with others players, and learning how to co-operate. It wouldn't be much fun to have to do everything on your own, especially when you compare the relative pointlessness of the tasks in FF11 compared to the more narratively driven recent releases.

It kind of misses the point of the game entirely.

Pretty much how I feel

Necronopticous
04-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Final Fantasy XI would be terrible as a single-player game. Everything that makes it fun revolves around the interactions you have and friendships you make with other players around the world.

Del Murder
04-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Some of it would be fun but a lot would just drag on. Especially leveling. And without the AH you would have a hard time making gil!

Ultimage
04-10-2008, 05:08 AM
For the most part, I would hate this game as a single player. Sure, I love the missions and some of the more unique quest, but I enjoy playing with my friends the most. Besides, most of my favorite, more recent in game memories involve my LSs Vent server.

oddler
04-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Hmm. Maybe I didn't word what I was thinking very well. :-/

I was thinking more along the lines of a hypothetical question. What if FFXI was never released as an online game? What if it was originally made similarly to its single-player predecessors?

Obviously, it would be missing the online interactions and team-building because it would be offline. And also obviously enough, the story and the little intricacies that make it what it is would be moved closer together to pre-empt boredom between the gaps in plot points.

Roto, I was thinking about that when I was typing the initial post, too. But the big differences are that there aren't set player characters in FFXI and that you have the option of multiple possible starting points.

nozkits
04-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Something I've always thought of while playing this game ever since I first started was how awesome it would be if it was able to be played without the hassles of online gaming.

Imagine creating a cast of six characters from the get-go and being able to play through without having to look for parties. Without dealing with offensive or ungrateful players. Without waiting. I realize a main point of online play is to interact with others and enjoy group settings. I'm just thinking of how much better this game could have been if it was made from an offline perspective.

How do you think the game would have been accepted if it was offline? What do you think the main differences would be and do you think it would have been more enjoyable offline than on? :greenie:

Or maybe they could stimulate it by having tons of NPCs like on Morrowind and Oblivion, but allow them to have their own back story etc etc. HAve it function like an MMO but offline. Even when you're outside the cities. Like have it were you are still competing with the NPCs or something I dunno...

It would be cool though, but no developer wants to invest the time to do something like that.

Hmm. Maybe I didn't word what I was thinking very well.

I was thinking more along the lines of a hypothetical question. What if FFXI was never released as an online game? What if it was originally made similarly to its single-player predecessors?

Obviously, it would be missing the online interactions and team-building because it would be offline. And also obviously enough, the story and the little intricacies that make it what it is would be moved closer together to pre-empt boredom between the gaps in plot points.

Roto, I was thinking about that when I was typing the initial post, too. But the big differences are that there aren't set player characters in FFXI and that you have the option of multiple possible starting points.
YOu can have it offline and be able to do that. It'll just take a lot of time to develop. But I do think video games in the RPG genre are heading that way. Atleast with the western developers.

Markus. D
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
It kind of misses the point of the game entirely, but I'd still play it. Oh, wait, I did. Final Fantasy XII. That was awesome.

No you didn't, despite the relative systems... the mechanics of FFXI are actually fun :]

as for the offline heck... I'd be happy with full parties of AI henchies I could take around... saves looking for a group.

Mirage
04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
It would be cool though, but no developer wants to invest the time to do something like that.

.hack

Roogle
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I think that Final Fantasy XII is as close as you can get to a single player version of Final Fantasy XI, as they share a lot of themes in their design and gameplay concepts.