PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts I-IV

Rostum
04-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Okay, so maybe there's a thread about this somewhere but not on the last two pages (though I only skimmed through the pages).

I just picked this album up by Nine Inch Nails and I think it's probably some of the most incredible stuff that they have produced. I am a fan of their older stuff, and did not really like With Teeth, but to be honest I would find myself listening to these instrumental tracks a lot more these days.

What do you guys think?

Old Manus
04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
It's pretty good, but seems to try too hard imho

Necronopticous
04-20-2008, 06:15 PM
For me, Ghosts I-IV was pretty much the last straw for Nine Inch Nails; the final proof that Trent Reznor is done innovating. The record is unrefined, boring, and worst of all, uninspired.

There was a time when Nine Inch Nails was pushing the envelope and damn near reforming industrial music altogether with each and every release, and it saddens and upsets me that those days are long gone.

I didn't like With Teeth because there was not one thing on the entire record that they hadn't already explored, and after five years of waiting for a new Nine Inch Nails record we got a filler album. At least it had structure, though. Ghosts I-IV is just a collection of what I see as Trent Reznor scraping the bottom of the barrel for material that's fresh. It's a painfully long release that takes nearly every abstract concept of old Nine Inch Nails music and sticks them together in seemingly every possible permutation.

Trent Reznor says it's a "soundtrack for daydreams." Suitably pretentious.

Rostum
04-21-2008, 01:46 AM
I guess I've just never been into Nine Inch Nails enough, only listening occasionally to their older stuff. When I started listening to this album, I wasn't sitting there thinking "I hope he innovates something totally new to music!" but more along the lines of something easy going I can listen to, and I found some nice rhythms and experiments that I hadn't really heard in my other music.

I think you'd being too critical of it, plus it's not as if it cost as much as a full album (at least, not where I bough it from), was only $10 opposed to $25-$30 here (aud).

But each to their own. :)

Relapse
04-26-2008, 05:54 AM
yeah up until fragile, he was kinda good. then came WT. it was ok, which is bad for NIN. at least YZ was better. haven't listened to G1-4 yet tho.

Proxy
04-28-2008, 05:14 AM
I personally liked it. but i'm a big fan of nin.
why didn't anyone like WT? I thought it was great, but downward spiral = <3

Manny
05-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Dude. DUDE. Trent Reznor is a GENIUS. Always and forever.

Elly
05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
i absolutely love this album, it has reaffirmed that Reznor isn't done yet and there's more he can do to entertain me... Ghosts was an awesome album to just chillax to, though a couple tracks did remind me of Throbbing Gristle (the band that started Industrial Music, coined the Term "industrial" for their new music style, and started the first Industrial record company called "Industrial Records") so he definatealy has not lost the industrial edge... i love this album partly because the best parts of any of his albums was not the singles for me, but rather the little instrumentals he put on almost every album, so this is like an album of just the best parts, not saying his normal songs are not good because i love the songs on his other albums too, yes even With_Teeth & Year Zero, Trent has never dissapointed me, i love when an artist isn't affraid to change and mature with their audience, i never could understand those that wanna listen to the same albums they were listening to 10-20 years ago lamenting the loss of their childhood...

Relapse
05-03-2008, 09:12 AM
just listened to it. its AWESOME. what's so bad about it? listen to 13, it's beautiful. or 28. or 21. they are my faves for now.