PDA

View Full Version : New To This One

bdon333
04-22-2008, 05:46 AM
hey guys...this is actually the only ff ive nvr played ..but i just won a gba copy on ebay for 9.00...real excited to play it...anyways...what are some major things to look out for in the game so i dont miss or mess up nething..and also...whats the system in this game? (junctioning, materia, sphere grid)

^^i know its not the 3 in the parentheses ..just giving examples

Zechs
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Just make sure to wander everywhere you can. talk to a majority of folk. You don't want to miss any of the extra characters (or first necessary...), and the system is 'Esper'.

Bahamut2000X
04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
You don't get to use the system of the game till a few hours in when you get your first pieces of magicite, but basically the system works like this, you get these little rocks called magicite which are the condensed versions of magical beings, Espers, you equip one to a character and then you can summon that Esper once in a fight, but notably as you win fights you get AP (or something similar I forget the name at the moment) which goes into teaching your character spells associated with that Esper.

For example Bismarck teaches you Bolt, Fire, and Ice at a rate of X20, meaning for every AP you get, you have learned 20% of those spells. When you hit 100% your character knows the spell and can cast it.

Also some Espers give you stat bonuses on level up if you equip them. So a lot of people use that when they level characters to try and max out their stats as much as they can.

Hopefully that all made sense.

KoShiatar
04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I suggest that you check this playthrough (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-archive/76549-tell-me-how-play.html).

Roto13
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
The only thing that's horribly important that you remember is when you're on the floating continent. Go up to the edge twice and choose not to leave, then wait for the timer to run out.

Flying Mullet
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
KoShiatar knows the score. :thumb:

This game is very open-ended for the second half of the game so you don't have to worry so much about missing things. And if you do miss something, no worries. You'll just have to play it again, which is always worth it. :D

blackmage_nuke
04-23-2008, 06:34 AM
The time is 6:10:50 ;)

bdon333
04-23-2008, 08:42 AM
wow..thanx for the info all of u...if anyone else knows of anything...please reply...as i will be checking this thread everyday up until my copy of ff6 comes in the mail...lol:D

Wolf Kanno
04-23-2008, 06:11 PM
VI features the largest cast of playable characters in an FF. They are all really good and most of them are broken. I recommend switching out and trying new party combinations. Don't neglect too many characters as the game has dungeons that require you to use most of the cast.

Relics are another system in the game. They are basically accessaries that add additional bonuses but many can dramatically change a characters ply style or grant new abilities (Example: Dragoon Boots change the Fight command to Jump, and the Genji Gloves grant the ability to Dual Wield). Their pretty limited in the beginning but after awhile you can really start customizing your party.

Roogle
04-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I agree. I think that it is important to utilize all of the characters at some point or another because there are a handful of dungeons where the characters split up into several teams, so you will be caught off guard if you have neglected some of your characters.

Siegfried
04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Gau is not worth the trouble... Trust me
Utilize Locke's speed...
Pay attention to what esper you have equiped and the corresponding bonuses...

Bahamut2000X
04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Get Gau Stray Cat before you leave the Veldt and he's a god. Cat Scratch is an awesome skill that does more damage then anything else at that level. Though the names are more then likely different in the Advanced version.

NeoCracker
04-24-2008, 12:44 AM
I suggest keeping your levels as low as possible until you beat the Magitech facility.

That way you can take full advantage of the espers level up bonus's.

bdon333
04-24-2008, 02:04 AM
I suggest keeping your levels as low as possible until you beat the Magitech facility.

is this really true and helpful?...and at what points in the story do i need to watch for ..so i dont miss extra characters

Roto13
04-24-2008, 03:22 AM
Don't bother. That's really not necessary.

See, at that point, you get Magicite, and Magicite makes stronger when you level up, so the more levels you gain holding Magicite, the stronger you'll get.

However, the eariest espers you get don't really do very much, and it's not like there's a noticeable difference by the end of the game if you suppress your level until you get Magicite.

So yeah. Don't worry about that. :P

Bahamut2000X
04-24-2008, 03:27 AM
W-Magic Ultima and Offering + Genji Glove and Atma Weapon + Ragnarok still hurt regardless of stat boosting or not. :)

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2008, 05:08 AM

is this really true and helpful?...and at what points in the story do i need to watch for ..so i dont miss extra characters

The main storyline is straight forward. So don't worry about missing characters. Except for Mog... Just make sure that when you get the Airship you revisit a few old places... The second half of the game is tricky due to it being open ended. Just explore and have fun.;)

Roto13
04-24-2008, 03:42 PM
The only character you can permanently lose is Shadow. Do what I said on the floating continent to keep him. :P

Bahamut2000X
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
You can lose Mog too, but you'd have to be a fool to pick a hairpin over Mog.

Flying Mullet
04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
You say that now but what if you're having a bad hair day?

blackmage_nuke
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM

Mog is a professional stylist

Roto13
04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
You can lose Mog too, but you'd have to be a fool to pick a hairpin over Mog.

Oh right. :P

Well, common sense would lead you to not kill Mog. Shadow's the only one that can be tricky to save. xP

Crossblades
04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
VI features the largest cast of playable characters in an FF. They are all really good and most of them are broken. I recommend switching out and trying new party combinations. Don't neglect too many characters as the game has dungeons that require you to use most of the cast.

Agreed. Try to keep everyone's levels somewhat the same and keep them upgraded with the best gear as much as possible

Avarice-ness
04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
The time is 6:10:50 ;)

*Snipes him and backs away*

He lies. :mad2:

I didn't look down, but has anyone said "I'm sorry you're starting with the GBA version" ?

Roogle
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Gau is not worth the trouble... Trust me

I can see where you are coming from, Siegfried, but I think that players should learn a handful of Rages with Gau for the multiple party dungeons.

Levian
04-24-2008, 09:12 PM

xD

and I'm so envious of people that are new to FFVI, TREASURE EVERY MOMENT OF THIS GAME, Bdon333! :cry:

Roto13
04-25-2008, 12:39 AM
This game has inspired me to start playing a rom of FF VI Advance. :P

PeneloRatsbane
04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
i've just started playing this, and i've got to a bit with a crepppy ass octopuss keeps killing banon!
hes a creep and a pain

Flying Mullet
04-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Make sure Banon is the last member in your party lineup and he's in the back row. Have him use "Health" every round and if you need to have Terra cast Cure and Sabin and Edgar use healing items.

PeneloRatsbane
04-25-2008, 02:11 PM
ahhh, good idea about putting him on the back row, thanks for the advice! :D

Yar
04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
hey guys...this is actually the only ff ive nvr played ..but i just won a gba copy on ebay for 9.00...real excited to play it...anyways...what are some major things to look out for in the game so i dont miss or mess up nething..and also...whats the system in this game? (junctioning, materia, sphere grid)

Check to be positive it isn't a counterfeit copy. Ebay is really bad about counterfeits. I'd be suspicious about that $9 price.

Besides that, just keep in mind that this game is a lot more in-depth than some may say. And always remember VI > VII.

PeneloRatsbane
04-27-2008, 11:53 AM
whats all this time stuff people keep refering to cos i don't want to miss anything
I've just found Terra in Zuzu is it? that place is a right dive!

blackmage_nuke
04-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Zuzu is it? that place is a right dive!
oh no she di'n't

Roto13
04-27-2008, 02:34 PM
*summons Avarice*

NeoCracker
04-27-2008, 03:41 PM
1) while you really don't need to, it does make a very noticeable difference end game if you wait until the Magitech facility.

2) Ignore Ava, she's just an old schooler. The new Script in the GBA version is more polished then the original, only having a couple things that aren't as good. (Son of a Submariner and the final villian speach). Overall it's superior.

3) Blitz will own your soul.

Siegfried
04-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Remember that with Edgar that his drill ignores defense, so any high defense bosses you dont seem to be damaging can be dispatched quickly with Edgar's Drill. Also, whenever you see a bear, kill it first, they are as annoying as crap.

PeneloRatsbane
04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
im now facing that bitchy octopuss again, except this time it seems to think its the phantom of the opera and is trying to knock of Celes with a weight, like wil.e coyote or something, those annoying rats keep making me run out of time to save her. (i only have Cyan and Locke with me? could i have taken more people i wasn't concentrating)

Wolf Kanno
04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
What are you levels? Waht magic spells have your characters leraned? What Swordtechs are available to Cyan?

Yes you could bring more but I usually opt to have Shadow in my party cause I love him. Unfortunately he leaves before the opera starts.

Flying Mullet
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
If you're having troubles with this part, you can always head back to Narshe and recruit another person if you need to. Or you can return to Kohlington and hire Shadow from the pub. I usually take Edgar with me as his Auto-Crossbow is great for hitting multiple rats at once.

Avarice-ness
04-28-2008, 09:01 PM
whats all this time stuff people keep refering to cos i don't want to miss anything
I've just found Terra in Zuzu is it? that place is a right dive!

*summons Avarice*

... IT'S LIKE SHE GRABBED MY HEART AND ATE IT, AND THEN VOMMITED IT BACK UP AND SHOVED IT BACK IN MY CHEST.

And yeah, WTB faster Summoning Skills for Roto. > >

And...

IT'S.... ZOZO.

1) while you really don't need to, it does make a very noticeable difference end game if you wait until the Magitech facility.

2) Ignore Ava, she's just an old schooler. The new Script in the GBA version is more polished then the original, only having a couple things that aren't as good. (Son of a Submariner and the final villian speach). Overall it's superior.

3) Blitz will own your soul.

The lack of "Son of a Submariner" fills me with infinite hate. :(

PeneloRatsbane
04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Zozo what (hahahah bad joke shame) i know i didn't read the town name v.clearly.
Yeah i got that octopus in the end, now i'm in the esper cave, missing Celes, I really wanted to go back for her, stupid locke.
I'm lovin Setzer tho

Bolivar
05-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Make sure Banon is the last member in your party lineup and he's in the back row. Have him use "Health" every round and if you need to have Terra cast Cure and Sabin and Edgar use healing items.

just wanted to say Terra should use Fire as he's weak against it and throws in some more speaking lines when you use it.

bdon333
05-01-2008, 06:39 AM
ok i just beat the octupus...now its time for scenario change...which one should i do?...is there a good order for gear or nething?...and do you end up doing all the scenarios neways?

PeneloRatsbane
05-01-2008, 12:53 PM
u do all the scenario's, i did Cyan and Sabin first which is a goodun cos theres this brill bit with a train, then Celes and Locke which is quite short if i remember then Edgar and Terra last, but u can do it any order

blackmage_nuke
05-01-2008, 01:09 PM
There are rumours that if you do the Sabin scenario last that Shadow has a better chance of staying in your party a little longer (until baron falls) where as he would leave you in the forest if you did the scenario first. But really he can leave you after any battle. But you end up doing them all anyway.

PeneloRatsbane
05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
man i'm havin trouble on that island floating around thing when Ghestral and Kefka have betrayed us, after Thasmasa (sp i know) its confusin and i keep getting got ny ninja's.
also NOOOOOO LEOOOOOOOO, i loved you so, and i was totally like u and Terra's chat, snif u'll never get to finish it now whyyy oh kefka i hate u so

Wolf Kanno
05-02-2008, 07:47 PM
man i'm havin trouble on that island floating around thing when Ghestral and Kefka have betrayed us, after Thasmasa (sp i know) its confusin and i keep getting got ny ninja's.
also NOOOOOO LEOOOOOOOO, i loved you so, and i was totally like u and Terra's chat, snif u'll never get to finish it now whyyy oh kefka i hate u so

I usually make a three man party that doesn't include Celes. If you do this, you can recruit Shadow at the beginning and in the course of events some interesting stuff happenes...

If you are having issues due to lack of abilities or what not. There is an island in the upper right hand corner. It mostly has Rabites but there is a famous rare monster on the island called Intangir... If you are playing any of the non-GBA versi0ons of this game, a simple Doom/Death spell will take him down (though he counters with Meteo). He gives you a ton of AP for killing him. The GBA version is trickier to beat cause the removed the horribly cheap Vanish/Doom trick. Course if you can beat him fairly and keep your whole party alive in the process you should be capable of taking down most enemies. Otherwise, level up in the region surrounding Strago and Relm's hometown for exp.

Roogle
05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
also

You may want to try using different styles of attacks on the Ninja. I think I used a bunch of status effect spells on him to try and slow him down because I knew I couldn't kill them quickly enough.

Flying Mullet
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Once Shadow had a few levels under his belt I found throwing elemental skeans, bolts, etc... to be lethal to just about everything on the Floating Continent. Try the Bolt Edges and Bolt 2 on the Ninjas. They're weak to lightning-based attacks.

PeneloRatsbane
05-02-2008, 11:09 PM
thanks for the tips guys, i'm really enjoying this game. the first time i tried to play it (was before i played XII and got good at playing final Fantasy) i got stuck on the first encounter with Kefka (weak i know!) and then my lil bro's friend wiped my memo card (Including my VII up to the north cavern but not finished yet file) which was annoying

bdon333
05-03-2008, 09:10 AM
i missed genji glove from ganon and ribbon from mansioni along with other mansion items....should i restart?...cannot go back right now to get them

blackmage_nuke
05-03-2008, 11:28 AM
i missed genji glove from ganon and ribbon from mansioni along with other mansion items I assume you mean from Banon. Dont worry, you can find other Genji Gloves. You'll find more ribbons too but theyre not too useful anyway. If by mansion you mean the big house in South Figaro then dont worry, you can go back later.

PeneloRatsbane
05-10-2008, 08:34 PM
hey anyone got any tips for fighting the Atama Weapon?
he keeps getting me

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Where are you in the game and who is your party?

Roogle
05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Are you on the Floating Continent, PeneloRatsbane? You can kill Ultima Weapon easily by teaching everyone Rasp and taking its MP down to 0.

PeneloRatsbane
05-12-2008, 10:00 PM
ohh sweet, i will do.
I am on the floating continent, does he pop up again then?
thanks for the tip
X

Roogle
05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Yes, you might see a creature similar to Ultima Weapon later in the game. I think that you will be able to beat Ultima Weapon by reducing his MP down to 0 because it sounds like he keeps getting you! His most powerful attacks all consume MP, so by wearing his MP down, he will use those types of attack less while you take him out.

PeneloRatsbane
05-13-2008, 10:36 PM
yeah i got him with the rasp taking away MP move, thanks guys.
but omg the event that occured, this game is awesome its got the twists and turns that made vii so cool and i felt that were lacking in Viii, ix and X
Celes is pretty messed up lol

blackmage_nuke
05-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Did you remember to wait for shadow before jumping off the floating continent?

Zeromus_X
05-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I was going to suggest getting the Espers Zona Seeker and Golem from the Jidoor Auction house, but now that you're in the second half of the game, they'll be a bit cheaper. Zona Seeker casts Shell on the party, and Golem will absorb physical attacks for the party until his HP runs out. They're both really useful Espers and I always use their summons for the entire game, so make sure you get them.

PeneloRatsbane
05-17-2008, 11:53 PM
cool i'll go get them,
I didn't wait for shadow cos he ran off saying he wasn't worthy of us or some babble, he will be okay won't he? *sniff* i hope so
I'm just getting Cyan back now,

bdon333
05-21-2008, 05:36 PM
when do you get shadow..i saw him in the inn in south figaro...

Flying Mullet
05-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Later in the game your party will be split into three different groups, each with their own quests. In Sabin's quest(Edgar's brother), you will meet up with Shadow and you will adventure together. Also, later on, after the three groups meet back together, you will have the option to hire Shadow in Kohlington if you have three members in your party, i.e. and empty space.

bdon333
05-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Later in the game your party will be split into three different groups, each with their own quests. In Sabin's quest(Edgar's brother), you will meet up with Shadow and you will adventure together. Also, later on, after the three groups meet back together, you will have the option to hire Shadow in Kohlington if you have three members in your party, i.e. and empty space.

o ok..so make sure to leave an empty space in my party at that point?...im already at the point where the party splits up..i just did Locke's story first..im gonna do Sabin's story next for sure..thanx

Flying Mullet
05-27-2008, 05:46 PM
You don't have to leave an empty spot in your party once everyone's back together and you're heading out. It's just that you won't be able to hire Shadow should you want him. Also, his fee is 3,000 gil.

blackmage_nuke
05-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Its also irritating as he can leave your party after any random battle.

PeneloRatsbane
06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
just got Gogo, is it a girl, it looks like a girl but i can't tell lol.

Anyways anyone got any advice for facing the dragon thats sitting on the stage of the opera house.

also fighting a "wart Puck" late at night when i was sleepy made me say "OMG what are they called!!!!" silly ffvi and its writing that makes me be shocked

Flying Mullet
06-12-2008, 03:52 PM
just got Gogo, is it a girl, it looks like a girl but i can't tell lol.
It's Adlai Stevenson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adlai_Stevenson)

Anyways anyone got any advice for facing the dragon thats sitting on the stage of the opera house.
Buy everyone Gaia Gear in Thamasa. It absorbs earth attacks and when the Dirt Dragon casts Quake it will heal you. You can also cast float on your characters and the Dirt Dragon will "waste" an attack removing your float status.

Tama2
06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
You guys have inspired me to pick this game up again. It's been some years since I've last beat it.

PeneloRatsbane
06-15-2008, 12:59 PM
can anyone give me any little leads as to where Shadow and Strago are?
and also exactly where Umaro is cos i got lost and found an esper instead?! those feindish Narshe caves

bdon333
06-16-2008, 03:22 AM
seems like there is so much secret stuff in this game im goin to miss...lol

Flying Mullet
06-16-2008, 01:31 PM
can anyone give me any little leads as to where Shadow and Strago are?
and also exactly where Umaro is cos i got lost and found an esper instead?! those feindish Narshe caves
Shadow:If you waited for Shadow on the Floating Continent, i.e. walked up to the spot where you jump to the airship when you're escaping the continent and selected to wait instead of jumping and Shadow showed up when there's five seconds left, you need to find the Striker in the Cave on the Veldt. Bet the Striker at the Coliseum and you'll fight Shadow. If you win, he'll rejoin the group.
Strago:Strago is at the entrance to the Fanatics' Tower. With Relm in your party, she'll smack some sense into Strago and he'll rejoin the group.
Umaro:At the back of Narshe, defeat Tritoch. A hole will appear that you can jump into. At the back of this cave is Umaro, which you will have to defeat. Once he's defeated, he'll join your group if Mog's in your party as Mog is the only one he'll listen to and Mog bosses Umaro around.

PeneloRatsbane
06-16-2008, 07:01 PM
thanks u!!
but i didn't wait for shadow because i didn't know he was coming back, is he gone forever? ohhh noooooesssss!!! I liked him

Flying Mullet
06-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah, he's gone forever now. :cry:

FFVIFan
06-16-2008, 08:15 PM

Sometimes enemies have valuable items to steal. You MUST always train the characters with Espers. You MUST learn alll of the spells of the Espers, its more useful.