PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Wood - And other novles by Haruki Murakami

Rye
04-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I feel like talking about Haruki Murakami because he's my favorite author, along with Nabakov and Augusten Burroughs. That sounds odd because all 3 authors are so completely different from each other and eclectic in very different way.

My favorite book by Haruki Murakami is Norwegian Wood. I've been trying to think of a way to describe it, but it's so difficult. So I'll paste the blurb on the back of my copy:

Toru, a quiet and preternaturally serious young college student in Tokyo, is devoted to Naoko, a beautiful and introspective young woman, but their mutual passion is marked by the tragic death of their best friend years before. Toru begins to adapt to campus life and the loneliness and isolation he faces there, but Naoko finds the pressures and responsibilities of life unbearable. As she retreats further into her own world, Toru finds himself reaching out to others and drawn to a fiercely independent and sexually liberated young woman.

A poignant story of one college student's romantic coming-of-age, Norwegian Wood takes us to that distant place of a young man's first, hopeless, and heroic love.

It's my favorite book of all time, tied with Lolita by Nabokov. It's definitely my favorite out of Murakami's books, even though it's the most "mainstream" out of the bunch. Anyone read it? :jess:

Mirage
04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Why is it called Norwegian Wood?

Rye
04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
It's named after the Beatles song of that name, because one of the character played it a lot on the guitar and it kept bringing back memories for the main character.

Aurey
04-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Hah, this was actually the first book I read by Murakami. It is really good, but I definitely think I should re-read it because I took a long break in the middle. I hate doing that, but one part of the book caught me really off-guard, it was too intense for me at that time I think.

I haven't read a lot of his works yet (so recommendations plz), but out of the ones I have read I think the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is my favourite. There's a lot to it, but a lot of parts totally blew me away.

Heath
04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Norwegian Wood was also the first book I read by Murakami. Others I've read are The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Kafka on the Shore and Sputnik Sweetheart. I'd probably say Norwegian Wood is my second favourite after the brilliant WUBC. As I was saying to you about it the other day, Rye, I love how wonderfully Murakami interlinks the downright bizarre and the somewhat monotonous pace of day to day life. Although all his male protagonists seem to be the same person (bar their individual circumstances), I do like them; leads me to wonder whether or not Murakami imagines himself in each of these situations and how he would go along with it.

Although not as well-known some other authors that have emerged in the past couple of years, I'd definitely say his books are worth reading. They're beautifully crafted and very emotive. I do need to read some more though! I would also recommend that everyone read at least Norwegian Wood. It's probably the most accessible of the four books I've read and definitely a great introduction to Murakami. I think I might re-read it myself actually when I'm done with The English Patient.

Rye
04-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Norwegian Wood was my first too. Then I read Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Kafka on the Shore, and Sputnik Sweetheart. I have Dance, Dance, Dance and the Hard Boiled Egg but I haven't really gotten around to reading them yet.

And I do know what you mean, Heath, the protagonists really don't have a specific personality, but it does work. It makes it more believable, just a normal guy experiencing all of these weird situations.

fire_of_avalon
04-14-2008, 01:43 AM
I thought it was pretentious and predictable, but good enough to give one of his other books a try someday.