PDA

View Full Version : If Aerith hadn't died...

jammi567
04-14-2008, 12:45 AM
This isn't a thread for asking how the story would have changed (that's obvious), but what the fan reactions towards her, and the game in general, would have been. Do you think that they would they have liked the idea, or loathed it? On a similar note, do you think that compinlation and the game would be as popular as they are now?

leader of mortals
04-14-2008, 12:58 AM
I bet if Aerith didn't die, less people would like her.

Elly
04-14-2008, 01:31 AM
nah they'd still like her on the merrit of her uber-broken Lvl.4 Limit Break... it's the definition of Breaking the Limit...

Bloodline666
04-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Well, if Aerith hadn't died, then not only would the fan reactions towards her or the game be different, but so would fan reactions towards Sephiroth. In my opinion, not only did the fact that Aerith died solidify her as a character and this game as a whole, but the manner in which she died also solidified Sephiroth's status as one of the greatest villains in video game history.

Gilthanes
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Its a risky step, doing what they did with Aerith. Usually if done right it really can rope the player into the game, causing REAL emotions and not just "this is a neat game"

When the player has real emotions to the game, actually feeling sorrow, or happiness, for something that happened, you know that its a good game.

I'd be willing to bet, that had Aerith not died, or had they implimented wrong, and people didnt fall into the game like they did... FFVIII probably wouldnt have been a deep love story. The gamers reactions to the death of Aerith showed Square that they can put more into a game than just uber 9000 dmg attacks, and flashy spell graphics.

Randgris
04-14-2008, 06:11 PM
If Aerith hadn't died...

1. Midgard would have been totally destroyed by Meteor
2. Cloud would not fight Sephy
3. Cloud and the kids would have suffered death from GeoStigma (FF:AC)

Roogle
04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I think that the writers would have prepared an equivalent plot point to further the story. What would that plot point be?

Would it have been an equally emotionally investing experience if Tifa had been killed by Sephiroth? ... or if one of the male characters had been killed by Sephiroth? ... or maybe something outside of death. It is only speculation.

Gilthanes
04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
It would have needed some similar preparation to Aeriths death. Such as how Cait Sith came into the Temple of Ancients and proposed that they were perfect for each other, and the dream sequence of her going to take care of Seph, and Cloud chasing after to save her.

Replace "Aerith" with Any of the characters, tweak it so that it isnt gay (make it more of a noble sacrifice than a lost love), and it might have had similar effects if say, Barret sacrificed himself.

Hell, I'm sad whenever I play through and Biggs/Wedge/Jessie die. At this point I feel more sad for them than Aerith

cloud21zidane16
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Who knows? The game and fans perspective of the game would probably be completely different.