PDA

View Full Version : I just beat Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions!!

Dragonsoul
04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
This game was great!! I beat this new PSP version tonight. I already had beat the PS 1 version in 1998 and it was #6 in my list of my favorite games ever, I had six games on that list. This new version is even better with all the adjustments and new features! I did some of the sidequests but not all of them. I leveled up my characters, unlocked jobs, learned abilities, and mastered some of the jobs. I beat all the main sidequests except for the one where you have to wait for the first day of the month of Cancer and need $500,000. I beat Midlight's Deep Dungeon. I beat the game and it took 83 hours for all of that. I skipped these sidequests: Melee, Rendezvous, Poaching, and Errands.

The game is phenomenal!!! I like the game a little bit more than Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings!! I liked FF XII: RW more than FF XII and FF XII more than Eternal Sonata. Those are the three rpg's I beat last year and this year I've only beaten this rpg FF Tactics. I'll beat these other rpg's this year: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, and some more probably. I'm also beat the real-time strategy pc game Warcraft 3 and am now playing it's expansion pack by the way, and I'll beat the real-time strategy pc game Starcraft 2 if it comes out this year. I'm thinking about beating FF VII: Crisis Core and the new remakes for FF I-IV this year also, and possibly FF VII: Before Crisis if it comes out this year.

The game is about as close to perfect as games get!! Here are my rankings for my favorite games ever, updated...

1. Final Fantasy VI
...a gap...
2. Chrono Trigger
...a gap...
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy X
5. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I'm thinking about possibly adding Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings just behind FF Tactics, not sure yet though, but it's likely. FF Tactics is the 3rd of the 5 games developed by the Yasumi Matsuno team. The games were: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy XII.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions review!!
Story: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Graphics: 10/10
Sound: 10/10
Controls: 10/10
Battle System: 10/10
Polish: 10/10
Length/Sidequests: 10/10
Overall: 10/10!!!

This game Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions dominates my lifestyle! I hope everybody else enjoyed it as much as I did! The story and soundtrack for this game is legendary!! Who else beat this game(the PSP version) and what did you think of it? :)!!!

Vivisteiner
04-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey, I finished FFT for the first time a few days ago. PSP version.

Story: 9.2/10

The plot starts off quite slowly but is still relatively interesting. But in the second chapter it really starts to get going. The countless conflicting motives and the process of just working out what each person wants is an enthralling one that continues throught chapter 3 and the beginning of chapter 4. I felt the ending was a little weak, however, and the very last bit felt rushed despite the idea being poignant. I felt that the issues revolving less around the stones directly were the most interesting and well developed. Overall a very good story.

Graphics: 8.5/10

While it would be silly to compare it to GoW graphically, the animations are still generally nice. The slowdown was a little annoying though. The anime cutscenes on the other hand were beautiful. I wish there were more of them.

Sound: 8.5/10

The musical score is solid but unspectacular in my opinion. Perhaps the greatest weakness of the soundtrack is its lack of variety. Nevertheless there are some decent tunes in it that I could hum along to. The voice acting throughout was pretty much superb. Unfortunately the in game sound effects were lame - some poignant moments were slightly ruined by me laughing at the inane sounds.

Gameplay: 9/10

The gameplay is really fun and addictive once you get past the first few hours of grinding. It starts off very difficult but soon becomes considerably easier as you are able to develop your characters in so many ways. The numerous powerful characters who join the party are also very helpful although they can reduce the challenge too much. The huge selection of jobs and the very well-balanced tactics makes the gameplay fun and enjoyable. The pleasure one gets from a well executed plan is immense.

Replay Value: 9.5/10

The story is great, the battle system retains its enjoyment and there is a lot of substance to this game. While I dont feel the need to replay it, if I did I am sure I would find it very enjoyable again, watching the masterful plot unfold as I battle against the odds (and win).

Overall: 9.2/10

A great game that truly justifies my decision to purchase a PSP.

Vivisteiner's top nine games
1. Final Fantasy IX - 10/10
2. Final Fantasy XII - 9.5/10
3. Final Fantasy X - 9.5/10
4. Final Fantasy Tactics - 9.2/10
5. Final Fantasy VII - 9.2/10
6. God of War - 9.2/10
7. Shadow of the Colossus - 9.1/10
8. Dragon quest VIII - 9.1/10
9. Final Fantasy VIII - 8.8/10

Me likey Final Fantasy. Judging from that I should definitely play the rest at some time.

Dragonsoul
04-13-2008, 02:32 AM
That's a great review! What are you going to do next?

hhr1dluv
04-13-2008, 05:41 AM
Just a question I've had...
I own this game, though I haven't really had time to play it yet. I told myself I had to beat FFXII first, and that's taking a while. :P
Just wondering...does FFT do a good job of teaching you how to play in game? Or, do I really have to memorize the tutorials? (I HATE doing that).

Basically, I'm a n00b and this game seems kinda hard. But, it's possible I just haven't really gotten into it yet.

BG-57
04-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Well done, Dragonsoul!

I have yet to play WoL so I can't comment on it. It looks nifty, although my completionist impulses may be thwarted by having to spend extra Gil to get multi-battles set up.

hhr1dluv, the first battle in Orbonne Monastary gives you a good basic introduction to battle mechanics. But you can miss a lot of the details. Most notably the battle order list, which lists the order characters (both friend and foe) are going to act.

Vivisteiner
04-13-2008, 03:33 PM
That's a great review! What are you going to do next?
Thanx. :)

Im going to complete all the sidequests and get me a Dark Knight next!

Just a question I've had...
I own this game, though I haven't really had time to play it yet. I told myself I had to beat FFXII first, and that's taking a while. :P
Just wondering...does FFT do a good job of teaching you how to play in game? Or, do I really have to memorize the tutorials? (I HATE doing that).

Basically, I'm a n00b and this game seems kinda hard. But, it's possible I just haven't really gotten into it yet
Tbh, this game is a pain in the ass for the first few hours IMO.

But you dont really need the tutorials if you dont want to read them. Eventually you'll get the hang of it if you stick with it. Soon it'll start getting easier. It throws you in at the deep end but its not as deep as it seems at first. You may feel like a fish out of water but once you learn how to swim it'll be plain sailing all the way. Like a day by the sea side.

...I should really stop with the water analogies before I get hung out to dry by a team of raving fish mongers. Ahh well, at least I imparted my knowledge. Hopefully you'll read it. Then again, you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drii...

Uh oh. Im annoying you. I bet Im in hot water now.

Dont kill me. Or drown me for that matter. Remember, Im your brother. And blood is thicker than wa...

oh :skull::skull::skull::skull:

KentaRawr!
05-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm going to splash you with some water.

Dragonsoul
05-21-2008, 11:20 AM
What a great game this was! I've followed it up with Alundra 1(1998 PS 1 action rpg), which I'm currently playing. I'll be done in a few hours/days and it'll take nearly 40 hours to beat with most sidequest stuff done. Alundra 1 is amazing!! Although Final Fantasy Tactics I prefer more though.