PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Online Beta!

Pete for President
04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
It's awesome. The Metal Gear Online Beta test went live today. I played it for a couple of hours this afternoon and I really like it, eventhough I'm still a bit clumsy with the controls now and then.

Anyway, one thing I'm really happily suprised about are the maps. Although I've only seen 2, they seem really, really detailed, balanced and there's a lot of variety within the map itself, like underground tunnels, ability to climb roofs, lots of stairs/height differences, crawl spaces and loads more.

Also, CQC plays a larger role in the game than I expected. I've found myself countless of times losing a close-quarters fight with an assault rifle to someone with a knife and some CQC moves. And with losing, I mean like, getting knocked out in a blink of an eye and nothing I could have done about it. Which is ofcourse, awesome.

Yes.

Opinions anyone?

Edit: Cardboard boxes are standard inventory. And they do work. They do! It's cool.

Bahamut2000X
04-25-2008, 06:49 PM
There's a Metal Gear online? For some reason an image of people running around with mullets and names like 'Snak', 'Snayke', 'Znake' pop into my head.

Dreddz
04-26-2008, 01:34 PM
I should of been playing this yesterday but Konami cant get there smurfing act together. I literally cannot download the updates to actually play the beta.

smurf Konami and smurf this beta.

Remedy
04-26-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm not MGS fan but I don't mind play the game online
I've played it online for about two hours and I didn't like it
I think Konami have to make some adjustment in the control and the weapon aiming.
overall 5 out of 10 my rating

let's wait for the real game to be released to really judge it.

Markus. D
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
There's a Metal Gear online? For some reason an image of people running around with mullets and names like 'Snak', 'Snayke', 'Znake' pop into my head.

don't forget 'Naruto' or 'Noruto' either! very popular names.

Big D
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Interesting... does stealth and cover play as big a role in the online game's combat as it does in the original games? I'd love to see and online gun combat title which isn't dominated by twitchy-fingered FPS geeks who sprint through the server, leaping from side to side while gunning down everything with unnatural - and unrealistic - precision.

Bahamut2000X
04-26-2008, 09:03 PM

don't forget 'Naruto' or 'Noruto' either! very popular names.

Doh, right you are.

Sadly the name 'Raiden' has yet to even been taken.

KentaRawr!
04-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Interesting... does stealth and cover play as big a role in the online game's combat as it does in the original games? I'd love to see and online gun combat title which isn't dominated by twitchy-fingered FPS geeks who sprint through the server, leaping from side to side while gunning down everything with unnatural - and unrealistic - precision.

I haven't played this myself, but from what I've seen from the first MGO and this MGO, it does to a point. A deathmatch doesn't use as much stealth as the games do, for sure. But, hey, you can hide in a crowd of boxes if you like. And, in the original MGO, there was a mode where one player played as Snake, and all the other players had to find and kill him before he got to his goal. But I don't even know if that mode is in this MGO. :p Also, it'd be a touch hard to sneak around, because everyone has a 3rd Person view. They can see more than the MGS guards see.

Pete for President
04-27-2008, 01:07 AM

I haven't played this myself, but from what I've seen from the first MGO and this MGO, it does to a point. A deathmatch doesn't use as much stealth as the games do, for sure. But, hey, you can hide in a crowd of boxes if you like. And, in the original MGO, there was a mode where one player played as Snake, and all the other players had to find and kill him before he got to his goal. But I don't even know if that mode is in this MGO. :p Also, it'd be a touch hard to sneak around, because everyone has a 3rd Person view. They can see more than the MGS guards see.

As far as I have played stealth is hardly ever used in the online beta. The only way I used stealth was while sniping, usually in some dark en stealthy position. The cardboard-box thing is true though.

Psychotic
04-27-2008, 04:00 AM
How the heck does the cardboard box thing work? Why don't they just shoot the conspicious cardboard box that's just sitting there?

Lawr
04-27-2008, 04:47 AM
There's more than one box Paulykins.

Psychotic
04-27-2008, 04:50 AM
Even so, Lawrie, why don't they just spray the box pile with bullets every now and then anyway? Actually I'm asking too much of online gamers. They're usually a thick bunch.

Lawr
04-27-2008, 04:52 AM
So you play Halo 3 too?

Pete for President
04-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Even so, Lawrie, why don't they just spray the box pile with bullets every now and then anyway? Actually I'm asking too much of online gamers. They're usually a thick bunch.

There are several dummy-boxes scattered in the map. Also, when you're chasing someone or when you're in a firefight, you'll never pay any attention to something that looks like a cardboard box.

Psychotic
04-27-2008, 04:14 PM
So you play Halo 3 too?Religiously.
There are several dummy-boxes scattered in the map. Also, when you're chasing someone or when you're in a firefight, you'll never pay any attention to something that looks like a cardboard box.Ah right, thanks for explaining! I suppose some of the more hardcore players will memorise the positions of the boxes and when they see one out of place they'll cap it.

Big D
04-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I suppose some of the more hardcore players will memorise the positions of the boxes and when they see one out of place they'll cap it.That's why those people suck and makes games less enjoyable for everyone else.

Dreddz
04-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Im currently 2 hours into downloading the update to play this beta and im at 1%. Im treading on the right road to insanity im sure.

KentaRawr!
04-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Im currently 2 hours into downloading the update to play this beta and im at 1%. Im treading on the right road to insanity im sure.

Beat Tetris while you wait.

Edit: Apparently, you can play as Snake in the beta, Octocamo included. Some people say they managed some pretty awesome Stealth with it.