PDA

View Full Version : Swear filters.

Goldenboko
04-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Hahaha, let's have our fun with swear filters. Yeah its funny to see Chuck Norris get turned into Raoul Duke, but I don't think we should have vgcats turn into Not Funny. This screws up links, I know not everyone links themselves to there, but its happened a few times, and it bothers me.

Peegee
04-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I actually wasn't aware of vgcats being Not Funny. That's funny xD

Heath
04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
People are aware of the VG-Cats thing turning into Not Funny, so for the time being they can simply get around the filter when posting links. However, as true as it is, I don't really see much need for that particular filter if it is causing/will cause a problem to forum users. As it is, though, there's not an overwhelming need to fix it.

Flying Mullet
04-17-2008, 07:07 PM
As Heath said, enough people know how to bypass the filters when appropriate that it's not a big deal, i.e. making Yo:skull::skull::skull::skull:aka Amano read Yosh</>itaka Amano.

qwertysaur
04-17-2008, 07:08 PM
It's not really hurting anyone, and the filter only works if there is no space.
Not Funny
And if there is a space
VG Cats. If it annoys you just use a space or a dash.
Note: Do not try to avoid the other swear filters though. This is an advance warning.

Goldenboko
04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
qwerty you can't have spaces in url's :)

Secondly, using the size trick breaks links

Example:

www.vgcats.com

And destroys image tags:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/080414.jpg

Takara
04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
It's not like people are forbidden to just type the url themselves in their browser's address bar if they can't click on the broken link.

Flying Mullet
04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Besides, "vg</>cats" is a filter set up specifically for your posts, Gobo.

rubah
04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
(more swear filters means the server has to do a whole lot more processing. Samuraid recommended we cut back on them when he was an admin, just FYI)

Heath
04-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Then all the more reason to consider getting rid of at least the VG-Cats one? As funny as the filter is, there's no real need for it.

Ouch!
04-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Is trout still in the swear filter?

Edit: Apparently not.

Goldenboko
04-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Besides, "vg</>cats" is a filter set up specifically for your posts, Gobo.

Lies! I can link to a usernote made by Zeromus_X that was ruined because of this filter!

Anyway, it seems vg cats filter should be removed, I expect to see action on this matter!

It's not like people are forbidden to just type the url themselves in their browser's address bar if they can't click on the broken link.

One could use that logic to say there is no need for the url option at all then.

Levian
04-19-2008, 03:34 AM
So, when are we getting "FFVII Remake confirmed" filtered into "I are sick"?