PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII-2: Inevitable?

Big D
04-15-2008, 04:55 AM
I've been pondering, and it seems to me that a follow-up to Final Fantasy VII - a true sequel, continuing and concluding the overall story - is more or less a certainty. It might be a few years away, but it's likely to happen eventually.

But, I wanna know what y'all might think about this. Personally, I think that the story's just too open-ended and unfinished at this point. Dirge of Cerberus introduced Genesis, and he's developed in Crisis Core. The secret ending to DoC just leaves too much unsaid and unfinished for that to be the conclusion of the story. Furthermore, DoC was mainly 'Vincent's story', relegating the other characters to supporting - or token - roles. Seems an unlikely way to end the series, I'd think.

So, who's with me in thinking that Square-Enix are virtually certain to produce a true sequel to FFVII - another epic RPG where heroes old and new square off against Genesis Rhapsodos and his allies? This isn't about whether you want there to be a sequel or not; nor is it about whether you think it'd be a good or successful game. What I'm really focusing on here is whether you, like me, believe they won't end the story on a shaky, narrowly-focussed entry like Dirge of Cerberus.

Aerith's Knight
04-15-2008, 07:15 AM
At least a remake, but they would rather make a story follow-up.

FFVII is square-enix's greatest treasure and they are milking it for all its worth, with good reason. Fans are begging for either a remake or a new game, and the game has already been delivered.. twice.

that together with a movie leaves only a game in the future or a remake.

leader of mortals
04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I also think it is inevitable. I don't think it will hapen in the next 5 years or so, but it probably will happen.

Big D
04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I also think it is inevitable. I don't think it will hapen in the next 5 years or soMaybe they'll hold off until 2017 - for the game's 20th anniversary:p

MustangCobraSVT
04-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I think if they did it, it would be sooner rather than later. I think this because alot of the hype and excitement around FFVII was revitalized because of the recent installments. So to truly capilize on this the game would have to be atleashed established it will be created in the next couple or so years. Once all the talk of CC/AC and the like dies down i believe that making a new FFVII will seem like its coming out of left field. Maybe in the next 7 ;) years or so.

Big D
04-15-2008, 10:10 PM
I see what you mean about them keeping the series' momentum going... but still, perhaps they'll announce it in the next couple of years, and then spend a good two or three years working on it - much like AC or FFXII. I'd prefer to wait a couple of years and get a damn good game rather than a one-year rushed job.

Super Sepiroth
04-15-2008, 10:29 PM
its just so annoying having to wait- wish i had access to a time machine haha lol. Remake over sequel but i'd take a sequel over nothing. why do games take so long to make?? :( lol

Bolivar
04-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, the development team that works on both FFXIII and FFVII compilation is constantly working on new titles, it makes you wonder what'll be next after Versus and XIII are out. I think it might be likely that the next game will be either a remake of FFVII or a sequel. In any case I think it'll be something big.

Roogle
04-15-2008, 10:54 PM
I think that a full production remake or sequel to Final Fantasy VII is a good way to capitalize on the success of the original game.

It is likely that Square Enix is researching the high and low points to the developments of a full game. I think that, at this point, a remake or sequel to Final Fantasy VII is inevitable with the source material revealed about the series this far.

cloud21zidane16
04-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I never really thought about another sequel, it would be interesting. I think there will be one:)

The Crystal
04-15-2008, 11:54 PM
1UP's James Mielke had a chance to chat with Crisis Core's director, Hajime Tabata. In the interview, he notes that the world of Final Fantasy VII will continue to expand even further. Crisis Core is but the most recent addition of a long series of works expanding the FFVII universe, such as Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus and Before Crisis. Tabata notes that "the Compilation's finale will take some other form." Could the long-rumored FFVII PS3 remake become reality?

For the complete interview, check out 1UP (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167006&p=7). Stay tuned for our review of Crisis Core next week.

thegirth
04-16-2008, 03:32 AM
''some other form'' sounds as though it won'e be a movie or video game, maybe a book i would like that, so finally i could take final fantasy with me to school *i beat crisis core in between school days*

Bahamut2000X
04-16-2008, 03:36 AM
SE likes money. They do anything to get especially crashing franchises into the ground to get every last penny. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel, and a remake is basically a given, it's just a matter of when.

Goldenboko
04-16-2008, 03:46 AM
Its going to happen, and its going to utterly rape whatever was left of this story.

The story of FFVII was solid, it didn't leave too many questions, it was decently satisfying, and it wasn't something I'd complain about. The FFVII compilation does the opposite, it never fulfills the "alright, this is over" feeling you need. It raises questions that aren't answered (you can shove the Ultimania guides up your ass, if you can't explain yourself in your game/movie, you've failed), and it has destroyed what was a fundamentally solid storyline.

Big D
04-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Its going to happen, and its going to utterly rape whatever was left of this story.

The story of FFVII was solid, it didn't leave too many questions, it was decently satisfying, and it wasn't something I'd complain about. The FFVII compilation does the opposite, it never fulfills the "alright, this is over" feeling you need. It raises questions that aren't answered (you can shove the Ultimania guides up your ass, if you can't explain yourself in your game/movie, you've failed), and it has destroyed what was a fundamentally solid storyline.When the compilation's eventually concluded, I'm sure they'll wrap it up properly. There's only one truly 'loose end' at the moment, and that's Genesis - nothing else added by the compilations is actually wholly inconsistent with the original story. Shinra's human experimentation and augmented warriors are evident in the original story. There's SOLDIER, with Jenova cell treatments; the Mako-infused beings in the Mt Nibel reactor, and Vincent Valentine himself, who are living testimony to the Mako and biochemical procedures seen in Dirge of Cerberus' Deepground. The existence of Genesis as a 'prototype' is fairly logical - huge advances like Sephiroth don't just happen out of the blue.
The world's wars and civil strife, and Shinra's role in them, are also touched upon throughout the game that started it all.

While the compilation expands on the original work, often in surprising or apparently unprecedented ways, there's nothing that's totally unexpected or inexplicable in there, as far as I know. Although, I haven't actually played Crisis Core yet...

Carl the Llama
04-16-2008, 02:00 PM
There has been a sequal to FFVII its called FFVII:AC

Tallulah
04-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Oh, Christ, didn't they already milk this mothersmurfer to death already? :mad2:

Breine
04-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't really think they'll make a true sequel, since it's too much of a risk. A remake of the game seems more likely.

Aerith's Knight
04-16-2008, 06:24 PM
I actually think it will take some time.. There are making remakes of 1 thru 6 right now for the nintendo ds.. it is possible that they'll release FVII remake for the ps3 on the same day they'll release the remake of FFVI for the ds.

so im guessing itll take at least 5 years as the ps3 isnt an easy thing to program on.

EagleDelta1
04-16-2008, 07:05 PM
The Facts - There WILL be at least one more entry in the compilation, the Director to CC said as much in an interview on 1up.com.

My opinion - I also doubt that Genesis will be the villian since, in a translation of the FFVII Ultimanium, Nomura said that Genesis' dialog at the end of DoC refers to him protecting the planet, rather than causing destruction.

That would leave just one question - who'd be the villian?

Roogle
04-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I reiterate my point that the next entry in the series will be a full console role-playing game rather than a portable game. If the title was a new sequel, I am not sure who the villain of the game would be. Is Jenova destroyed?

Big D
04-17-2008, 12:53 AM
My opinion - I also doubt that Genesis will be the villian since, in a translation of the FFVII Ultimanium, Nomura said that Genesis' dialog at the end of DoC refers to him protecting the planet, rather than causing destruction.They'd still need to deal with Genesis' existence somehow, though - he's clearly powerful and important, so he'd need to have a role. Besides, not everyone's idea of 'protecting the planet' is the same...[q=Roogle]I am not sure who the villain of the game would be. Is Jenova destroyed?[/quote]Aside from the handful of cells lingering in SOLDIER members, and the tainted spirit energy carried by Geostigma victims, Jenova seems to be more or less done away with. It'd be one heck of a stretch for them to make her back into an effective villain again, and frankly it'd be more than a little boring. My money would still be on Genesis. He's on a mission, he's got a beef with Shinra, he's got the power to mix things up.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Without spoiling too much, Genesis definitely seems to be in a position to play a more benevolent role after the events of Dirge. That does leave open the position of villain, but they could always introduce an entirely new one (like Genesis himself) or, yeah, just find some convoluted excuse to bring back Sephiroth for one last (last, last) showdown.

Momiji
04-20-2008, 04:16 AM
I certainly hope there won't be a sequel to FFVII. However, I really wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the game, despite how much I dislike it. If it was made for something other than PS3 or PSP, I may even buy it.

As a matter of fact, I would totally approve of a remake, but all of these knockoffs nauseate me. Same goes for all of the future Kingdom Hearts knockoffs.

Mercen-X
04-20-2008, 07:44 PM
FF1-6 - Remake
FF7 AC - game, BC - handheld or other, DC - add-on
FF7 - Re-release, Remake, and Sequel
FF8 - Remake
FF10 - no ideas
FF10-2 - Remake
FF11 - handheld or other

Kingdom Hearts - only cool Disney's from here on (at least I'd hope)

I like Kingdom Hearts because it unites FF characters from different realities into one dimension. I'm looking forward the Fighter (whatever it's called) and hope it has a U.S. release.