PDA

View Full Version : World Destruction

Krelian
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Sega is working on a new DS RPG called World Destruction. The staff involved sounds really promising. Yasunori Mitsuda will be responsible for the soundtrack. Also working on the title are Masato Kato (scenario writer) and Kunihiko Tanaka (character design).

Information:
Sega destroys the world with new RPG - DS Fanboy (http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/04/23/sega-destroys-the-world-with-new-rpg/)

Screens:
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing (http://www.imagebam.com/image/b696805370745)
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing (http://www.imagebam.com/image/d0b54b5374622)
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing (http://www.imagebam.com/image/494a765374625)

I usually prefer consoles over handhelds, but this title could be interesting.

Akaria
04-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Yasunori Mitsuda is doing soundtrack?? I am SO getting that game:heart: Any info available about the storyline or anything?

Krelian
04-23-2008, 11:46 PM
There's no info on the storyline yet. We'll have to be patient and wait for more details. And yeah, Mitsuda rocks! I'm happy to see he's still doing video game soundtracks.

Akaria
04-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Bummer....I'll be following stories about that game religiously though, heh. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!:bigsmile: Wonder if anyone else has heard about this...

Krelian
04-24-2008, 08:41 AM
You're welcome!

1up (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167541) has more info available now. Unlike in many other RPGs it's not about saving the world, but to try to destroy it O.o More details in the article. :bigsmile:

Two new staff members have been revealed too: Masatoshi Azumi (who was the Grandia design director) and Shin Nagasawa (monster designer of Etrian Odyssey). I think it's impressive to see so many big names working on the title. As 1up also notes, the three people I first mentioned all worked on Xenogears too. This could become an awesome game!

Germ Hamee
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Masato Kato + Yasunori Mitsuda = Win. Always.

I'm so excited. Thanks for pointing this out.

Krelian
04-24-2008, 08:54 AM
You're welcome :D I'm glad I could excite some people. Unfortunately there's no western release confirmed yet, but I'm rather positive it'll be released here too. It has to!

Bolivar
04-24-2008, 07:07 PM
interesting, props.

Roogle
04-24-2008, 08:08 PM
This game looks promising. I know that there will be an eventual soundtrack release, and I have every intention to get it. I wonder when there will be new information on the gameplay by press release?

ljkkjlcm9
04-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Congratulations to Sega, for having all their best games come from other people working for them. Even their Sonic RPG is going to be good because it's made by someone else.

THE JACKEL

Maxico
04-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Congratulations to Sega, for having all their best games come from other people working for them. Even their Sonic RPG is going to be good because it's made by someone else.

THE JACKAL

They shut down all their decent in house production teams. The teams behind games like Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia and such we're all apparently merged back into sega. AM2, the guys behind Shenmue, Outrun, Virtua Fighter et al, are still around but don't seem to be doing anything, which is a shame because they've been sega's best developers since forever but overlooked as they mostly produce for arcades.

Basically Sega have the potential and talent, floating around the company, to make some of the best games ever, again, but the company is too screwed up to take advantage of it.

Alucard von Elru
04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
World Destruction sounds like it could be pretty awesome. Xenogears/Chrono Cross team members united with a member that worked on the original Grandia? Beyond badass.

On the topic of Sega: the only thing they've messed up really badly, to me, is Sonic. And I've never much cared for Sonic. I would think that with such awesome original, Sega-developed properties as Yakuza 1, 2, and 3, and Valkyria Chronicles (which is developed by most of the Skies of Arcadia team, apparently), Sega would have shaken off at least some of its modern negative reputation by now. o.O I think the company is doing fine and, ever since the release of the first Yakuza, has entered a lovely little "renaissance" period where they're actually doing some nice, original work again. How long will it last? Who knows, but the Yakuza games rock, Valkyria looks unbelievable, and this game may make me get a DS if it turns out well, so at least plenty of good is coming from this renaissance period.

EDIT: AM2's not doing anything? Wasn't VF5 JUST released? o.O

Maxico
04-26-2008, 02:54 AM
EDIT: AM2's not doing anything? Wasn't VF5 JUST released? o.O

It was released in like 2006. They've been porting and updating it for the last 2 years and apparently aren't done yet. Which I guess probably makes sense if arcade machines are still profitable in Japan.