PDA

View Full Version : <3 Music

Tama2
04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I love music. I love all kinds of music. I can talk about music all day. It effect my mood dramatically, and basically controls my life.

Just wondering if any of you have a uncanny passion for music. What genres do you love, hate, or just don't even care about?

Also a musician. Anybody else?

Breine
04-20-2008, 01:35 PM
I can't put into words how much I love music. It's a huge part of my life, it's one of my hobbies (although I'm not a musician) and as I said I just overall love it. I can't imagine my life without it.

scrumpleberry
04-20-2008, 02:02 PM
I love music, it's fabby. It affects me much more than any other form of media. I used to play the guitar for a bit.

Ryth
04-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Music is seriously the only thing that interests me in life.

Tallulah
04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Yes. Often I will listen to the radio/iPod (more the latter lately) rather than watch the television.

Although I'm not musical, I'd love to learn to play the guitar. Once I get all this stuff out of the way, I will maybe get one. :)

Mirage
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
I can hardly go anywhere without a music player of some sort, and I put on music for all tasks that do not require my auditive attention.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
04-20-2008, 08:11 PM
I think music is the only thing that hasn't disappointed me as much as anything else in life. It's a huge part of my life. My iPod is like my child. xD

I don't have hate for any genre necessarily, maybe just dislike. I mostly listen to Rock/Metal/Punk. I dislike most rap. I will listen to serious rap like Nas and Tupac. I just really dislike when some rappers rap about things like money, bitches, and hos; I don't think all rap should be like that at all. But I can't control that, so I just don't listen to it.

Aerith's Knight
04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I play the piano, and its like sigarettes for me. I like any sort of piano music, because unlike most pop music, your whole soul gets put into playng it.. plus, playing the songs you like is just awsome.

Roto13
04-20-2008, 08:25 PM
These days, with music so easy to come by, everyone thinks they're the kind of "music person" that would have owned a zillion records in the 70s. You ask them what kind of music they like and they say "All kinds!" pause for a second and add "except metal, rap, country, and anything that isn't pop or pop rock."

Kossage
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I like music a lot, and I like to both casually listen to it as well as analyze it deeply whenever I feel like it. I don't really dislike any music genre, so I can listen all kinds of stuff from classical to heavy metal. To me there are only good songs with no boundaries as far as genres go. :)

I don't have a portable music player, though, so most of the time I listen to music at home whenever I'm doing stuff on the computer. I've been playing the piano for quite a few years now, and I've also had singing lessons as well as performed with our university's choir. :D

XxSephirothxX
04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
I am a music person who would've owned two zillion records in the seventies. I like all kinds of music, except rap and country.

Tama2
04-20-2008, 08:40 PM
So negative Roto. :[

Just glad it's not me. I'm collecting all musical things I can. I've got a couple of record players. Trying to find some more records. Categorizing all my music now. Still need an 8-Track and a 4-Track. Even got a Victrola and some old ass dusty records. I really do love music. I love playing it.

Collecting music on my laptop too. Only have 800 songs on it right now. Every genre imaginable too. Going to wait on ripping CDs until I get a 1 or 2 TB hard drive.

As of right now I only now how to play percussions (5 years), piano (2 years), and just about a year with acoustic. After I get better with acoustic I plan on the bass, then electric. Then onward to the violin and different horns.

Ryth
04-20-2008, 09:31 PM
These days, with music so easy to come by, everyone thinks they're the kind of "music person" that would have owned a zillion records in the 70s. You ask them what kind of music they like and they say "All kinds!" pause for a second and add "except metal, rap, country, and anything that isn't pop or pop rock."

Haha, I know. I run into people like this all the time. They say they like "all kinds" but then you start talking to them and the things they listen to happen to be anything except varied.

Selphie
04-20-2008, 11:33 PM
I love music. Any kind. Give me something to tap my foot to!

Serious, I can listen to anything from Polka to Death Metal.

I've been a percussionist for a good 9 years now.

Vermachtnis
04-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I listen music when I'm doing just about anything. I get uncomfortable when I'm riding in a car and they won't turn on the radio. I like just about everything, except that Gangster Rap stuff and Hip hop.

JaytodaP
04-21-2008, 08:44 AM
I need my metal to thrash my way through the first hours of school. It also gets me really pumped up to do my homework for some reason.

Polaris
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
rock/metal are my favourite I can't listen anything that is rap or pop it just doesn't fit in my ear anymore! Even if it is Utada Hikaru I can listen one song from her and still I think somethings should be better!

Shiny
04-22-2008, 02:57 AM
I love pretty much every genre of music. It annoys me when people limit themselves to one or two genres. That seems boring and close-minded. Although I'm not a musician per se I do know how to play a few instruments at an intermediate level and I occasionally sing.

BardTard
04-23-2008, 08:21 PM
I love Japanese music, techno and anything I can dance to. :D

Rantz
04-23-2008, 09:17 PM
hai guyz i am 12 yrs old and i liek music and also eminim

Selphie
04-23-2008, 11:25 PM
hai guyz i am 12 yrs old and i liek music and also eminim

orly? datz kewl yo. aYo do u listen to 50 cent 2? hez pritty gangsta.

:P

Kirobaito
04-23-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm not ashamed to say that I don't like all kinds of music, but I honestly don't know anyone else that is so in love with music as me. The way it communicates with people on a universal level absolutely astounds me, because I understand the way it's really changed my life over the last few years.

I am a musician, it's what I love to do more than anything else, and I will love the day that I can help people understand life through music more often than I can now.

It's not simply that I hate a genre because of the way that it sounds. It's that, in addition to sounds that I don't like, the lyrics also contribute nothing toward a greater understanding of human nature. If more metal songs, for example, actually contained a legitimate analysis of the human condition, and did it in such a way that actually care about communicating those points, I'd probably listen to it more often.

For those reasons, I listen to and perform folk music, because by definition it is the most natural kind of music, because it is the music that immediately stems from culture.

Tama2
04-24-2008, 01:02 AM
I love your passion, Kiro.

Balzac
04-24-2008, 02:29 AM
I have music on at all times, unless I'm watching tv.

JaytodaP
04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
My brother actually just bought a bass, but he never uses it so I just kinda stole it. I planned on teaching myself how to play using some websites, but I can't find anything good. I tuned it and I can play a little bit of tabs, but not very well. The only thing I've come close to playing okay is the main riff to Iron Man.

If I could learn anything it would have to be electric guitar, drums, or maybe even how to sing.

Just a shot in the dark, but I bet Tama2 owns a Tama drum kit.

Hazzard
04-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I listen to Rap, Hip Hop, Pop, Classical, Soft Rock, Hardcore Rap, Gangsta Rap. Just about anything, but mainly the more black musical genres. Funny enough, I hate commercial, fake rappers like 50 Cent, but I'm impressed by freaky, authentic artist's like Marilyn Manson.

Tama2
04-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but I bet Tama2 owns a Tama drum kit.

Why of course. They are my babies. Nice little 7-piece. I need to expand it though. :[

Jessweeee♪
04-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes :love:

The more I listen, the more genres grow on me. I even like a few rap songs now n.n

...but still no country for me :p

Jess
04-25-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm open-minded when it comes to music. I'll listen to pretty much anything. I'd find it so boring if I only listened to one genre and nothing else. :jess:

I can't play any instruments. I also can't sing, but that doesn't stop me from singing along to songs. xD

Markus. D
04-25-2008, 04:19 AM
I adore music.

I might love a couple of bands (fanboy kicking in... thar).

But I will always judge a song by a song instead of saying the entire band/artist/whatever sucks.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-25-2008, 06:01 AM
I try and stay open minded about music. The only genre that I really can't stand is 'gangsta' rap. The lyrics are just disgusting imho.

I have always been into rock/alternative/punk. That is really my music scene. But I love to explore other areas. I love country, but my girlfriend hates it so I don't get to listen to it much. I have been trying to explore more of hip hop and rap though.

But yeah, music is awesome. I love to just get caught up in it.

Oh, and the Beastie Boys are the best. :love:

Tama2
04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Remeber I 1st started listening to music with my dad. Garth Brooks. Then 90's Alt and 90's Rap from there. Into Heavy Metal. General Rock 'n Roll. Classical. Punk. And all those betweeners in there and a lot of other genres I don't feel like listing. Those were just the biggest ones in my life. But, I still love listening to it all and how it develops.

Montoya
04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I actually wasn't a fan of music for a huge portion of my life, it wasn't until I started playing Tony Hawk 2 did I actually start liking music. I fell in love with the soundtrack, most notably the rock songs. I mean, I had listened TRL when I was eight and liking the alternative music, I remember falling in love the the Rammstein song "Du Hast" back when it barely came out. But it wasn't until I had barely turned thirteen that I started to love rock music. Two years later, a friend introduces me to a metal band and I became a huge metal fan. I listened to a lot of black/gothic metal and would not consider listening to anything else.
Now, after never truly achieving uber metal head status, I listen to other genres. Some rock, some techno, some Cypress Hill, even some Mexican music on the radio. :p
But still metal is my favorite genre.

Spuuky
04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
It's not simply that I hate a genre because of the way that it sounds. It's that, in addition to sounds that I don't like, the lyrics also contribute nothing toward a greater understanding of human nature. If more metal songs, for example, actually contained a legitimate analysis of the human condition, and did it in such a way that actually care about communicating those points, I'd probably listen to it more often.Metal songs an expression of the human condition, not an analysis of it. If I break my arm, it is a legitimate response to yell "ow" and something which does in fact warrant communication to other people. It isn't an analysis of how to get the issue fixed, but it doesn't have to be. There is time for that later, from other sources that can interpret the symptoms and treat it accordingly. Someone who tries to alter the human experience through music is more like a doctor than a normal person, who would experience and express their reality, but lack the necessarily knowledge (or intellect) to do something about it.

That being said, I hate lots of music because it doesn't sound good at all. Aesthetics is all that matters to me in music, just like it is essentially all that matters to me in art.

Chzn8r
06-17-2008, 09:17 PM
I can't put into words how much I love music. It's a huge part of my life, it's one of my hobbies (although I'm not a musician) and as I said I just overall love it. I can't imagine my life without it.

Haha, this, basically. Although I'm an aspiring vocalist, I don't think I'm very good and wouldn't fit into the whole realm of classical/operatic training (which is the only kind I can get around here).

On the current topic: Agreed with Spuuky.

Also, if one doesn't believe their is music out there in the realm of metal which truly searches for greater understanding, an expansion of the mind, or calls into question something about this existence... well, one has yet to listen to Kayo Dot, among other bands.

snacks
06-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I use to be pretty strict about what genre I wanted to listen to, and it was usually pretty crappy. But these days my spectrum goes from stuff like comedy (Tim and Eric) to "hardcore/metalcore" (The Chariot) and then back to like Alicia Keys. I like keeping an open mind.

Music is a very big part of my life, and I entertained thoughts of forming a band, but I'm pretty stage shy :(

Chzn8r
06-17-2008, 09:50 PM
If you're into metalcore, you absolutely *must* listen to Protest the Hero. Check out Kezia (2005) and thank me later.

Ryth
06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
If you're into metalcore, you absolutely *must* listen to Protest the Hero. Check out Kezia (2005) and thank me later.

Typical 5/8er. :p

blim
06-20-2008, 12:59 PM
I love music. The only genres i tend to avoid are pop and rap. (Pop to me is advertising not music). I have a massive stack of vinyl which includes punk, metal, folk, funk, dub, reggae, classical, psychedelic, rock, ambient and traditional music from india, china, egypt, iraq, russia, bulgaria, turkey, greece and Morrocco amongst many other styles and the various sub-genres of the above. One of the first questions i ask upon meeting someone from a different culture is to recommend some music from that culture to expand my horizons.

I play Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Irish Bouzouki, Mandolin, Violin, Ocarina, Clarinet, Didgeridoo and Appalachian Dulcimer (to varying standards). I play regularly in an Irish folk band and a punk band although im trying to get a motown band together.

Music is essential to me, it wakes me up in the morning, gets me through my chores, relaxes me, gets me pumped up to go out and chills me out when i get home. whatever i am doing i tend to have an instrument either in my hands or within easy reach (i take my harmonica to work for tea breaks).

Caraliz
06-21-2008, 09:49 PM
This.

The only genre I really can't stand is country.

JackNapier
06-22-2008, 02:27 AM
I love many kinds of music, my favorite genres being progressive metal/rock and video game music. I play keyboard/piano, bass, and guitar. I'd love to get a band together, but my town is pretty small and fellow musicians are hard to come by unfortunately. :(

The Unknown Guru
06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeh, I like music. I play drums, am in a band, and whatnot.

Basically, I like everything but modern rap (anything before 1990 is fine) and most modern "country" (Johnny Cash == AWESOME).

My top 5 bands:

The Replacements
Wilco
Dire Straits
Death Cab for Cutie
Steely Dan

Moon Rabbits
06-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I love music. I agree with Mirage, in that I must have SOME form of music when I'm doing anything that doesn't require me to listen. I'm listening to the Weepies' new album as I type this.

I am inclined to be the same as everyone else and say that I like all kinds of music, including rap and country :p I sometimes get weird looks when I tell people that "my favourite artist is Kate Bush, my favourite band is Blonde Redhead, and my favourite rapper is Lupe Fiasco, although my favourite folk duet is the Weepies, and ... ", and then they ask me to stop naming every band I listen to.

I can't choose one :(

BardTard
06-28-2008, 06:03 AM
Music is the best thing EVER. I'm extremely greedy when it comes to music. I want every song (that I like) ever made. I listen mostly to techno/dance music, rock, J-pop, J-rock, video game music and some pop. I hate rap, hip hop and R&B though.

My boyfriend and I are kinda in a band. We don't have any songs recorded yet but I write lyrics and we makes music. :)