PDA

View Full Version : Who would you say are the Chrono Trigger counterparts in Chrono Cross?

KentaRawr!
04-18-2008, 03:16 AM
Just as the title says. Out of the Playable Characters in Chrono Cross, whom do you feel are counterparts of the Chrono Trigger characters? In other words, which characters in Chrono Cross are most similar to characters in Chrono Trigger?

For Frog, I think that Glenn was obviously meant as a reference, especially with the X-Strike. However, he doesn't really act much like Frog at all, despite him having similarities. I haven't actually ever had Turnip in my party, but based on the descriptions I've heard of the little guy, it seems like he acts the most like Frog, and he looks more like Frog than Glenn does, at least when we're talking about how Frog was seen in gameplay. He's pudgy, and seems to talk in old English. Turnip be Frog all right.

Guile most reminds me of Magus, and I think we all have heard the theory that Guile was originally going to be in Chrono Cross as the character "Magil", but decided not to. Magil was a traveling mate of both Kid and Serge in the game "Radical Dreamers", which this game is more or less a recreation of in terms of story, and Radical Dreamers is referenced in Chrono Cross at one point. Because Magil in Radical Dreamers was described as having a mask cover a good portion of his face, and due to his long, blue hair, and his obvious relation to Magic, it seems as though Guile really was designed with Magil in mind. I think that if we're looking for a Magus counter-part, Guile would probably be the best choice. He doesn't really look much like Magus in-game, but he's the closest thing.

Now you. :3

Roogle
04-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I felt that there were far too many playable characters in Chrono Cross to draw direct comparison to playable characters in Chrono Trigger.

Luccia reminded me of Lucca. Glenn reminded me of Frog. As you mentioned, there were some rather obvious references in the character roster of Chrono Cross.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-19-2008, 12:18 AM
"Radical Dreamers", which this game is more or less a recreation of in terms of storyNot really, though. Radical Dreamers still officially takes place in yet another universe parallel to the ones you visit in Cross.

KentaRawr!
04-19-2008, 02:56 AM
"Radical Dreamers", which this game is more or less a recreation of in terms of storyNot really, though. Radical Dreamers still officially takes place in yet another universe parallel to the ones you visit in Cross.

That's true, but it's still no lie that Chrono Cross's story was at least based off of Radical Dreamer's, such as with Kid's back-story.

Roogle
04-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Is this derived from that short scene in Chronopolis that looks like a translated version of events from Radical Dreamers? That game was so different than Chrono Cross, so it is difficult to truly reconcile those events somehow coinciding with the events in Chrono Cross especially with the mention of Magil.

KentaRawr!
05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Radical Dreamers is hardly something that should be held accounted for. If there's some kind of anomaly that prevents Radical Dreamers from existing alongside Chrono Cross, then it seems like that scene in Chronopolis should just be considered a quick little non-canonical cameo, in my opinion. :p

Roogle
05-02-2008, 07:41 PM
If there's some kind of anomaly that prevents Radical Dreamers from existing alongside Chrono Cross, then it seems like that scene in Chronopolis should just be considered a quick little non-canonical cameo, in my opinion. :p

I took that quick scene as a cameo, too. The background in Chrono Cross is significantly different than the background in Radical Dreamers, so I wonder whether or not the writers took that into account when adding that scene into the game. I think Chrono Compendium (http://www.chronocompendium.com) has some more information about it.