PDA

View Full Version : What books are you reading right now

Iceglow
04-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Ok so like the music thread here, what books are you reading or have read recently or are going to read?

Recent Reads

Double Eagle - Dan Abnett (warhammer 40k, spin off from the Gaunts Ghosts series)
Legion - Dan Abnett (again warhammer 40k, latest in the horus heresy series. Great books if you ever played 40k and liked the back history or enjoyed DoW)
The Hounds of Avalon - Mark Chadbourn (last in The Dark Age trillogy a fantastic series starts with the Age of Misrule trillogy, worth a read for sure. Think modern day England with suddenly throwing a load of celtic mythology in to it very different and inspiring)

Currently Reading

Jack Of Ravens - Mark Chadbourn (This is latest series based on the world established in the Age of Misrule following the story of one of the characters who was a central lynch pin to the entire multiverse created by those books)

Future reads

The Burning Man - Mark Chadbourn (Once I find this book I'm definitely going to read it I've been heavily engaged in the series since I first read book 1 and 2 of the Dark Age series a few years back since then I went back to the original series Age of Misrule and fell in love with the world idea)

Blackhearts omnibus - Nathan Long (Warhammer Fantasy collection, seemed interesting so I figured I'd read it since nothing seems to be grabbing my eye at the moment bar warhammer based books and Mark Chadbourn)

And that I believe is that for the immediate future and yes I read a lot of books, in fact Double Eagle whilst over 450 pages long took me approximately 6 hours to read completely.

Rye
04-19-2008, 12:28 AM
I've recently read/reread:

Norweigan Wood - Haruki Murakami
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Grotesque - Natsuo Kirino
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 3 - Ann Brasheres
The Twilight Trilogy - Stephanie Meyer

I want to read Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. It's right next to me, I guess I'll start it soon. xD

I also really want to read A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father by Augusten Burroughs. I adore him.

XxSephirothxX
04-19-2008, 12:29 AM
I recently finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, which is one of the best sci-fi books I've read in quite awhile.

I'm currently reading Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned by Walter Mosley for my Lit class, and today I started Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead because I thought it might be a bit more accessible than Atlas Shrugged, and due to various influences I've been wanting to read her stuff for quite some time.

Flying Mullet
04-19-2008, 12:30 AM
It's more of a coffee table type of book, but it has a lot of interesting information in it.

OCEAN WORLD OF JACQUES COUSTEAU - HC DJ - 1979 - BOOK - eBay (item 220117975689 end time Apr-26-08 08:23:55 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/OCEAN-WORLD-OF-JACQUES-COUSTEAU-HC-DJ-1979-BOOK_W0QQitemZ220117975689QQihZ012QQcategoryZ378QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?refid=store)

Tallulah
04-19-2008, 12:36 AM
The Essential Guide To Driving.

I love non-fiction. :p

Carl the Llama
04-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Recent Reads:
Wrath of a Mad God (Raymond E. Feist)
Daughter of the Empire (as above + Janny Wurts)

Reading:
The Redemption of Althalus (no matter how many times I read it never gets old (David and Leigh Eddings))

Future Reads:
Probbly Servant of the Empire then Mistress of the Empire.

Peegee
04-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I took a break from No Logo to read Smith, George Atheism: The Case Against God, (1974)

Almost done. Now I have no excuse to procrastinate reading No Logo.

Heath
04-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Finished The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressel last week. I've just started The English Patient, though I'm not very far at the moment.

Miriel
04-19-2008, 04:05 AM
Recent reads:
Jitterbug Perfume: Tom Robbins (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553348981)
My Sister's Keeper: Jodi Picoult (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743454537 )
Shopaholic & Baby: Sophie Kinsella (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385338716)
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: Anne Fadiman (http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Catches-You-Fall-Down/dp/0374525641/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208574199&sr=1-2)

Current read:

Nothing! I need someone to recommend me something good.

qwertysaur
04-19-2008, 04:07 AM
Been reading this for chemistry class, it's pretty interesting

The Elements of Murder: A History of Poison By John Emsley

Bunny
04-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Currently Reading:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Next:
The Belgariad, The Malleron, and The Elenium by David Eddings. A somewhat daunting task considering it is 13 books. But I love Eddings' writing style, so it is a task worthy of undertaking.

escobert
04-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Currently The Golden Compass.
last book I read was Running With Scissors
I might read the next his dark materials or I might finish up narnia. I need to read The Horse and His Boy.

Bunny
04-19-2008, 06:50 AM
That's a good book.

Aerith's Knight
04-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Recent reads

- LOTR - J.R. Tolkien
- Ruthless.com - Tom Clancey
- Firesea - by someone i dont remem
- Halo: Ghost of onix - Eric lyclum(or something)

current reads

- Atlantis - again.. i dont remem
- Ludlum books, there are a lot of them. - Ludlum(duuh!)

Jess
04-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm reading Steven Gerrard's My Autobiography and Alan Shearer's My Illustrated Career Special Edition. :jess:

Araciel
04-19-2008, 11:18 AM
They don't make TV Guide anymore.

Breine
04-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Currently reading Lord of the Rings.. again. After that I'm probably going to read Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin.

scrumpleberry
04-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Currently The Golden Compass.
last book I read was Running With Scissors
I might read the next his dark materials or I might finish up narnia. I need to read The Horse and His Boy.

IT IS MOST AWESOME. I love that book!

Recent reads:
Jitterbug Perfume: Tom Robbins (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553348981)
My Sister's Keeper: Jodi Picoult (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743454537 )
Shopaholic & Baby: Sophie Kinsella (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385338716)
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: Anne Fadiman (http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Catches-You-Fall-Down/dp/0374525641/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208574199&sr=1-2)

Current read:

Nothing! I need someone to recommend me something good.

Gormenghast trilogy. It'll keep you going for a good while.

I'm currently making my way through a bunch of old books I never got around to reading. Atm I'm reading "THE HUNDRED GREATEST WIMMINZ EVAR" or something like that. Looking forward to a book on the history and geography of human genes, co-written by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza and 2 other random dudes.

Polaris
04-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I started "Little Women" a two days ago and also "Das glückliche Tal" by Annemarie Schwarzenbach :)

Germ Hamee
04-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Currently Reading: Dune, by Frank Herbert

Recently Read: A Feast For Crows, by George RR Martin
Renegade's Magic, by Robin Hobb

Up next: The Book of Joby, by Some Guy.

I Don't Need A Name
04-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Recent Reads
Splinter Of The Mind's Eye - Alan Dean Foster
Hard Contact - Karen Traviss

Current Read
Skulduggery Pleasant: Playing With Fire - Derek Landy

Future Reads
Lisey's Story, Dark Tower 1&2 - Stephen King

Carl the Llama
04-19-2008, 04:32 PM
- Firesea - by someone i dont remember

Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman (its part 3 of the Deathgate Cycle)

Currently Reading: Dune, by Frank Herbert

Recently Read: A Feast For Crows, by George RR Martin
Renegade's Magic, by Robin Hobb

Up next: The Book of Joby, by Some Guy.

I found it really hard to read A Feast for Crows... I think old George has lost some of his pace in this book.

Germ Hamee
04-19-2008, 06:30 PM
I found it really hard to read A Feast for Crows... I think old George has lost some of his pace in this book.

After A Storm of Swords, yeah, it was a really tough read. Nothing really exciting happened until the last hundred or so pages. Hopefully the wait for A Dance with Dragons is worth all this.

Quindiana Jones
04-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Dresden Files.

Arc_Master_14
04-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Recent
Animal Farm - George Orwell

Current
I am Legend - Richard Matheson
See How They Run - James Patterson

Future
1985 - George Orwell
The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells (I think...)

Carl the Llama
04-20-2008, 01:05 AM

After A Storm of Swords, yeah, it was a really tough read. Nothing really exciting happened until the last hundred or so pages. Hopefully the wait for A Dance with Dragons is worth all this.

you know I have all his books signed with a personal inscription ^^ I met him at the UK launch of a Feast for Crows =D

Gilghamut
04-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Current: The Dragons of Babel, by Michael Swanwick.

Aerith's Knight
04-20-2008, 04:55 AM
- Firesea - by someone i dont remember

Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman (its part 3 of the Deathgate Cycle)

No, not that book. My book was about people discovering an ancient marble chamber that was made by a people whiped out by floods, because they all lived near the sea while the people that live now, were decendants of the cavemen in the mountains.. so about atlantis.. not wizards..

Germ Hamee
04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
you know I have all his books signed with a personal inscription ^^ I met him at the UK launch of a Feast for Crows =D

That's awesome. He's a nice guy, very down to earth. I met him at a convention here about a year ago, and he was totally cool. It just sucks his signature is incomprehensible. I was like, "Wow, I could have had my kid cousin sign this and sell it on eBay." Nobody would even know, lol.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
04-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Last book I read was Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. It was definitely an interesting read.

I'm not reading anything now because I'm too broke and I lost my library card also. D:

daggertrepe
04-20-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm currently reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Amazing!

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-01-2008, 05:10 AM
I have just finished reading The Second Summoning by Tanya Huff. About to start Smoke and Mirrors by Tanya Huff.

Basically I am reading her The Keeper's Chronicles and her Smoke series at the same time, alternating series. After that I am thinking of reading her Blood Books series as to glean background info on the main character from the Smoke series.

This is my first introduction into what would be, I guess, "urban fantasy". Huff is a decent author, hilarious to say the least. More so her The Keeper's Chronicle series than Smoke series.

rubah
05-01-2008, 05:15 AM
I finished reading a novel called Men and Angels this weekend. It wasn't terribly great, but it could've been worse. I'm trying to decide what I want to read next, but since I'm going home, my library selections will be impeded badly :(

Manny
05-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Previous Reads:
Oh, Jesus, don't make me remember.

Current Reads:
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins
Needful Things by Stephen King

Future Reads:
Erm... Don't make me remember.

Dolentrean
05-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Recent Reads:
Red Dragon
Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal - All by Tommis Harris

Current Reads - World War Z

eestlinc
05-01-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm reading a bunch of real page turners right now:

Securities Regulation by Thomas Hazen
Fundamentals of Economic Analysis of Law by Steven Shavell
Civil Rights Legislation by Theodore Eisenberg

If I even get back to reading for something other than class, Im still in the middle of:

Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon

Nominus Experse
05-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Flying Mullet
05-01-2008, 08:21 PM
I hear that one has a real plot twist towards the end.

Rantz
05-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Currently:

Hans Nċdes Tid by Eyvind Johansson – a story about 8th century Lombardy and a farmer family who lives there. Just started reading this, but it shows promise.
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat by Oliver Sacks – a collection of stories about neurology patients of Sacks', exhibiting rare and fascinating, sometimes scary handicaps. Sacks describes these in a fantastic way, with clever observations and a touch of humour where appropriate.

Recently:

Tree and Leaf by J.R.R. Tolkien
Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie
The Magician of Lublin by Isaac Bashevis Singer
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Future:

The Iliad by Homer
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
The House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoevsky

eestlinc
05-05-2008, 05:37 AM
I hear that one has a real plot twist towards the end.

I can't wait to get there. Although I think the government is in the process of rewriting the ending in light of current financial troubles.

Cat's Cradle is so great.