PDA

View Full Version : Help me find this story?

rubah
04-22-2008, 02:18 AM
A long time ago, little rubah was in the fourth grade, and she was given a fifth grade reader to read for fun. There was a neat exerpt from a story in there and it was about people who went to another planet in a spaceship because they couldn't live on earth any more. The story had grass so sharp it cut your feet if you walked on it with no shoes on, and it might've been orange as well, I'm not sure. I really don't remember anything else, but does anyone remember the premise of such a short story or novel? xD

Nominus Experse
04-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Did it also have mushrooms or other such thing in it?

If it did, then I might be able to figure out which book it was.

Raistlin
04-22-2008, 03:32 AM
zomg, I remember that story! I had to read it for fourth grade, I think! I must try to find it now.

rubah
04-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I'll expect the results in by friday, raistlin.

Nominus, no I don't remember anything about 'shrooms, sorry.

Roogle
04-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry, rubah. I cannot remember the story in your opening post.

Can someone help me find a story about a bunch of insects that tried to climb a high tower and one of the insects, a caterpillar, turned into a butterfly and simply flew to the top?

Germ Hamee
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Do you remember if it was a book from a series? Was it YA or a children's novel? The only thing that I'm thinking of is the Remnants series by K.A. Applegate. I don't remember if they had razor sharp grass or not, but the series was about a bunch of people launched into space due to the earth being destroyed. They end up on a variety of different planets, most of them fucked up in one way or another.

Raistlin
04-23-2008, 02:21 AM
I did an Amazon search, and that doesn't look like it. I don't remember it being part of a series. I read it in fourth grade, so it was probably considered Young Adult.

Kes
04-23-2008, 02:28 AM
No way would Applegate's stuff ever end up in a book of excerpts for educational reasons. If you could remember the title of the book / whoever made it you may be able to come up with a list of stories or such by using the interwebs.

I can't think of anything that would fit that reading level and didn't come out in the past two or three years.

Raistlin
04-23-2008, 03:02 AM
I FOUND IT!!! (http://www.allreaders.com/topics/info_29145.asp)

rubah
04-23-2008, 06:24 AM
Huh. I didn't actually read the entire thing, so that summary doesn't ring any bells, I wonder if I can find a copy somewhere. . .

Ooh, my library has it. Looks like its' time to take up where I left off 9 years ago. . .

Raistlin
04-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I was a little hesitant at first, but I'm 90% sure that's it.

rubah
04-26-2008, 04:00 AM
it is :D

I read it on the drive home today (only 71 pages) and I was convinced when I read the line "light of a new sun" (paraphrased because it's in the car atm xD). that line I recall.