PDA

View Full Version : First Job

smittenkitten
04-23-2008, 04:23 PM
The days when you had to work in a low life job that barely paid you anything when you were young. Or maybe you your parents gave you all the money you wanted so you could laze about all day. :p Tell me what you had to do to get your pocket money, and what you had to do in your first job.

What was your first job? :mog:

snacks
04-23-2008, 04:25 PM
My first job was as a dishwasher in some seedy restaurant. I swear it was owned by some mob, anyways it's actually where I first started smoking >_>. I lasted about 3 months and then one day I wasn't on the schedule anymore, and the excuse they had was I called off too much. Which I think I called off twice the whole time I was there.

But before that what did I do for pocket money? I lived on 5 dollars a day.

Breine
04-23-2008, 04:34 PM
My first real job was at the local slaughterhouse. I had to clean (with a sort of water hose) meat carts/barrels/boxes and also some hallways with blood all over and intestines on the floor. It was pretty gory at times, but mostly okay. Also, all of the grease/fat was yukky.

Bahamut2000X
04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
My first paying job was a Dairy Queen. It was horrible, the owners were complete a-holes, and it was always busy with low class customers. On top of that I generally was given the janitor duties of the place since they thought I was stupid and a bad worker. Funny now how my next job won't stop promoting me and has given me access to the safe and everything in the store except for a key to unlock the place. :monster:

Rye
04-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, technically, my first job was a 2 day stint at Wendy's (a fast food place similar to McDonald's and Burger King) when I was 15, in which I fled in tears because it was such a horrible job, the customers were mean, and I had no friends there because I was the only person who couldn't speak Spanish. I don't put that on resumes though because how awful would that look? xD

However, I consider my first job to be at TJ Maxx, which I worked at from June (when I was 16 going on 17) of last year until about last month, so a little under a year. I didn't really love the job, to be honest, but it was relaxed in terms of dress code and allowing me to just call out sick whenever I wanted with only minor scolding, so I guess it was good for me at the time, when I was just working, without really needing the money, like I do now.

Now, I work in a little Gamestop at the local mall. I've been working there for about a month now, but I've only had 5 shifts so far since they've been really short on hours, so I'm still pretty new, but when I have nice managers on shift, it's pretty easy and very slow and relaxed because you don't get a lot of customers on Thursday or Tuesday nights. I think the most unpleasant job is having to take out the garbage to the compactor, which is in a tiny scary isolated part of the mall and I feel convinced that I'm going to get killed and thrown into the compactor every time I go into the room. xD

I don't really plan on working at Gamestop for very long though, as fun of a job it is. I've set my sights on getting a nice paying secretarial/office job over the summer before I go to my university, so I can have some serious spending money while I'm up in Rhode Island. Hopefully, the fact that I've had two serious jobs between the ages of 16-18 will help out with that.

Flying Mullet
04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
My first job was working at a mom and pop video store, which was pretty cool actually. I worked there in high school with one of my best friends and a few college students. We'd watch movies and play video games when there weren't any customers and the owner didn't take crap from anyone so if a customer started bitching about something and asked to see the manager we'd go get him and everyone would come to watch the fireworks show.

Parker
04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I made Christmas decorations (tinsel to be precise) in a factory.

I hoped it would feel like Christmas everyday, but it didn't. The cook there made awesome bacon and sausage sandwiches though.

Heath
04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
First job I had was working for the British Red Cross in one of their charity shops which I did on-off for 18 months. Initially volunteered there as part of the extra-curricular stuff required on my course but continued to help out there even when I'd done 20 hours I was allowed. As for my first paid job, that was an administrator job with a spare parts and appliance Internet business. Worked there for about 6 months before moving where I am now.

Roto13
04-23-2008, 05:16 PM
My first job was as a movie extra. Aliens vs. Vikings. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/) I was a viking. :P

Bahamut2000X
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
That is the best movie idea ever.

Araciel
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I worked as a kitchen helper at a sports camp.

smittenkitten
04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
My first job was as a movie extra. Aliens vs. Vikings. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/)I was a viking. :P
I'm a viking, can I be in Aliens vs. Vikings II? :D

rubah
04-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Whatta-burger! (not the orange one, the one and only Feltner's Whatta-burger)

I stood behind a counter for six hours taking orders for food and drinks and making drinks and shakes. My arms were tasty when I got off work.

They were pretty stingy so I started off making more than a lot of people who had been working there made (because they didn't give out raises much)

Jess
04-23-2008, 05:58 PM
My first part time job was in a pub preparing food for their afternoon buffet on Saturday and Sunday mornings when I was 13 or 14. We'd be given a huge list of things to prepare and would spend around 5 hours doing so. I got paid next to nothing, so I didn't stay for long.

My first full-time job was as a temp as a Data Entry Clerk but I soon moved to a full-time job as a CSA for Marsh, O2 Insure. :jess:

I'm now a casual working bar-maid because I'm a full-time student. I work whenever the pub needs me, for big events and whenever anybody calls in sick or books a holiday. I wish I had more hours, though.

Kes
04-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Babysitting.

I know most people don't count it as a job, but when it's $10 an hour in cash and very little to do (play with the kids and then read once they're in bed) it's one of the best jobs ever.

That being said, it's making finding a real job rather difficult since I have nothing on my CV.

Aerith's Knight
04-23-2008, 06:10 PM
working in a supermarket.. boring as hell, but i was good at it.

edit: part-time of course

Roogle
04-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I took great pains to avoid having to get a menial job like that. My first job was at an investment bank as an assistant, and that's as close as it gets.

Zeldy
04-23-2008, 07:32 PM
It's hard finding jobs here, as they prefer 18 year olds. I've asked in loads of places but was told I was too young, I'm nearly 16. A Chinese restaurant said they would take me, but my parents didn't let me :(

Peegee
04-23-2008, 07:39 PM
My honest to God work experience is so smurfed up.

My first job was telecommunications installer.

My second job was wendy's fries dude

My third job was underpaid 'renovator' for a pharmacy (they were renovating a new section and I built and painted the shelving)

My fourth job was telecommunications installer.

My fifth job was auditor

My sixth job was 1st level customer service representative

My current job is ID administration analyst

BardTard
04-23-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm still at my first job. It's actually not that bad, besides some customers. I work at a pizza/sandwich place called... Apollo Mart Deli / Hot Stuff Pizza / Smash Hit Subs.

I like my boss and my coworkers! :heart:
(in a nonsexual way... that would just be weird and wrong, and I have a boyfriend)

Peegee
04-23-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm still at my first job. It's actually not that bad, besides some customers. I work at a pizza/sandwich place called... Apollo Mart Deli / Hot Stuff Pizza / Smash Hit Subs.

I like my boss and my coworkers! :heart:
(in a nonsexual way... that would just be weird and wrong, and I have a boyfriend)

..but you can have more than one boyfriend!

Polaris
04-23-2008, 07:57 PM
I never have a job because I don't want to work at supermarkets, if you would like to become a teacher, working at a supermarket is not good for experience in ur curriculum. And also Portugal is not a place where you have a job when you're 16 or even 19. It's actually bad if you work because then when I'll have my first REAL job I'll have financial beneficts :D

Vermachtnis
04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Cashier at Dollar Tree. It was pretty fun, except aroun the first of the month when the rudest, meanest, dirtiest people come in.

Rye
04-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Cashier at Dollar Tree. It was pretty fun, except aroun the first of the month when the rudest, meanest, dirtiest people come in.

Oh god. Dollar Tree is like TJ Maxx, except with even more ghetto customers, if that's possible. My heart goes out to you.

EDIT: I forgot to add to that list, my tutoring job! I get paid $15 an hour to tutor, $25 dollars if I tutor for an hour and a half. I do this generally twice a week, so I make between $30 - $50 dollars from that a week, on top of my part time job.

It's my first job in the teaching field, which is cool, since I'm going to be a teacher. I'm going to be hella depressed when this summer ends, because this job has been really helpful with paying for the gas/car insurance/bill from the gym. Even going this week without tutoring (spring break) is killing me, in terms of expenses, and I've hardly even gone out this week.

KoShiatar
04-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I think my first part-time job was as a waitress in some pizza restaurant. It sucked because the owners were really really mean and I was clumsy. Waitress never worked for me. The first REAL job, however, with a contract and that lets me pay for all my things, is the one I have now. Which isn't bad as a first job after university, at that.

escobert
04-23-2008, 09:01 PM
I washed dishes at the old train station!

cloud21zidane16
04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
First paying job was a paper boy-very repetitve;)
Then worked for low pay just answering the phone at a small office.
Now im a student and work at Marks and Spencer.

Cookie
04-23-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm waiting (hoping) for some coffee shop to ring me and offer me a job there, and if they do, that'll be my first proper job.

Krelian
04-23-2008, 11:13 PM
My first job was delivering advertising leaflets for a local supermarket. It was badly paid though and kind of boring.

Selphie
04-23-2008, 11:18 PM
My first job was a Courtesy Clerk (bagger) at Albertsons.

Today: I work in Customer Service at Best Buy, probably going to be switching to digital imaging.

mooglebunni608
04-23-2008, 11:19 PM
My first job lasted a month and it was babysitting for this total BRAT of a 2-year-old once a week at $4 an hour. I was 12, and it sucked. The mom tried to cheat me out of my earnings, too! >(
I don't know if that counts as a real job though.
But it's the only one I've had so far XD

Aerith's Knight
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
I polished shoes for a quarter when i was but a little duck boy. then i went to america, to make my dreams come true.

Krelian
04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I polished shoes for a quarter when i was but a little duck boy. then i went to america, to make my dreams come true.
Do you still have your first self-earned coin which reminds you not to be fooled again in the future?

Cookie
04-23-2008, 11:55 PM
My first job lasted a month and it was babysitting for this total BRAT of a 2-year-old once a week at $4 an hour. I was 12, and it sucked. The mom tried to cheat me out of my earnings, too! >(
I don't know if that counts as a real job though.
But it's the only one I've had so far XD

Oh, if babysitting counts, then babysitting was my first job.

Shlup
04-24-2008, 01:04 AM
My first job was at Disneyland. It was awesome.

oddler
04-24-2008, 01:08 AM
I worked at a pizza place, Little Caesar's. Somedays, I got to wear the big-ass Caesar suit thing and stand on the side of the road with a sign in my hands.

Shlup
04-24-2008, 01:12 AM
You "got" to? D:

oddler
04-24-2008, 01:14 AM
When you're 16, getting paid for standing outside is the coolest thing in the world. :choc2:

Aerith's Knight
04-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Do you still have your first self-earned coin which reminds you not to be fooled again in the future?

I still have the boot imprint when the first person kicked me in the head, and i knew then i would not be fooled again :)

Balzac
04-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Back was I was a skater (board), I worked in a skate park. I basically skated all day. It was awesome.

Manny
04-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Sonic. Cheese and rice, that place sucked sometimes and sometimes not. The GM and the Ass. Manager were both badasses. But then another little manager came along and he tried to make dumb mormon rules like "no swearing" and he wouldn't hire boys from a grouphome because he was a prejudice asshole. It also sucked when Lawrence (the assistant manager) threw his keys at the distric manager and quit. It also sucked when I somehow lost eighty dollars from my money pouch.

Shoeberto
04-28-2008, 03:12 AM
My first real job was working stuffing ads into a Sunday morning newspaper. The newspaper was really awful, chock full of crap that no one really cares about (there is seriously a full two-page weekly section about FFA activities around the county). There were a lot of people that worked there that had full time jobs just to supplement their income during hard times. The staff was all really nice and they tended to be lenient about a lot of stuff, but there wasn't a lot of money coming in for me. Still, only having to work Saturdays was nice, even if it was from 6:00AM until early afternoon (latest I got out was probably 4:00 or 5:00PM... that sucked. Earliest was around 11:00AM).

Currently I do tech support work for the school. This is my last week, actually; put in my two-weeks notice last Monday. I've got another job lined up for next year, but I figured I'd stick this out until basically the week of finals. It's not bad work, really, for as flexible as it is. Definitely not a lot of money coming in, but it's money nontheless.

CloudDragon
04-28-2008, 09:56 AM
I worked as a maintenance or "piss" boy at a local swimclub. I can easily say this was the most physically demanding job I've had to date, and I got paid minimum wage ($5.15 at the time).

The tasks I was required to do included: sweeping the pool deck, scrubbing the pool deck for stains, taking out garbage, cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning the "birdcages", and any other bitch work they required us to perform!