PDA

View Full Version : Condensed Living

rubah
04-24-2008, 02:11 AM
I have spent the last two weeks living in squalor to the dismay of my roommate and boyfriend. Hsu says he understands the stress and business I've been through, so he tries to quiet his instinct that says 'oh my god what a mess'. still my room is much more livable than most people's rooms. I at least try to keep it on my side of the room xD (although sometimes the doorway gets pretty blocked.)

Anyways, we were recommended to take a lot of stuff home this weekend to make move out day much easier on us, and I'm taking the chance to practice some zen living like I have admired in other people's (mostly males') rooms. Therefore, i have three plastic bags (walmart sized, not trash sized) of clothes, two of shoes, and one of books filled up ready to take to my car when my car is ready to be taken (I have to transport an aircraft tomorrow, so not yet! besides, is raining right now ;o )

Next I think are the notebooks, books, and papers I haven't touched except twice; one time to give stu some blank paper to use for class, and another time to research something in an out-of-class textbook.

I have so many useless things in my room such as a postage scale I bought on a whim (and it's really cool if not really needed too much), some dead roses from stu, a bunch of books (all boxed up now, barring Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Repair which I use to place my nightwater (drinking) on), some headphones I never wear, coloring books I don't color, etc etc etc etc etc.

it'll be fun to take the next two weeks and live without this junk. Kinda a baby version of <a href="http://www.metagrrrl.com/discardia/">Discardia</a>, I guess.

How do you live? What do you really need to get rid of and why haven't you?

Shlup
04-24-2008, 02:15 AM
I just don't like to put my laundry away or do the dishes. It drives BJ mad--he's a total neat freak. I'm good about getting rid of things I don't use, and not a total slob, but compared to BJ I'm horrible. It's really freaking annoying! He's such a nag!

I'm just like... why the hell should I do chores when I get home from work? I wanna chillax. It's not like anyone sits in that chair often, and it makes a good closet.

Rye
04-24-2008, 02:38 AM
I am a pretty neat person. I pretty much had it instilled in me because my parents are total neat freaks. My room is much neater than any other person's I've ever been in aside from my parents and their other friends. But my parents insist that I am "messy" so I really can't win. xD

I am a pack rat though, so I have so much stuff. I just hide it well.

Peegee
04-24-2008, 03:17 AM
I'm about to move, and I'm bringing everything of mine.

This includes (exhaustive list):

- computer
- three monitors
- two laptops
- desk
- 4' tall bookcase
- clothing drawer
- two other small drawers. One the size of 2 PCs, one about 3x3x2 feet
- books
- about 1.5 closets full of clothes

And I'm buying a bed once I can afford it.

I'm pretty clean but I tend to be lazy with my clothes. The laundry basket is such a....convenient place to put your clothes.

comment: I tend to give students a lot of slack during this month and in late Dec/January because it's their exam period. If you want to live in a sty during that time, but you are clean the rest of the year, that's fine by me.

crono_logical
04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Why so many bags of shoes? :p I don't think being lazy with clothes is a big deal though, it's more efficient to wash a full load in the washing machine anyway :p

I'm usually lazy with the dishes, I let them build up a bit and only wash them once every 3 days or so, unless I need anything sooner :D Otherwise I'd say I'm tidier than I used to be :p

Rantz
04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
I almost never let dishes pile up and no room ever gets very messy here. I guess I'm a bit neat.

Ouch!
04-24-2008, 08:23 AM
My room is a disaster zone. I'm usually a fairly clean individual, but I give up quickly. My roommate is the messiest guy I've ever met. After he starts trashing the room, I stop caring. Likely my room will be cleaner next year because my new roommate is a neat-freak, and I tend to just go with the flow.

Spuuky
04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I thoroughly enjoy not owning very many things.

Jojee
04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I have soo much random stuff I never touch, I'm so scared of when I have to move this summer. xD I've been living in the same house for college for 2 years, so stuff has just been accumulating :x

Edit: Although, I can get messy but I'm not nearly as bad as my friend's roommate! His roomie is a reallllly hairy guy, and I've never been in their apartment because I'm scared to, since from what he describes I never want to. xD His roomie shaves all the time and there's hair EVERYWHERE. Apparently their bathroom was covered in hair so it looked like a furry bear. Then their landlord got mad and threatened them that they had to clean it up or else he'd send someone in to clean it up and they'd have to pay. In the end he sent someone in. =x And friend says that their bathroom is getting like that again, a few days later... xD ew.

KoShiatar
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I need to get rid of all the dirty laudry placed everywhere.:shifty: No matter how many washing machines I do, there's always more around.

Kes
04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
My side of my room is pretty bad. My roommate's side is liveable though. Most of it is just clothes I haven't put away and therefore I have nowhere to put my dirty laundry. *shrug*

I do some epic cleaning every three to five weeks, so it rarely gets too bad. Then again, I have a different opinion of bad/too bad. For example I'm writing this while sitting in my bed because I can't get to my desk chair.

rubah
04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Why so many bags of shoes? :p I don't think being lazy with clothes is a big deal though, it's more efficient to wash a full load in the washing machine anyway :p

I'm usually lazy with the dishes, I let them build up a bit and only wash them once every 3 days or so, unless I need anything sooner :D Otherwise I'd say I'm tidier than I used to be :p

two bags is the amount it takes to transport five parts of shoes. oh, and a shoebox now I guess.

It's cool 'cause I still have six pairs here to wear. would you believe at the beginning of last semester I halved my shoes from about 30 to 15?

Aerith's Knight
04-24-2008, 03:06 PM
so.. many.. shoes..

i have 2 pair.. and i only wear one xD

Rye
04-24-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't even want to know how I'm going to get my clothes to my dorm in college. I have so many clothes, and even just bringing half of them with me for the weather before winter break is going to be ridiculous. And the room is pretty small, from what I saw, and in the beginning of the year, some people are assigned to triples for a little while, before they de-triple the rooms, and I'd kill myself with so many people in my space, even though they de-triple in the end of September. ;;

Flying Mullet
04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
We cleaned out a lot of our house when we moved last time. I think we gave away a couple of couches, countless bookshelves and other shelving type pieces of furniture, several garbage bags full of clothes and other miscellaneous stuff. It's amazing how much stuff you can collect over the years and when you step back and look at everything, you realize that you don't need most it.

Today, when people come over, they're amazed that we don't have a fancy flat screen TV, only a 27 inch tube TV that's around 10 years old. Other than our house we really don't have any debt and are living very comfortably and we would like to keep it that way.

I'm amazed that more people don't live within their means. A couple of times we had to let some of our credit card balance roll(we usually pay it all off every month) and it stressed me out. I can't imagine what it's like for people that live under thousands of dollars of credit card debt and keep spending outside their means.