PDA

View Full Version : Feedfag Forum

XxSephirothxX
04-15-2008, 05:57 AM
ed's been going around calling a bunch of people fags lately, but it's always joking and doesn't seem too serious. But where's the line? Can he get away with a little more because it's his character, is it okay for anybody, or is it just wrong wrong wrong?

If everyone else can clearly see it's all in good fun, but an overly sensitive member feels very offended, what do you do?

Ouch!
04-15-2008, 06:38 AM
As BOU said some three years ago, fag has become an all-purpose insult for the internet. Since everyone seems to be recognizing that it's all just a joke, I don't see the problem. If one person seems offended by it, I think that member should be able to ask ed to stop. It shouldn't be a knight's job to babysit the rest of the forum if the dispute can easily be resolved between the members involved. If ed really is just joking, I'm sure if someone asked him to, he would stop. If not, then we would have to get involved.

Heath
04-15-2008, 12:10 PM
If people are genuinely offended by it, then I think something should be done about it regardless of the fact that ed is joking. However if nobody is offended and people see it as the joke that it is, then I don't think there's too much of an issue about ed carrying on provided that people appreciate he's not being serious about it.

Flying Mullet
04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
If people aren't using the warn button, then they aren't very offended.

It's there for a reason people, use it! :smash:

Takara
04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Mullet is correctamundo.

We cannot read minds, so if someone does not inform us that they have been offended by something ed, or anybody else said, we cannot look into the matter. If you know of someone , especially a new member, who was offended by something that was said to them, tell them to contact us with the details, and we will look into it.

Bahamut2000X
04-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Mullet is correct on the warn button.

However I feel the word 'faq' isn't one that should really be used, as there are homosexuals on this site and it's a derogatory term as well as just being a mean thing to say. I thought this was a PG-13 site? If I had access to the admin panel I would filter it out since too much negative comes out of it then positive.

BG-57
04-16-2008, 12:25 AM
My view on slurs IRL is they should only be used by people belonging to that group to refer to themselves, should they want to. I will sometimes cheerfully refer to myself using ethnic/religious slurs that apply to me, but I'd feel very differently if someone else pointed at me and called me names.

That being said, on this site we should discourage the use of slurs like the one being discussed. Even if it's in a kidding tone, it's not a good example to be setting.

Bahamut2000X
04-16-2008, 12:54 AM
The thread in question has been closed and ed got a warning about his use of words, flaming, and spamming.

XxSephirothxX
04-16-2008, 12:57 AM
You just closed a thread because ed called someone a fag in one of his posts? Harsh!

Ouch!
04-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Tough love at work, it seems.

Bahamut2000X
04-16-2008, 01:31 AM
You just closed a thread because ed called someone a fag in one of his posts? Harsh!

I 'closed' his thread cause he was spamming and flaming. :p

Besides since it got closed and warned there's been 90% less ed spammage in the past 3 hours. :monster:

Jess
04-16-2008, 01:44 PM
As long as he is not offending anybody, I don't see a problem. If people were warning his posts because they took offence it would be a different story and ed would be dealt with accordingly. :jess:

Levian
04-19-2008, 04:36 AM
Whether or not you can joke about touchy subjects revolves around certain important factors. One of them obviously being Join Date, it's just not OK to joke around too much if you're too new. However Join Date in itself is not enough, you'll have to remember certain key members that have abandoned us long time ago and if you remember some uninteresting facts about them then that's great too. If you lack the join date, then you might have to go for the "silly avatar" approach. If you have a silly avatar, you'll come off as a generally more kooky* person and you might just get away with things here and there. I think there's some mathematical formula for this whole process but I don't hate myself so I won't get into that.

*Credit to Jojee for the term "kooky"