PDA

View Full Version : Shining Force!

Obsidian
04-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Well before Final Fantasy Tactics (but well after Fire Emblem) existed, there was this great series of strategy RPGs by SEGA/Camelot. I am a huge fan of these games and I consider the third game on the Sega Saturn to be one of the very greatest SRPGs on the market.

However, I feel that the PS2-era games of the series, which are somewhat Diablo-like, to be very disapointing. Since I am one of about 16 people who make up this series' fanbase, I guess it is sort of useless to wish for SEGA to put out an old-style Force game. :cry:

KentaRawr!
04-12-2008, 12:15 AM
It's not like those 3 are the only Strategy RPG's. There's also Bahumut Lagoon, and a bunch of other games that I totally can't remember.

Anyway, I was thinking about getting one of the Shining Force games on the Wii's VC, but I didn't. I think I'll get it next time. :3

oddler
04-12-2008, 03:26 AM
Ah, Shining Force. After the Eyeson Plays FFII event, I'm definitely playing this baby again.

Ryth
04-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Man, talk about nostalgia. I would spend hours playing Legacy Of The Great Intention without rest. I know that game like the back of my hand. Shining Force II was also epic.

Shining Tears is one of the worst RPGs I've ever played though. Ever.

Skyblade
04-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Man, talk about nostalgia. I would spend hours playing Legacy Of The Great Intention without rest. I know that game like the back of my hand. Shining Force II was also epic.

Shining Tears was better than Resurrection of the Dark Dragon.

Talk about butchering a great game. I loved Legacy of the Great Intention, and then they remake it and turn it into that...thing.

ljkkjlcm9
04-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I didn't play these games til after fire emblem, and I played them on an emulator >.>

They were quite enjoyable... and I enjoyed the magic in it.
The game overall was different enough from fire emblem, to make me enjoy certain aspects of it more.

THE JACKEL

scrumpleberry
04-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I got this on reccommendation on the Wii thing. I died. A lot. I guess I still need practise with it.

Nominus Experse
04-13-2008, 03:59 AM
Shining Force is indeed a game series that I dearly miss.

Bolivar
04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes. It's a shame SEGA has used the Shining franchise name, (even using the title "Shining Force" in one of them) in order to make these stylistically unrelated games. On one hand, I feel that if these games sell well, they'll eventually make a new Shining Force, or if I don't, maybe they'll have to resort to making a newer one sooner.

In any case, I haven't bought them, but if they were to make a, say, Shining Force IV, I would buy multiple copies. SFII is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, SF1 would be there, but I haven't beaten it yet. I think the least SEGA could do is release the scenarios of SFIII that never left Japan, or at the very least re-release Scenario 1.

Ryth
04-13-2008, 10:09 PM

Talk about butchering a great game. I loved Legacy of the Great Intention, and then they remake it and turn it into that...thing.

I haven't played the remake, but I can't imagine its so bad a remake it completely ruins the base game. There just wasn't anything good about Shining Tears.

Obsidian
04-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Ressurection of the Dark Dragon was a very mixed bag for me. The graphic overhaul detracted from the game's charm, though the updated music was good. There were a ton of new storyline elements... The backstories of each team member were a nice touch, though the added backstory that connects the hero to the villain feels like they were intentionally ripping a page out of FFIV. Then there was the new "card" feature. Oh Yu-Gi-oh... Is there a corner of the creative industry you have yet to reach? :rolleyes2

Shining Tears was just blah. A blah old-style Zelda ripoff with a blah story featuring very blah and generic anime artwork. I also can't stress enough how much I dislike the new Force titles for the same exact reason.

thegirth
04-14-2008, 01:32 AM
this is the second greatest game series ever next to, of course, final fantasy. SF2 takes sole responsibility for turning me into a gamer, and remains to this day in a tie for my second favorite game EVAR

Skyblade
04-14-2008, 04:37 AM

I haven't played the remake, but I can't imagine its so bad a remake it completely ruins the base game. There just wasn't anything good about Shining Tears.

You can't imagine it, but it is so. I'll prove it:

Magic comes from a sattelite.

That is how bad RotDD is. That is one of the added plot points to the game. That is how much they butchered LotGI.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-14-2008, 05:13 AM
The original Shining Force I've been playing on VC (I'm pretty sure it's the original, one of the earlier ones at any rate).

Shining Force is the Tactical Strategy game I wanted Fire Emblem to be. Shining Force doesn't have two of the fun-killers for me, permadeath and weapon degradation. I'm all for games being difficult, but those two particular conventions are the wrong way to go about doing it. In my experience they just make it annoying when any one small misstep can send you back to the beginning of the mission unless you cheese the in-battle save function and BS the probability (I have to do this on some of the more annoying missions in Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2 as well, which makes me love it less).

Skyblade
04-14-2008, 05:16 AM
Personally, I also like that Shining Force lets you explore areas outside of battle. You can walk around the world, rob people's treasure chests, talk to villagers...

Alex151
04-16-2008, 04:14 AM
this is the second greatest game series ever next to, of course, final fantasy. SF2 takes sole responsibility for turning me into a gamer, and remains to this day in a tie for my second favorite game EVAR

you pretty much nailed that on the button for me, Shining Force 2 is probably my Favorite game of all time behind Final Fantasy 7. I've never played sf3. I downloaded it for my emulator and it was all jacked up, it looks good though, especially since you get to be oddler(one of the best characters created) and Max again.

It's safe to say Shining Force will remain in my heart forever

Ryth
04-23-2008, 07:51 PM

You can't imagine it, but it is so. I'll prove it:

Magic comes from a sattelite.

That is how bad RotDD is. That is one of the added plot points to the game. That is how much they butchered LotGI.

Oh, Sweet Jesus. I admittedly laughed, but it couldn't hide the sound of my childhood being murdered in cold blood. ):