PDA

View Full Version : So I'm taking the ACT tomorrow morning.

Jessweeee♪
04-12-2008, 04:28 AM
THOSE SADISTIC PEOPLE SET IT FOR 8AM ;_;

I am going to fall asleep and fail.

rubah
04-12-2008, 05:55 AM
This is why you go to bed early, dear. And eat a good breakfast! You'll be bent over in hurt by the time you get done with it (at least you will if they give you a tiny cramped desk like I got >:[)

good luck! are you taking the april or june one?

Jessweeee♪
04-12-2008, 09:08 PM
UUUUUGH It was way worse than I thought it would be D:

I rushed through and I still had like fifteen questions unanswered in every section (I just guessed bbbbbbbb once there was just thirty seconds left) and then four sentences on the essay section.

...by the time I got to the final section, I couldn't understand english anymore. The time limits totally killed me x.x

Guess I'll probably have to take it again.

Shiny
04-12-2008, 09:26 PM
If the same rules apply to the SAT as they do to the ACT it would have been best to leave them blank if you didn't know them instead of guessing. As not answering would mean you wouldn't get any points, yet also won't get points off. The only time you should guess is when you've narrowed the choices down to at least three or two. That is for the SAT though, I'm not sure if the ACT is similar in that aspect.

rubah
04-12-2008, 09:27 PM
There is no guessing penalty on the ACT.

Good girl, jesse, now just wait another year before you take it again so you don't waste a bunch of money taking it five times like a lot of people at my school did xD I didn't take it until I was almost 17! you're an early bloomer I guess :p

Jessweeee♪
04-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I am almost seventeen xD

I saw the counselor in like, February, and she was like, TAKE A TEST, NAU! So I signed up for the April test ._.

rubah
04-12-2008, 10:45 PM
oic. Well GOOD JERB THEN!

Wait, what happened to you being 15?! !??!?!! :confused:

No one at my school takes the april acts because they're always on the morning of prom. And judging from the comments on facebook today. . .

Jessweeee♪
04-12-2008, 11:01 PM
I haven't been fifteen since last June xD

Why in the world would they schedule prom and ACT on the same day?!

Kes
04-12-2008, 11:34 PM
If you haven't taken the SAT I suggest you do. I know time killed me on the ACT, especially the science section. I mean, in theory science is the easiest one, but I am a slow reader and I kept getting distracted by all the information that wasn't important because I thought it was interesting.

I know I didn't do well on the essay on either (I'm a slow writer too, I always had about a paragraph and a half left to write and the topics were just banal) but there's no science and all math/reading/writing questions are broken up into several small sections. I did the ACT equivalent of three points higher on my SAT.

Anyway, good luck on the future ones, and retroactive good luck on the one you just did.

Jessweeee♪
04-13-2008, 07:40 AM
I think the ACT would probably be best, but I can't really know that until I've tried the SAT, too :p

Maybe I'll take that if I do this badly three more times xD

Ouch!
04-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Whether or not you take the ACT or SAT really depends on where you intend to go to school, I suppose. For example, I only really focused on the SAT because all the schools in which I was interested preferred the SAT. I took the ACT without the writing section in school because it's an Illinois state requirement for graduating high school.

Anyway, I hope you did well on the exam and any future ones you may or may not choose to take.

rubah
04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Southern schools usually will accept either, but northern ones don't seem to think the ACT is worth anything. Just check the admissions guidelines. I only took the SAT because I had to to apply for National Merit scholarships.

Jessweeee♪
04-15-2008, 02:32 AM
All of the schools I want accept the ACT, most of them want the writing section, too though. Like my #1 choice.

I HATE writing. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

...and I am not capable of persuading people to do anything! Stupid essay.

*stab*

Namelessfengir
04-15-2008, 03:34 AM
you might want to train your eyes to read faster also
half my incompletes came from not reading quick enough

Jessweeee♪
04-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Oh, what do you know...my #1 choice doesn't require the written part! Neat.

Woodinator
04-16-2008, 04:53 AM
ick...i definitely preferred the ACT over the SAT.

SAT takes like 5 hours to take and they like to throw in multiple sections of each topic, which I guess is less stressful, but come on, they didn't need that 10 min english portion ><

w/e

Well, I hope you did well and if not, eh you've got plenty of other opportunities to take it again :)