PDA

View Full Version : FFF Final Fantasy Film

Depression Moon
04-17-2008, 11:22 PM
I know this has probably been discussed here quite a bit, but I've been gone for a while and I just feel that I should start a good topic before havingt to leave again. I know some people didn't like Advent Children like me and a whole lot thought that Spirits Within really hd nothing to do with FF so what do you think? Should Square do another movie based off their greatest selling franchise or not? To me I believe so, but I think that they really shouldn't do it. What i mean by that is have another company make it like a lot of these foreign or game based movies, but not anyone can do it.
It would have to have a good director, I'm not sure who right now, but I definetly know that I want the movie to stand out on its own, meaning I do not want it based on a game in the series, I want to represent FF and be so great that we wished we had a game for it. Of course the elements it would need are a Cid that makes airships, chocobos for a transportation method, moogles, interesting characters, and a deep story that has some of heir humor thrown in.

I would love to see that happen.

Big D
04-17-2008, 11:50 PM
There's plenty of potential for them to make engaging, original stories that are set firmly within the FF universe. It'd be rather neat to see a unique story or two - not necessarily spin-offs of existing games, maybe wholly new adventures. If they tried, they could produce self-contained stories that could stand alone as deep, but fun, fantasy fiction, and that'd be neat to see.

Heath
04-18-2008, 01:07 AM
I think Square would be pretty apprehensive about a new film given how badly The Spirits Within performed. Which is a shame, because that could've been a real landmark both for Square and for animated films in general.

Having said that, I agree with Big D. If they were to make a new film, it'd be better to have a self-contained story rather than a spin-off or adaptation of one of the games. Having said that, if a film was made of FFVII, then I'm sure the crowds would be drawn in to see that because it's a popular game, but I personally would rather they didn't. Square's emphasis these days seems to be on previous games (through the remakes for the DS, the whole FFVII 'franchise', etc) and so I think it'd be better if they did something new for a hypothetical film, rather than a rehash of something they've already done.

Tabris
04-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I would have loved a movie from Spira, either a prequel or sequel to the games, or an original story from that game, maybe something that went on parallell to the game itself.

Vivisteiner
04-18-2008, 08:12 PM
It would be good seeing a movie with an original plot, that was truly fantasy and truly representative of the series.

Roogle
04-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I do not think a Square Enix movie venture would be successful based on its history with Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

Consequently, I almost harbor a grudge because of the failure of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within to break into the market. Would Squaresoft still exist if Final Fantasy: Spirits Within was a box office success and made millions and millions of dollars?

Gilthanes
04-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Spirits Within failed because they slapped final fantasy title on something that was a piece of crap to begin with, and did nothing but infuriate the fans for spending $8 each to go see a big fat lie.

It would be mildly successful if they made a movie, with ACTUAL ELEMENTS OF FINAL FANTASY in it. ya know... magic, chocobos, moogles, airships, Cid, black and red mages with their iconic hats. Include at least 2 or 3 of the above icons, make it a good story that fits into 2-2.5 hours of a movie, and profit

They wont do it though, they are too chicken after the monumental failure of Spirits Within, because they lied to their fans about making a FF movie that clearly wasnt FF.

Shattered Dreamer
04-19-2008, 01:07 AM
With consideration to all everyone has said, I'd still love to see a movie set in the worlds of FFVII or FFXII would be just awesome.

Roogle
04-21-2008, 08:51 PM
It would be mildly successful if they made a movie, with ACTUAL ELEMENTS OF FINAL FANTASY in it. ya know... magic, chocobos, moogles, airships, Cid, black and red mages with their iconic hats. Include at least 2 or 3 of the above icons, make it a good story that fits into 2-2.5 hours of a movie, and profit.

I do not think a real Final Fantasy movie would be mildly successful unless they gave it a heavy epic spin like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and it would still be a very risky move, as these types of films rarely see the top box office hits list.

Jessweeee♪
04-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Hmm...it'd be risky...we don't want another Spirits Within, that's for sure! I liked Advent Children, if they could do something even better than that, then kewl.

Rantz
04-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I'd love to see a Final Fantasy themed movie by Hayao Miyazaki. *dreams*

Heath
04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
It would be mildly successful if they made a movie, with ACTUAL ELEMENTS OF FINAL FANTASY in it. ya know... magic, chocobos, moogles, airships, Cid, black and red mages with their iconic hats. Include at least 2 or 3 of the above icons, make it a good story that fits into 2-2.5 hours of a movie, and profit.

I do not think a real Final Fantasy movie would be mildly successful unless they gave it a heavy epic spin like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and it would still be a very risky move, as these types of films rarely see the top box office hits list.

I agree. While there'd undoubtedly be a lot of interest from people on this community and people interested in gaming in general, I don't think that it'd be be that successful a film at box office. A critical success, maybe, but almost certainly not a commercial success.

Roogle
04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
I agree. While there'd undoubtedly be a lot of interest from people on this community and people interested in gaming in general, I don't think that it'd be be that successful a film at box office. A critical success, maybe, but almost certainly not a commercial success.

There is a trend in the entertainment industry that most movies based off of video game series underperform at the box office. This has been disproven with certain movies like Resident Evil, but, at the same time, there may be a correlation between how far the movie deviates from its source material and its success, too, which is something to keep in mind when one questions why Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was so different from a Final Fantasy game.