PDA

View Full Version : Windmills Don't Work That Way!

Vermachtnis
04-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Have you ever seen something that looks like it should work a certain way and then you find out that's not how it does?

There was this cabinet or something and I couldn't open it. It looked like it should open out and I pulled it and some people came to help me pull it open. Finally the owner came over and popped the top off of it. It looked like a cabinet, but it was chest. What's up with that?

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Those pens where your supposed to turn the nib

Araciel
04-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Women.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Women.

Do tell

Randgris
04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Nah. It only takes me a minute or two to figure out how things work. I'm kinda, different.

Rantz
04-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Women.

Someone give the man a price. :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2008, 07:41 PM
£4.20!

Rantz
04-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Outrageous! :mad2:

Sergeant Hartman
04-15-2008, 08:48 PM
£4.20!
£4.20 sucki sucki?

scrumpleberry
04-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Stylish pens are deceptive. You think it twists...BUT NOOO. IT'S ACTUALLY A REGULAR LID. WTF.

Parker
04-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I used to think spiderman shot webbing out of a webgun on his wrist (like the toy ones you could buy) then I actually saw the movie and they seem to come out of some kind of silk gland??

Aerith's Knight
04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Women.

I want to disagree.. but i just cant.

Kes
04-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I used to think spiderman shot webbing out of a webgun on his wrist (like the toy ones you could buy) then I actually saw the movie and they seem to come out of some kind of silk gland??

Yeah, that's a movie thing. In the original comics Peter Parker invents them himself. In Marvel's ULTIMATE universe, he still invents them, except the web material is based on some of his father's research. </geek>

Araciel
04-15-2008, 11:58 PM

Yeah, that's a movie thing. In the original comics Peter Parker invents them himself. In Marvel's ULTIMATE universe, he still invents them, except the web material is based on some of his father's research.

It goes along with the belief of the film makers that he isn't smart enough to make such a thing, although his mutation is supposedly easier to believe.

Just like the Phoenix is a multiple personality, instead of what she was in the original stories...

go figure.

Vermachtnis
04-16-2008, 12:00 AM

Yeah, that's a movie thing. In the original comics Peter Parker invents them himself. In Marvel's ULTIMATE universe, he still invents them, except the web material is based on some of his father's research.

It goes along with the belief of the film makers that he isn't smart enough to make such a thing, although his mutation is supposedly easier to believe.

Just like the Phoenix is a multiple personality, instead of what she was in the original stories...

go figure.

Actually I think it was more a time restraint more than anything. I mean in the original comics it built suspence him changing his cartridages in the middle of a fight. Plus, they covered a lot in the first movie. Got nothing on the Phoenix thing though, I agree they kinda butchered her.

Araciel
04-16-2008, 12:06 AM
I think it's all about focus of the plot in the film...the Phoenix Saga could be it's own franchise if it weren't for the X-Men being involved...It just irked me a bit.

Also, there's a knife device that is made to cut through annoying 'blisterpacks' but it comes in one..That always makes me laugh and die a little on the inside.

Peegee
04-16-2008, 12:11 AM
If you think about it, Peter Parker creates an adhesive threading that melts in a few hours.

And he was, at the time, in high school? That's too impossible.

Araciel
04-16-2008, 12:13 AM
So is a radioactive spider passing on spider powers. Go make a thread about it n00b.

Peegee
04-16-2008, 12:16 AM
So is a radioactive spider passing on spider powers. Go make a thread about it n00b.

No that's possible.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7093/breakfwz2.gif

see

wait..

Kes
04-16-2008, 12:41 AM
If you think about it, Peter Parker creates an adhesive threading that melts in a few hours.

And he was, at the time, in high school? That's too impossible.

"So, they laughed at me for <b>being</b> a bookworm, eh? Well, only a science major could have created a device like this! With some strong liquid cement at the end, I can pull myself up from <b>anywhere</b> with my little web!" -Peter Parker

Well, it was the '60s. They tried. Hence the extra help in the Ultimate Spider-man. They even mention how hard it is to come up with a small liquid-to-solid that will hold significant weight and not last forever.

Big D
04-16-2008, 07:18 AM
In the '60s, radioactive [anything] could lead to anything else. Nowadays, it's genetically engineered [anything] that gets the same result. If Parker's going to gain spider-like powers for the sake of the plot, then the web-generation thing is a reasonable side-effect. It makes no scientific sense, of course, but that's so far beside the point as to be not worth considering.

Though I read an article on a 'movie science' site which calculated exactly how much thread Mr Parker might realistically produce. Based on the diameter of the thread, I think they worked out he could produce perhaps 200m of thread before he'd have exhausted the equivalent of his entire body volume.

Moral of the story: if you want rigid adherence to scientific reality, don't watch Spider-Man, X-Men, or any other comic-based film. They're meant to be fun, not educational - though with that kind of story, internal consistency is a plus.

:edit: Oh, and much glee at the Futurama reference in the thread title <3

blackmage_nuke
04-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I lol at how everyone in this thread has started talking about spider man.

Kes
04-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Moral of the story: if you want rigid adherence to scientific reality, don't watch Spider-Man, X-Men, or any other comic-based film. They're meant to be fun, not educational - though with that kind of story, internal consistency is a plus.

Internal consistency in comics? Really?

And, blackmage_nuke, Spider-man is one of those things where you think it would work one way and then it turns out to be something completely different. For example, you think Spider-man is married to MJ because, I don't know, it's been that way for years, and then suddenly, One More Day comes along and you're wrong.

But in a serious effort to be on topic: I really hate it when I think a) a door is supposed to be automatic and it isn't and then I stand there looking like an idiot, and b) when doors open the opposite way of how they look (they're push instead of pull or pull instead of push). >.>

Big D
04-16-2008, 11:16 AM
But in a serious effort to be on topic: I really hate it when I think a) a door is supposed to be automatic and it isn't and then I stand there looking like an idiot, and b) when doors open the opposite way of how they look (they're push instead of pull or pull instead of push). >.>Doors like that are a pain. At my old campus, the library doors were on pretty tough springs, so you had to push them rather hard. There was a big row of these doors out the front, and the problem was, on any given day half of them would be locked. So one walks up to a door and gives it a firm shove, only to have it fail to budge... damn near wrist-breaking:mad: