PDA

View Full Version : Sig size limit

Del Murder
04-15-2008, 05:34 AM
For as far as I can remember the file size limit for sigs has been 50k. I don't check that. No one, except maybe Leeza, ever does. So my feedback is that you should abolish this rule.

edczxcvbnm
04-15-2008, 05:38 AM
No way Del! There are still people like Lekana on crappy dial up ;_;

Jojee
04-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Yeah, what are you thinking? That rule is there for a reason. Maybe you mods should start checking :rolleyes2

oddler
04-15-2008, 05:44 AM
For as far as I can remember the file size limit for sigs has been 50k. I don't check that. No one, except maybe Leeza, ever does. So my feedback is that you should abolish this rule.

Well, we've got to think about why the rule is in place. I always thought there was a limit on filesize to keep page load times down. If this is left unchecked, browsing the forums could become a chore from waiting on the pages to load.

Why don't you check it, Del? :choc2:

Del Murder
04-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Ok, non finalists can now only post in their own threads. We encourage you to make threads but the finalists should be the ones replying.

Check what?

oddler
04-15-2008, 06:04 AM

Well, we've got to think about why the rule is in place. I always thought there was a limit on filesize to keep page load times down. If this is left unchecked, browsing the forums could become a chore from waiting on the pages to load.

Why don't you check it, Del? :choc2:

Check what?

Why don't you check out my melody the filesize of signatures?

I don't think that the rule should be abolished because "no one" follows up on it.

Del Murder
04-15-2008, 06:25 AM
I don't check them because I think the rule is dumb. If not 50k make it 1mb. A mb is nothing these days.

People still use dial up?

Ouch!
04-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Lekana does when she's at her parents' house out in the middle of bumblesmurf, but that's Wyoming for you.

oddler
04-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Looking at some members' signatures, I don't see why they would need more than 50k. If they can look that good by being only 50k, why would we need any more? :)

Heath
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't check them because I think the rule is dumb. If not 50k make it 1mb. A mb is nothing these days.

People still use dial up?

Just because it's not a rule that people always check for doesn't mean that it's a rule that should be abolished. As for people on dial-up, while most people are using broadband services it's still important for people on dial-up to be able to access the site and see the signatures. I'd dread to try and open a thread on dial-up with 1MB signatures all over the shop.

Besides, with programs like IrfanView you can change the quality of images and reduce the file size that way, so if you've got a signature that's too big size-wise it's not difficult at all to just reduce the quality a bit so that it stays under the limit. 50kb limit is fine given the current size restrictions.

Takara
04-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Even people who don't have dial up would sometime have trouble loading pages if 1mb signatures were allowed. As it is, I'm on high speed and my computer groans when opening threads sometimes due to all the graphics.

I believe for now that the 50k limit is good. A lot of talented people could edit your signature to fit the size limit without it loosing quality if you asked them nicely. :)

Flying Mullet
04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
How could we remove that little nugget of joy from Leeza's day?

Why on earth would you need 1 MB for a signature? 50k is more than enough. If you can't make your signature images under 50k that means you suck at photoshop and shouldn't be making signatures anyways. Leave it to the pros in the <a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/help-forum/113355-signature-service.html">Signature Service</a> thread.

qwertysaur
04-15-2008, 03:05 PM
The 50kb sig size limit is there so those with dial-up are able to open pages on our site without having to wait 5 minutes waiting for peoples signatures to load. if you were to give every member high speed internet, then the 50kb sig size limit may be repealed.

BG-57
04-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Larger signatures are not necessarily better. I've always found the size limitations an adequate balance between loading time and individual expression.

And I used dial-up until this year, so I'm sure it's an issue with others.

Bahamut2000X
04-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I think the rules fine the way it is.

Besides I thought the uploading of it meant you couldn't upload past the limit much like the avatars and attachments being picky on the size you upload. I didn't even think the data limit was an issue since I figured the forums handled it already. If that's not the case then we'll need to start cracking down a bit on sigs.

Jess
04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
50k is big enough. If a signature exceeds the limit it is not difficult to resize the signature without losing too much quality. :jess:

Del Murder
04-17-2008, 04:29 AM
You guys sound like a broken record. :p

Ouch!
04-17-2008, 04:39 AM
That would be what happens when you set the precedence that the feedbag forum may be used to see how we would react in the regular feedback forum. Everyone wants to prove that they're capable of responding to every question, regardless of whether or not someone beat them to it.

I'm sorry, did I just say that out loud?

Del Murder
04-17-2008, 05:03 AM
Haha, I like it! Let's get cutthroat.

Ouch!
04-17-2008, 05:05 AM
I just call it as I see it, chief.

Del Murder
04-17-2008, 05:10 AM
I am fully aware of what's going on here. I'm the host, after all.

You all are just pawns in my game.

Ouch!
04-17-2008, 05:13 AM
I never questioned whether or not you recognized what's going on; perhaps I'm just trying to open the eyes of your pawns. I don't mind playing along in your game, chief. I wouldn't have joined if I wasn't up for a little bit of fun.

Takara
04-17-2008, 05:29 AM
I am fully aware of what's going on here. I'm the host, after all.

You all are just pawns in my game.

I feel somewhat abused by that comment, yet at the same time, I like it. Does that make me a masochist? :rolleyes2

Ouch!
04-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Nope. It makes you entertainment.

Takara
04-17-2008, 08:35 PM

Do I get paid for that?

Ouch!
04-17-2008, 09:36 PM

Do I get paid for that?

Only if you win. =D

Levian
04-19-2008, 03:46 AM
I love that rule.

Giga Guess' sig once was half a kb over the limit, and I removed it faster than Psychotic gets investigated in Mafia games. Gotta be brutal in this business.