PDA

View Full Version : The X-Box 360's Newton Controller. (ThreeMote)

KentaRawr!
04-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Article Gizmondo (http://gizmodo.com/377855/more-xbox-360-wiimote-details-code-name-newton)

More Xbox 360 Wiimote Details: Code Name 'Newton'

After MTV News broke the news on Microsoft designing a Nintendo Wii-like Wiimote for the Xbox 360, 8bitjoystick felt it was time to give up their secrets as well. Not only do they confirm that the project exists, but they can give up the codename for it: Newton. Jesus was kind enough to mock up a version of the controller based on MTV's sketch.

Jake also says that Microsoft has recently licensed patents from Gyration, maker of those gesture mice we all know and don't really care about. Nintendo did the same back in 2001 in order to help develop their own Wiimote.

The 360mote will also receive signal from an LED sensor bar (like the Wii), but one-ups the Wiimote by having a microphone on board for Xbox Live chat. He doesn't have many other solid points of data—there are guesses about it using the standard rechargeable battery pack and what colors it will have—but he does think the target date of late '08 looks very likely.

Edit: Article Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/377798/more-info-on-xbox-360-wiimote)

More Info On Xbox 360 Wiimote?

Not so long ago, a major rumor dropped courtesy of an MTV source that Microsoft was developing a Wiimote-style peripheral for the Xbox 360. Many were shocked at the totally crazy news, but truth be told, there have been rumblings about the possibility for some time. That report just added a big pile of legitimacy to the whispers.

Now 8bitjoystick, a blog known for close affiliation with somebody at Microsoft, is confirming that the peripheral indeed exists under the codename "Newton," and that the public could see the device by this winter.

Their details tell of a device using licensed Gyration patents—the same firm Nintendo scored much of their tech—that utilizes an LED sensor bar, accelerometers and gyroscope, as well as separate 2-way wireless communication (just like the Wiimote uses Bluetooth, the 36mote would probably use Microsoft's proprietary frequency).

8bitjoystick speculates that the Xbox Play & Charge battery pack will fit in the controller, and will dictate much of its design (assuring curved edges and a dual-AA width).

My thought on the matter is why wouldn't Microsoft make such a device? So what if it flops? So what if Microsoft loses a few licensing dollars? A 360mote would allow Microsoft to compete with not just Sony, but Nintendo as well.

Sounds cool. I doubt that many games will circle around the device though, unless this new controller is packaged with future systems. I'm glad it has the pointer. That's easily my favorite part of the Wii Remote, as it directly represents your hand's movement, even if it can't be used for simulation purposes. The thing about the pointer is that rather than inputting a command with some kind of different motion in replacement of a button press, you've got direct control over something, like a cursor. I doubt any company would really use the pointer in a Command-Fashion.

However, as nice as the pointer is, I highly dislike that layout shown on the page. Unless it's much smaller than I think it is, that looks like it'll be tough to actually use the buttons on the controller effectively. Also, this ThreeMote lacks a Nunchuk attachment, so you'll probably have to use that D-Pad for movement. The buttons should be placed in a way so that your thumb will land on the D-Pad, and your other fingers can hit the other 4 buttons.

What do you think of this?

Dreddz
04-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh Microsoft, when will you learn.

Mirage
04-15-2008, 08:19 PM
I'd say they've learned quite a bit. They've got a fair chunk of console market share now.

Old Manus
04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Hahaha, the tables have turned on all the 360ers who piled the hate on Sony for having a tilt sensor on their controllers.

Something tells me nobody is going to see it in the same way this time though.

Dreddz
04-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I'd say they've learned quite a bit. They've got a fair chunk of console market share now.

What are you, a Microsoft employee? Market share is (unfortunately) all Microsoft care about. I dont know what bozo at Microsoft thought that this was a good idea (eureka! Now we've got the best of both worlds, why would the consumer say no to us now!). Im sure everyone that owns a 360 does not want or care about this, if they cared they would of already done the sensible thing and got a Wii.

Ive got my fair share of issues with the Wii but at least Nintendo have it as their main focus, so you can be sure if it can be done right it will probably be from Nintendo. This is a half assed creation that lacks no originality and just a blatant attempt to get the attention of some of the Wii fans out there. Microsoft are ruining this industry by always trying to 1up their competetion, whether it be stealing ideas or exclusives.

Hahaha, the tables have turned on all the 360ers who piled the hate on Sony for having a tilt sensor on their controllers.

Something tells me nobody is going to see it in the same way this time though.
While I think Sony should of left out the tilt sensoring entirely at least it wasnt an all too obvious attempt to copy Nintendo. This on the other hand is just too blatant.

Bolivar
04-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Microsoft are ruining this industry by always trying to 1up their competetion, whether it be stealing ideas or exclusives.

and that's basically how microsoft has become what it is today, that's really the only business strategy they have.

I wanna say "good for them", but at this point in the system's lifespan, is it really worth it? Are microsoft-leaning developers simply going to go for this brand new development angle?

I suppose it's smart on one hand, because not only do they already get the 3rd party PS3 & 360 next-gen titles that the Wii can't handle, but now they might be able to get wii 3rd party titles that the PS3 can't be compatible with.

DK
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I want a 360 pad that works well for fighting games far more than this poncy gimmick pad. :{

Yew-Yevon
04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Its just a half assed ripoff that should die in the pits of gameing hell. ok I'm done.

Roto13
04-16-2008, 02:53 AM
Any motion sensing Microsoft will have with the 360 will be a tacked on gimmick since it's too late to introduce it on a large scale now. Maybe next gen.

Loony BoB
04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
It's nice to know the option is there, even if it might not sell big. There are certain games, though, which could benefit from the option to use this and I see no downside for Microsoft in this 'idea'.

Citizen Bleys
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
The downside would be development cost. I have absolutely no intention of purchasing this controller. If I wanted that sort of control, I'd have got a Wii, not a 360.

I Took the Red Pill
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
oh hey EyeToy.

KentaRawr!
04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
oh hey EyeToy.

Similar in that it's a device to get people off their feet, but different in its versatility.

I Took the Red Pill
04-21-2008, 11:57 PM
oh hey EyeToy.

Similar in that it's a device to get people off their feet, but different in its versatility.I meant the comparison to draw upon the EyeToy's flop and eventual fading into nothingness, but yours is OK too.

Lawr
04-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Microsoft.

KentaRawr!
04-22-2008, 02:03 AM
oh hey EyeToy.

Similar in that it's a device to get people off their feet, but different in its versatility.I meant the comparison to draw upon the EyeToy's flop and eventual fading into nothingness, but yours is OK too.

Oh.

JaytodaP
04-22-2008, 02:05 AM
HiJacked!

I don't think I would waste my money on it. What's wrong with the regular controller? I thought pushing buttons was fine. Oh god I hope it doesnt turn up like the Power Glove.

Lawr
04-22-2008, 02:10 AM
What's wrong with the regular controller? I thought pushing buttons was fine.

I want a 360 pad that works well for fighting games far more than this poncy gimmick pad. :{

I agree entirely with Kyono.

KentaRawr!
04-22-2008, 02:10 AM
HiJacked!

I don't think I would waste my money on it. What's wrong with the regular controller? I thought pushing buttons was fine. Oh god I hope it doesnt turn up like the Power Glove.

Since this controller is being introduced after the regular controller was already decided, and its obvious disregard for comfortable button pressing, I'd say it will.

Mirage
04-22-2008, 12:21 PM

What are you, a Microsoft employee? Market share is (unfortunately) all Microsoft care about.

Yeah, I'm a MS employee because the 360 has the second most console sales for the current gen. Your reasoning capabilities are extreme!

Market share, and in turn, profit, is what all corporations try to maximize. Be it MS, Sony, Nintendo or whatever.

PhoenixAsh
04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't get it... why are people objecting to the best of both worlds?

The WiiMote is great, but the selection of games isn't. Neither does the console have the technology to take games that far. Personally I'm caught between which console to buy, and frankly, if the new remote works, then that'd make my decision more or less...

... that and if Nintendo ever gets round to giving Smash to Europe :mad:

Roto13
04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
The 360mote is an afterthought and a cash in. It's not going to be the "best of both worlds," it's going to be a cash in. There's no way it'll be implemented well at this point. Nintendo focused on it enough to keep it from being a gimmick. Microsoft won't.

PhoenixAsh
04-23-2008, 11:49 AM
The Wiimote is only occasionally not a gimmick. Espescially with earlier games, Nintendo had to find its feet. Microsoft has seen what works with the Wii and what doesn't. The pointer at least is such a blindingly useful device that its almost a necessity rather than a gimmick for future consoles.

KentaRawr!
04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
I think what you mean is that developers rarely use the Wii Remote effectively. And that, I agree with.