PDA

View Full Version : anyone good with computers? I need my display fixed :[

Markus. D
04-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Well, just tell me what I need to say... but ever since I've gotten this PC I've noticed images/videos/3d-images/texturesetc are more pixely than on my last PC. (runs smoother framerate wise in most cases)

The screen is 22-inch wide-screen resoultion set to 1680 by 1050 (It says it's the native >_>... seems to change though?).

Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz 2.66GHz

Memory (RAM) 2047 MB

System Type 32-bit operating system.

DirectX 10.0

Adapter Type is NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT.

I want it fixed so I can play non-GW games with smooth-ness (GW of which looks spectacular! BUT COULD TOTALLY LOOK MORE SPECTACULAR :DDD).

halp :(

edit: Monitor is BenQ FP222W (I can set it to both digital and analog... which one?)

rubah
04-21-2008, 01:50 AM
is it set to digital or analog right now?

Mirage
04-21-2008, 01:51 AM
What is your operating system. Also, have you checked the nVidia control panel?

Aerith's Knight
04-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Is your video card driver(software) up to date?

Markus. D
04-21-2008, 03:25 AM
is it set to digital or analog right now?

digital... it was Analog yesterday.

@Mirage... Vista? and yes... I can't seem to find the optimisation wizard.

@Aerith yes, each time I update it says it's at the most up to date version.

Aerith's Knight
04-21-2008, 03:34 AM
you can get into the nvidia panel fairly easy by going to the destkop, right click properties, then settings/advanced and going to nvidia.. from there you should be able to adjust the quality.. also normal nvidia cards have an icon next to msn and such that lets you adjust it..

furthermore, check it with a different monitor.. what is the contrast ratio of the monitor?.. if you have something like 800:1 i can understand that its crappy.

Markus. D
04-21-2008, 04:20 AM
How does one check the contrast ratio?

rubah
04-21-2008, 04:23 AM
it should be in the materials (ie the box) that you recieved the stuff in.

Do you notice a difference between digital and analog modes?

Aerith's Knight
04-21-2008, 04:35 AM
Ive checked it for you..

Image Contrast Ratio 700:1

that isnt very good.. your black would show up as a grey blob..

but it doesnt explain that you can see the pixels.. with a VGA cable it could be expected with the setting wrongly adjusted, as VGA only gives you a signal with so many lines

but with DVI it shouldnt really be a factor..

Id have to say that either your previous screen was a CRT(which cant be measured against TFT, as it is just better) or you had a smaller screen..

Then of course the quality would be worse.. what did you expect?

Markus. D
04-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Ive checked it for you..

Image Contrast Ratio 700:1

that isnt very good.. your black would show up as a grey blob..

but it doesnt explain that you can see the pixels.. with a VGA cable it could be expected with the setting wrongly adjusted, as VGA only gives you a signal with so many lines

but with DVI it shouldnt really be a factor..

Id have to say that either your previous screen was a CRT(which cant be measured against TFT, as it is just better) or you had a smaller screen..

Then of course the quality would be worse.. what did you expect?

Yah it's Dualview DVI/D-Sub input.

x-x;

I didn't expect the quality to change no.

3:

Also, I did not notice a difference when changing modes >_<!

Me meets technology ;3

Aerith's Knight
04-21-2008, 05:13 AM
lol yeah, the larger you take the screen, the more lines have to be spread out, no? The quality can remain the same.. but not for that price ;)

For gaming id suggest to take a 20" screen.. and just place the screen a little closer to your face so it still seems like a 22" xD

Markus. D
04-21-2008, 06:59 AM
xD thanks!

Maybe I'll just get a new PC alltogether :3

o_O
04-21-2008, 08:48 AM
The contrast ratio won't have any effect on the pixellation of the image.

You should do two things. First, download the lastest drivers for your card (even if the updater says you're up to date) from <a href="http://www.nvidia.com">nVidia</a>. I believe they have a unified driver architecture for cards above GeForce4, which means the same driver should drive all recent cards. The other thing to do is to bump up the resolution in the game. Start the game up and from somewhere in the video options you'll be able to display the game at a higher res.

Rostum
04-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Also make sure you are playing the game in the monitor's native resolution (cheap 22" BenQ is probably 1600x1050).

Edit: And I mean in the game settings as well as your nVidia control panel settings.

Markus. D
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I mean, all images, everywhere (Icons, anywhere out of gaming)

Grainy.

Is there any way to hax my PC to get a bizarre res, and use Nvidia scaling to scale it down... would it look better? (I don't care if icons are small 'n' such).

edit: I've been googling, and apparently it might be my NVIDIA underscannifying my HDTV (if that's even on or whatever) if that's the case well I'm even more lost now xDD.