PDA

View Full Version : Metal Thrashing Mad

JaytodaP
04-21-2008, 08:36 AM
So you metalheads here, what's your favorite metal band?

My favorite has to be Metallica, since thrash just makes me go absolutely nuts with my air guitar. I've also been getting into Iron Maiden and im actually going to see them june 20th.

Polaris
04-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Well I've heard Metallica so far but I guess Dream Theater is way better. :) I've heard two of their cds I have 'Systematic Chaos' and I've heard over and over again 'Scenes from a Memory' ^^ My bf asked if he'd go to Rock in Rio if I'd go as well to watch Metallica I still don't know but I'd like to ^^

NeoCracker
04-21-2008, 11:06 AM
As far as Metal Goes, the only kind I tend to listen to Is Power, and a few others here and there.

HAven't listened to Dream Theater yet though, need to get around to it.

Right now my favorite Power Metal Band would be Kamelot.

Ghost Opera FTW!

o_O
04-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Dream Theater are amazingly awesome, and probably deserve the top spot of my all-time favourite band. I had my drumsticks signed by <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwySEGSzwcg&feature=related">Mike Portnoy</a> (their drummer). :p
My favourite album from them is Scenes From a Memory, with Images and Words a close second. Octavarium and Systematic Chaos have a very different sound in comparison to their earlier work.

Though my favourite metal band right now is Sonata Arctica, Wintersun and As I Lay Dying come very close.

JaytodaP
04-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm a lot more into thrash than most other kinds. I like Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax also. Im also getting into Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath.

Captain Maxx Power
04-21-2008, 04:37 PM
While not really thrash I'm a huge fan of Machine Head and Pantera. I'm also down with Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax.

DK
04-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Maiden probably take it overall for me, but I'm mostly into Black and Folk Metal. Enslaved, Moonsorrow, Ulver, Wintersun, Orphaned Land etc.

Couple of Tech Death/Melodic Death like Lykathea Aflame and Opeth are ones I'm into as well.

And then weird Doom Metal/Stoner Jam mashups like Boris and Orange Goblin. Sigh are also awesome, but they're more Avant Garde Black Metal than anything else.

Also quite like Nile, which is pretty strange 'cause other than that I don't really like Brutal Death Metal at all, but Nile are awesome.

Ayreon are more Opera concept rock than Metal, but they definitely have Metal roots and they kick ass so yeah.

Also, Alcest is fantastic, but it's like Post Black Metal, it's really weird. Hardly metal at all most of the time but you can definitely hear the influences of it.

Tama2
04-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Priest or Pantera. It changes with my mood.

Boney King
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Blink 182 and Cannibal Corpse are my favourite metal bands.

Ramza Beoulve
04-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Megadeth and Apocalyptica mostly, but I like a lot more of metal bands.

Momiji
04-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Blink 182 and Cannibal Corpse are my favourite metal bands.

Please tell me you're joking. Blink-182 is not a metal band, in the very least.

As for me, I don't listen to metal anymore, but my favorite band back when I liked it was Between the Buried and Me, a progressive metal band, or Atreyu, a metalcore band. I don't care for either anymore.

Montoya
04-23-2008, 06:30 AM
I went to see Nile down in LA a month ago. :love:

I don't really have a favorite metal band anymore. It used to be Cradle of Filth, but I can't make up my mind anymore. Moonspell is awesome, Wintersun has probably one the best albums to come out in a while, my current favorite is Samael. There is so much to choose from.

Blink 182 is sooo a metal band. :rolleyes2

Balzac
04-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Dream Theater are amazingly awesome, and probably deserve the top spot of my all-time favourite band. I had my drumsticks signed by <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwySEGSzwcg&feature=related">Mike Portnoy</a> (their drummer). :p
My favourite album from them is Scenes From a Memory, with Images and Words a close second. Octavarium and Systematic Chaos have a very different sound in comparison to their earlier work.

Though my favourite metal band right now is Sonata Arctica, Wintersun and As I Lay Dying come very close.

Haha, I remeber sending you your first Sonata Arctica song. :D

Sonanta Arctica are easily my favourite power metal band.

Ryth
04-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Burzum is the best thing in metal, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is one of the most powerfully hateful albums ever made.

Not too crazy about thrash, seen it more as a genre that broke off into different, superior stems (death & black, mainly). Master Of Puppets gets more credit than it'll ever deserve though. Kreator kicks GIANT amounts of ass, Pleasure To Kill is the best thrash album ever.

I've always liked th general idea of power metal, though the genre is so painfully formulaic now its currently one of the worst things in metal (DragonForce >.>). Kamelot is sexy though, Epica is a classic even if Ghost Opera was backwards rinky-dink crap. Dream Theater are also terribly overrated, though Awake is definitely a masterpiece in prog metal.

I really don't like hearing Alcest referred to as "post-black metal" because it really doesn't apply too much. It just happened to be a black metal band once upon a time. I see what people are saying though, I guess, the song "Printemps Emeraude" definitely has those black metal inspired lo-fi tremolo riffs, and has a lot of post-rock build-ups/downs, but I never liked hearing it called "black." I'd say its a shoegaze project, simple.

I pretty much like all forms of metal in someway, the only exception is nu-metal and I don't like most metalcore (but BTBAM <3). I'm also a huge friggin' drone dork. Boris and Earth are my homies. As are Sunn O))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))).

P.S. Lol Cannibal Corpse and Cradle Of Filth.

Boney King
04-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Boris are great because they do lots of different stuff. I like them a lot.

And btw, obv Blink 182 aren't metal, and I don't even listen to Cannibal Corpse. Truthfully I don't listen to very much metal, but I do love Between The Buried And Me and Tool (debatable).

Nominus Experse
04-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Dimmu Borgir and Arch Enemy are two of my favourites at the moment.

snacks
04-24-2008, 05:11 AM
BTBAM and The Chariot, Horse the band (I guess not really "metal" though) and....that's it.

Breine
04-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I do like some Metal, but I haven't really gotten into the genre that much yet. One of my friends is even trying to convert me by e.g. lending me a documentary about Metal ("A Headbanger's Journey"), and talking to me about bands she likes. She's very much into the genre, and everytime she talks about it, it makes me more interested about getting more into it myself. I even considered going to Wacken with her (a big Metal festival in Germany, and Iron Maiden will play there this year!), but never really got around to it. I settle for watching some Metal bands live each year at the Roskilde Festival, e.g. last year I saw In Flames and Zyklon, which was fine. This year Slayer and Judas Priest among others are performing there, so maybe I'll check them out.

charliepanayi
04-24-2008, 08:16 PM
I like Boris too, I have Pink and Smile by them and both are pretty good.

Ryth
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
I do like some Metal, but I haven't really gotten into the genre that much yet. One of my friends is even trying to convert me by e.g. lending me a documentary about Metal ("A Headbanger's Journey"), and talking to me about bands she likes. She's very much into the genre, and everytime she talks about it, it makes me more interested about getting more into it myself. I even considered going to Wacken with her (a big Metal festival in Germany, and Iron Maiden will play there this year!), but never really got around to it. I settle for watching some Metal bands live each year at the Roskilde Festival, e.g. last year I saw In Flames and Zyklon, which was fine. This year Slayer and Judas Priest among others are performing there, so maybe I'll check them out.

Well, you like post-rock right? Maybe you should try some of the post-metal bands out there. Pelican, Isis, Rosetta, Russian Circles, Red Sparrowes, Battle Of Mice, and maybe Neurosis and Mouth Of The Architect.

I could see you liking mauldin Of The Well and Kayo Dot as well. Though I guess this is a hunch.

Nominus Experse
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I second Ryth's suggestions of Isis and Russian Circles

Ryth
04-24-2008, 10:30 PM
I like Boris too, I have Pink and Smile by them and both are pretty good.

Those two are definitely the best starting places for the band. From there I suggest grabbing Heavy Rocks and Akuma No Uta, maybe even Amplifier Worship.

Boney King
04-24-2008, 10:30 PM
I saw Russian Circles live with Fear Before The March Of Flames a while back, and I will further recommend them. New album hits on my birthday!

Momiji
04-25-2008, 01:11 AM
And btw, obv Blink 182 aren't metal, and I don't even listen to Cannibal Corpse.

Then why did you mention them in your previous post?

Roto13
04-25-2008, 01:28 AM
This thread needs more Rammstein.

NeoCracker
04-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Rammstein sucks.

Roto13
04-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Cat girls suck.

Ryth
04-25-2008, 01:43 AM
But Rammstein sucks more.

Roto13
04-25-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm going to get Psy to ban you.

DK
04-25-2008, 02:08 AM

He's too busy laughing at your claim of Brawl being the best multiplayer game of this generation to do any work :monster:

NeoCracker
04-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Cat girls suck.

And thats why I like the. :p

He's too busy laughing at your claim of Brawl being the best multiplayer game of this generation to do any work :monster:

In Roto's defense, he is right.

Psychotic
04-25-2008, 02:27 AM
- Rammstein are great.
- Cat girls suck.
- Brawl is overrated.
- I hate NeoCracker.

I think I covered everything.

DK
04-25-2008, 02:48 AM
It's debatable that Brawl is even the best multi on the Wii, let alone of the generation. But this thread isn't the place for that debate so if you really want to get into it, make a thread in gen gaming

Roto13
04-25-2008, 04:08 AM
Go back to your Halo, you Xbots.

God, you're so American. :P

Momiji
04-25-2008, 04:18 AM
Go back to your Halo, you Xbots.

God, you're so American. :P

Halo pisses me off. :mad2:

Montoya
04-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Rammstein is awesome, though I don't think they're metal.

Relapse
04-26-2008, 05:40 AM
fav metal is Metallica FTW, esp Master of Puppets. damn that is awesome. i listen to some Rammstein and NIN too if those are considered metal.

JaytodaP
04-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Some albums I'd Reccomend to people are:

Kill 'em All
Rust in Peace
Among the Living
South of Heaven
Number of the Beast
Paranoid
Screaming for Vengeance

as for Brawl being the best multiplayer game, Sure it would be fun....

IF I COULD ACTUALLY FIND A MATCH AND HAVE IT NOT LAG.

o_O
04-26-2008, 08:02 AM
I'd call Rammstein industrial metal. They are good too - their best album is easily Mutter.

In Flames are also one of my favourite metal bands. Come Clarity and Reroute to Remain are amazing.

Breine
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM

Well, you like post-rock right? Maybe you should try some of the post-metal bands out there. Pelican, Isis, Rosetta, Russian Circles, Red Sparrowes, Battle Of Mice, and maybe Neurosis and Mouth Of The Architect.

I could see you liking mauldin Of The Well and Kayo Dot as well. Though I guess this is a hunch.

Actually, I guess I'm more of an indie/alternative kind of guy, but post-rock is definitely good too, and so I checked out some of the bands you listed. Pelican, Isis and Kayo Dot were actually good, but I haven't heard that much of them yet apart from a couple of songs from each.. and I still need to listen to some of the others.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the suggestions :)

EDIT: and also, Rammstein is a pretty good band.

Montoya
04-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Anorexia Nervosa! :excited:

Absconditus_Oraculum
04-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Lot of bands I like so I've got more then a few favorites.

On the very top:

Kalmah
Disarmonia Mundi
Sevendust
Slowmotion Apocalypse
Satariel
Arch Enemy
Opeth

Still on top but just under the rest:

Animosity
Demiricous
Killswitch Engage
Slayer
Trivium
Solitude Aeturnus

Sure I'm forgetting some but oh well..

Ryth
04-26-2008, 11:16 PM

Actually, I guess I'm more of an indie/alternative kind of guy, but post-rock is definitely good too, and so I checked out some of the bands you listed. Pelican, Isis and Kayo Dot were actually good, but I haven't heard that much of them yet apart from a couple of songs from each.. and I still need to listen to some of the others.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the suggestions :)

EDIT: and also, Rammstein is a pretty good band.

Glad to hear you liked them. You'll definitely dig maudlin of the Well if you like Kayo Dot and Isis and Pelican are fantastic ways to transition into Neurosis.

I also recommend The Fucking Champs, fully instrumental tech-metal with lots of 'mathy' and jazzy elements. They're actually pretty popular within the indie crowds.

I'solé
04-26-2008, 11:31 PM
fav metal is Metallica FTW, esp Master of Puppets. damn that is awesome. i listen to some Rammstein and NIN too if those are considered metal.

NIN is NOT metal.

Other opinions:

Xbox is overrated, and so is Gaylo (oops, Halo) ;x
Paranoid is a good album.
Rammstein is good, but i don't consider them metal.

OT: And yes, I'm a bitch. Go figure.

Old Manus
04-26-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm pretty sure all you guys just got told

Ryth
04-27-2008, 01:16 AM

NIN is NOT metal.

Other opinions:

Xbox is overrated, and so is Gaylo (oops, Halo) ;x
Paranoid is a good album.
Rammstein is good, but i don't consider them metal.

OT: And yes, I'm a bitch. Go figure.

I would say Rammstein fall under "industrial metal" (but it doesn't matter, since they're boring) but you're dead on about NIN and Xbox/Gaylo.