PDA

View Full Version : games you almost missed out on that rock

Iceglow
04-11-2008, 01:07 AM
I have to admit to having only just acquired Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War the complete collection a few weeks back. I'm deep in the first pack of Dawn of War now on campaign mode and yet everything I read seems to say the campaign lacks something but I think it's awesome. Definitely by far the best Warhammer 40,000 game to ever have been released (previous ones being: Epic 40,000 Fires of Liberation, Warhammer 40,000 chaos gate which I believe is now available on the DS as Warhammer 40,000 Squad Command, Warhammer 40,000 Rites of War, on the PS1 Warhammer 40,000 Space hulk and it's sequel and the ps2 game Warhammer 40,000 Fire Warrior) on any format so far. I'm not a huge fan of RTS I prefer Turn Based Strategy similar to Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics. I've always found RTS too cluttered, too frantic for my liking however DoW really manages to bring back what I used to like about campaign on Starcraft and break that C&C mould of RUSH! I have to build the right sort of troops and machines to break through and then secure it as I go, the finite resource points that can be attacked and declare how big your base is and often stand out on their own allowing you to place only about 4 turrets to help secure the resources there. The fact that I used to collect Warhammer 40,000 table top game makes it even more fun as the models are highly detailed for an RTS and they've seemingly hit upon a good relation to the actual races. I have to admit I'm tempted to do a new 40k table top army to play with.

So what are the gaming gems you nearly missed out on recently?

Roto13
04-11-2008, 01:32 AM
I wasn't going to buy No More Heroes until like a week before it came out, and when I got my hands on it a month later (-_-) I really enjoyed it a lot.

A few years ago I wasn't going to bother to pick up Paper Mario 2, but a friend gave me a copy and I was blown away by it's awesomeness.

I had no idea what to get for Christmas the year before last so I just asked for Guitar Hero II. Man, THAT was bitchin'.

ljkkjlcm9
04-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Baroque. It just came out, but if I didn't get it this week, I wouldn't have gotten it. It's truly awesome. It's different than most RPG's I'm use to playing and really gets you wondering wtf is going on. Plus there's a lot more strategy as your level and stats and inventory all resets when you leave.

It not for your typical gamer though, probably why Nintendo Power gave it a 3/10

THE JACKEL