PDA

View Full Version : What should I play?

tidus_rox
04-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I really want to start a playthrough on one of the following games but I cant decide which! Your vote is greatly appreciated :)

leader of mortals
04-14-2008, 09:09 PM
If you like RPGs where you have to powerlevel, DQ8 is by far(by far!) the best.

LunarWeaver
04-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Don't lean towards Star Ocean :bigsmile:

Bunny
04-14-2008, 09:26 PM
What are your favorite RPGs?

Dreddz
04-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Out of the three.........FFVIII.

Cloud88
04-14-2008, 09:48 PM
If you're leaning towards Star Ocean, go with that. I much prefered that over DQ8. And FF8... well, you may have done more playthroughs on that than you can remember. I know I have.....

tidus_rox
04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
If you're leaning towards Star Ocean, go with that. I much prefered that over DQ8. And FF8... well, you may have done more playthroughs on that than you can remember. I know I have.....

actually it would be my first playthrough :p and why not Star ocean ?? I like them :p

Lawr
04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Star Ocean, what an interesting little game it was. Honestly I can say those three are probably some of my most all time most hated games.

Play Star Ocean first if you're leaning toward it.

Bolivar
04-14-2008, 10:32 PM
If you haven't played/beaten it yet, FFVIII, which I voted for. But if you have, then DQ8 all the way.

Vermachtnis
04-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Star Ocean 3 is the most fun. Dragon Quest VIII takes to long and Final Fantasy VIII is too serious.

Namelessfengir
04-15-2008, 01:41 AM
id say star ocean or ff8

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-15-2008, 02:12 AM
If you play FFVIII I can give you advice, if not then I'll bugger off

Gilghamut
04-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I'd go with DQ8 first, it has the nostalgia factor of old school RPGs, never played Star Ocean, FFVIII I would tie to a tree and shoot it with a shotgun but that's just me.

XxSephirothxX
04-15-2008, 02:57 AM
Star Ocean 3 is kinda :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty, I am not at all a fan of FFVIII and don't like level grind fests like Dragon Quest in general. Just read some reviews of the games and see which one appeals most to the types of games you like.

Momiji
04-15-2008, 02:58 AM
I've never played DQ8. Star Ocean, in my opinion, doesn't deserve half of the hate it gets (I personally think all of that hate should be directed towards FFVII). Overall, I'd say play FFVIII, because Star Ocean is just so damn long.

Lawr
04-15-2008, 03:05 AM
I've never played DQ8. Star Ocean, in my opinion, doesn't deserve half of the hate it gets (I personally think all of that hate should be directed towards FFVII). Overall, I'd say play FFVIII, because Star Ocean is just so damn long.

If you think Star Ocean is long, In DQ8 I had about 40 hours of non-stop level-grinding, which becomes useless after every boss, until I just gave up and quit the game. I only kept it a while longer because of the FF12 demo

Momiji
04-15-2008, 03:09 AM

If you think Star Ocean is long, In DQ8 I had about 40 hours of non-stop level-grinding, which becomes useless after every boss, until I just gave up and quit the game. I only kept it a while longer because of the FF12 demo

I had around 90 hours of constant play on Star Ocean 3, and I still didn't find everything before I got sick of the game. As the game itself goes, it's pretty good.

Lawr
04-15-2008, 03:12 AM

I had around 90 hours of constant play on Star Ocean 3, and I still didn't find everything before I got sick of the game. As the game itself goes, it's pretty good.

Yeah I had quite a long time on Star Ocean too :exdee:

At least it had extra stuff for you to do if you finished and it didn't bore me most of the time

Spuuky
04-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Star Ocean: Good first half, bad second half
Final Fantasy VIII: Good game, bad end section, tedious extractions
Dragon Quest VIII: Good all the way through, but very long

KentaRawr!
04-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Chrono Trigger.

Out of those 3, I had the most fun with Star Ocean, and I think it's an experience you won't want to miss out on. Plus, you're leaning towards it anyway, so you'll feel like you made the right choice.

tidus_rox
04-16-2008, 01:15 AM
You guys rock! So I started Star Ocean. How many hours is in the main game alone?? Anyways after Star Ocean I am going to FF8 then DQ8. Any tips on Star Ocean? Again thanks for the advice!!!

Lawr
04-16-2008, 01:51 AM
I marked them with spoiler tags. :P

You can have added endings depending on your relationship with characters. Like with Sophia early on in the game. (You'll know what I'm talking about)

When you go to a map that you can uncover new area on your minimap, try to uncover every single part of the area because it gives you a glass rabbit that you can use to run faster outside of battle, or sell for a helpful amount of money

Once you get the ability to synthesize, it will be more convenient to create your own food, instead of buying the standard healing items at stores. The food will be vital once you get into the later parts of the game

When in a battle and you use a skill like Blade of Fury for example, it will drain some of your Hp, so using skills constantly in random encounters early on in the game will cost you. Try to be conservative and you can edit your allies' AI to be conservative too

There are special items that teach characters how to use magic. It will be very helpful for you to give a main attacker like Cliff or Fayt a healing spell because spells use up Mp, which they don't use much because their abilities drain Hp, not Mp.

Spuuky
04-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Learn how to use the Cancel Bonus. Seriously.

Remedy
04-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Dragon Quest 8
and good luck

Cloud88
04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Learn how to use the Cancel Bonus. Seriously.

Definitely. If you can master it early on, this game gets a lot easier. Combining your moves for Fayt will absolutely rip your enemies a new one. A good combo I found worked really well was Blade of Fury and Shotgun Blast. I don't know who your other characters are, but you shouldn't have to use them. I found that they worked a lot better when the computer used them. I only switched if Fayt was knocked out and he needed to be revived.

You should give Fayt the 'Basic Healing Symbols' ability as well. This will make him fairly self-sustainable.

And last thing, Battle Chain. Keep it up, and you'll get the Triple EXP bonus after battles. If you beat a boss with this bonus, you'll get MAJOR EXP. Where are you in it now?