PDA

View Full Version : Who misses the old days?

Masamunemaster
04-26-2008, 03:38 AM
Seriously, who misses the days of the original Playstation?...The days when they didnt have that good of graphics, but the storyline is what sold the game...ex. The legend of dragoon, Silent hil, etc...

What made me think of this is the fact that I was going throgh my games trying to figure out what I wanted to play next and I looked when I was done and it was the two above, and Metal Gear Solid..with no PS2 games

ljkkjlcm9
04-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Playstation as the old days? Man there, stop making me feel older.

I remember loving my good old NES games... like Crystalis. The games that are being re-made for a new generation are the old days. Maybe they're doing that with some Playstation games, but that's still not the old days IMO.

THE JACKEL

Vermachtnis
04-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Crystalis was awesome. Shame it never took off.

Alucard von Elru
04-26-2008, 04:08 AM
Seriously, who misses the days of the original Playstation?...The days when they didnt have that good of graphics, but the storyline is what sold the game...ex. The legend of dragoon, Silent hil, etc...

Seriously!? This view seems a little nostalgia-tainted. Games on the PS1 didn't "have that good of graphics"? Metal Gear Solid, Vagrant Story, and Chrono Cross are three of the most achingly gorgeous games of the entire 1995-2000 period, and still look pretty fine today. Hell, the cutscene direction in VS and MGS still blows away most modern efforts.

Oh, and I don't think Ridge Racer Type 4 was sold by its storyline.

At any rate, I get nostalgic over the PS1 on a fairly regular basis. Most recently for Klonoa. <3

Masamunemaster
04-26-2008, 04:08 AM
well I felt like callin it the old days...that way it would have that sense rememberence(however you spell that)

Bahamut2000X
04-26-2008, 04:14 AM
I much enjoyed the older days of gaming. Despite the whining of others, I much enjoyed the blocky characters in Legend of Dragoon and FFVII.

Momiji
04-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Pixels win over polygons any day. I still prefer many NES and SNES games to the games of today.

Alucard von Elru
04-26-2008, 04:37 AM
Talking about the "good old days" and all that, I actually did think of something I wanted to mention. Not speaking strictly in terms of PS1, but the whole 1990-2000 decade saw pretty much all of my favourite RPGs of all time. It seemed like every year I was being blown away by something new and daring (part of this might be that the genre felt relatively new to me: I consider Lunar, released in 1992, to be the first truly GOOD RPG ever created-- naturally, my opinion), and the genre just doesn't seem to have that same energy anymore. I'm not saying that there aren't good RPGs anymore (the PS2's Shin Megami Tensei renaissance is a godsend, for example), but there certainly doesn't seem to be as high a concentration or as consistent a flow of quality RPGs as there was in that decade. GAh, ye olde nostalgicness.

Citizen Bleys
04-26-2008, 04:41 AM
7th Saga, how I miss thee...

Masamunemaster
04-26-2008, 04:43 AM
thats what Im talking about...and I didnt mention any FF games because yeah they sold great by themselves but they had a good background and that helped sell them, but most of the games like legend of dragoon I dont remember having a past game of them and all that was heard was the story line...you all know what I mean stop getting all defensive Im just wanting to get the older games credit that they still deserve, games that are on the PS1, and other consoles, that you would still be willing to pick up at anytime and play

Roto13
04-26-2008, 05:03 AM
Any console that sells most of it's hits based mostly on story has failed miserably as a video game console.

The PS1 didn't have that problem, though. There were plenty of PS1 games with great gameplay.

Still not the "old days" though. ;>_> Maybe if you were born in the 90s.

Rostum
04-26-2008, 05:09 AM
The old days for me were the times spent religiously playing the NES, SNES, Master System and Mega Drive. Those were the good old days...

Masamunemaster
04-26-2008, 05:15 AM
*sigh*...I see there is no need for me to continue to argue my point since everyone is against me...

Rostum
04-26-2008, 05:28 AM
Oh, I'm not against you. I just thought we were giving our own opinion on what we thought to be the good old days. *shrug*

Roto13
04-26-2008, 05:32 AM
I'm against you. gtfo plz.

JaytodaP
04-26-2008, 06:01 AM
The PS1 is kinda old for me since i was born in the early 90s, but i still played NES and the SNES over it.

But the PS1 was awesome since I have most of my Final Fantasies on it, the Resident Evil series, Chrono Trigger (Pfft i hate Chrono Cross) and I don't really remember what else I played on it. Nothing worth mentioning. Note that i didn't actually find MGS until the PS2 days.

ljkkjlcm9
04-26-2008, 06:04 AM
To this day I would say the Super Nintendo is the greatest system ever. However the DS is about equal with it now, being able to play GBA games and many of the great SNES games being remade as well as many other new awesome games and other remakes. The DS library (with GBA) is only missing a few great games to make it surpass the SNES

THE JACKEL

Dolentrean
04-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Old days = spending hours of your life waisting away in front of LoZ and Mario 3

Old Day = NES or GTFO!

Rostum
04-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Old days = spending hours of your life waisting away in front of LoZ and Mario 3

Old Day = NES or GTFO!

Yeah, and some would say Commodore 64 or GTFO. It's all relative to your age.

:p

rubah
04-26-2008, 07:13 AM
um, TI-99 ftw?

hunt the wumpus, guys 8)

Cz
04-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't call it the old days either, but the PS1 was an excellent console. The depth of its library was astonishing, and the classics are great fun to go back to today. Plus, who could say no to all those FFs? :p

Dolentrean
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM
who could say no to all those FFs? :p

Nazi terrorist who hunt babies for sport. Duh :rolleyes2

Krelian
04-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I also sometimes miss the PS1 era, I wouldn't call it the old days either, though. The old days systems to me are NES, SNES and Genesis mainly. What still makes me remember the PS age was all those new exciting games being released. It felt like there was a wave of high quality games that had astonishing graphics for their time and experimented with the then still new 3D elements. And it was also the time RPGs thrived most, following Final Fantasy VII's release.

Montoya
04-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Playstation/N64, now there were some good days. As well as with the Super Nintendo. Hell, any day before today was a good day.

Breine
04-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Even though the PS1 era wasn't the oldest of days, it's still pretty old days.. at least to me, also even though I played a lot of NES back in the days. I don't know whether the PS1 had better games than the PS2, or if it's just me being nostalgic, but I also miss the PS1 days with all the great games coming out (The three FFs, Metal Gear Solid, the first Tekkens, Tomb Raider etc.). I'm sure me being a kid at that point had a lot to do with the PS1 and its games seeming more magical and exciting than most games tend to do these days.

EDIT: Talking about gaming and nostalgia, here's (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33294.html) a clip from Gametrailers.com (Top 10 list of the best years of gaming) that's sure to make you feel at least somewhat nostalgic, and maybe also old. It sure made me feel both.

Dreddz
04-26-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd consider the PS1 pretty old by now, it was released when, 13 years ago? My opinion of it is simple, best console of all time.

When I think of the old days I think of renting countless Megadrive games from Blockbuster and attempting to beat them before returning. Good thing was that it was very likely that you would beat them in a dedicated 2 days.

Vivisteiner
04-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Ahh, the Commodore 64 and Bomb Jack.

PS1 is still pretty old for me. Twas awesome.

KentaRawr!
04-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd say the PS1 isn't the old days, but everyone else has.

Anyway, that generation of gaming, along with the one before it, were awesomeness. I don't really miss them, since I can always go back and play them. :p Also, you can always look back and find a great RPG that you missed. I hardly ever see anyone mention Legend of Mana, and it was pretty awesome. Go play Legend of Mana, you guys.

Nifleheim7
04-26-2008, 03:23 PM
My first gaming experience was on my best friends Commodore Amiga 500 almost 20 years ago...Eventually his parents decided to move the computer out of their house because we couldn't stop playing (i became their adopted son for that period).After that we started to go secretly to arcades where we spend all of our pocket money so his parents regreted it after a while and brought the computer back into his house!:)
But yes,i also consider the PS1 era as the "old days",i think it was the time i became seriously hardcore about gaming and i really miss those days.Lately i find my self playing more PS1 games than current gen games.

Alucard von Elru
04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Go play Legend of Mana, you guys.
lol Yeah, I've been meaning to pick that up for a looong time. That, and Saga Frontier 2. You're definitely right: there's pretty much always something you've missed, and it's always nice to go back and experience something new on an old console.

blackmage_nuke
04-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I really enjoy snes games but i dont exactly miss it because almost every snes game you could possibly want to play can be downloaded and played on an emulator. But thats not quite as true for ps1 games, and they're impossible to find in stores (i dont like buying stuff online, which leads me back to missing the 'old' days of shopping methods too)

And my mgs1 cant change between disc 1 and 2 on my ps2 :(

edczxcvbnm
04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for making me feel ancient! I remember the good ol days being the Atari and Commodore 64, then came the NES, then came the SNES and Genesis, and then came the N64 and PSX. Look at all those generational gaps ;_;

Anyway NES and SNES for the win! Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out. Such timeless classics.

Peegee
04-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for making me feel ancient! I remember the good ol days being the Atari and Commodore 64, then came the NES, then came the SNES and Genesis, and then came the N64 and PSX. Look at all those generational gaps ;_;

Anyway NES and SNES for the win! Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out. Such timeless classics.

Serious. And Commodore 64 was new technology

Masamunemaster
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
And my mgs1 cant change between disc 1 and 2 on my ps2 :(

Why cant it?...mine does it with no problem..eh oh well some of us just get lucky

But Im glad that some people understand what I was getting at with my first few posts...I thank you all for going farther than the text:)

I actually remember legend of mana...to bad we only rented it and I only got to play it like 5 mins worth....I got hooked then we had to take it back:(, and now I cant find it anywhere

The Unknown Guru
04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
I miss the Super NES era. Fortunately, I own one.

Zeldy
04-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I never really gave my ps1 much respect, it used to sit in the corner of my room untouched, but obtaining huge quanities of dust. I have to be honest and say that I never actually wanted it, I'd always admired my brothers Nintendo 64 and had asked for one of my own at Christmas, but my parents didn't see the point in having two of them, so got me a Ps1. I was really disappointed xD I liked the Ps1 for (obviously) Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9, so I completed them all once and never wanted to go back to them.

That was the first console of my own, but in my house, it was the megadrive. Oh my god, epic times were had with the megadrive, it's still probably one of my favourite ever consoles, and the graphics compared to the Xbox 360 were terrible (I saw my brother playing Assassin's Creed and; oh my god, it looked like it was the TV, I was really amazed xD Nintendo fails at the graphics compared to Microsoft, imho)

Nintendo 64 = :heart:. I have my brother's N64 in my room now, I don't know where the ps1 is, but I'm half way through Zelda OOT! all on my own! ^_^ I still prefer the old era, games are too complicated for me now.

Krelian
04-26-2008, 11:03 PM
That was the first console of my own, but in my house, it was the megadrive. Oh my god, epic times were had with the megadrive, it's still probably one of my favourite ever consoles, and the graphics compared to the Xbox 360 were terrible (I saw my brother playing Assassin's Creed and; oh my god, it looked like it was the TV, I was really amazed xD Nintendo fails at the graphics compared to Microsoft, imho)
Ah yes, the good old Mega Drive. Certainly one of my favorite consoles too. I believe the graphics still have their own charm though, like the SNES's too. Well drawn 2D graphics age much better than 3D graphics like most of the PS1's games had, in my opinion.

Lionx
04-27-2008, 04:43 AM
At any rate, I get nostalgic over the PS1 on a fairly regular basis. Most recently for Klonoa. <3

Damn straight...except its always.

Bolivar
04-27-2008, 05:19 AM
I hear what you're getting at, MM. It was a great time, so many great games and classics to look back on. Lotta new genres and sub-genres came about on that 95-2000 PS lineup. Plus you had game developers bringing their "true" vision to the screen finally, such as with Metal Gear Solid. Not to mention the best FF (any one of them). It's amazing also to compare the first games to come out on it, and look at how powerful they became towards the end of the life cycle.

Ramza Beoulve
04-27-2008, 09:40 AM
I hardly ever see anyone mention Legend of Mana, and it was pretty awesome. Go play Legend of Mana, you guys.I mentioned it every time I could during nearly a year, but no-one heard me, like always.

So yeah, bring me my fricking SNES and my cocol.

NOW.

Quindiana Jones
04-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I still have my PSOne. It's not worth getting rid of. So I can still play FF7 and FF9! Woo!

Mirage
04-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Pong on oscillator display or gtfo.

Tabris
04-27-2008, 02:50 PM
The old days for me were Wolfenstein 3-D on my PC 360 (although I only had a Wolfenstein demo and I hated to shoot the dogs).

Loony BoB
04-28-2008, 02:16 PM
PC 360? Don't you mean 386? :) I loved my 286 & 386. 186, too, although the games weren't as good (Exception: DigDug).

I would probably say my best gaming days were also the PS1 days. The original Resident Evil series, Final Fantasy VII & VIII, the masses of half-decent local multiplayer games... good times, good times. And the variety is only matched by the PS2. The Xbox 360 doesn't have the variety, nor the Xbox 360 nor the PS3. If there was one thing the PS1/2 had, it was something of everything. If you liked a genre, there's a good chance they had more than a couple of decent games in it. Loved that.

Final Fantasy VII's blocky characters will always be, to me, the best ever. I think the fact that Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones sell so well has a lot to do with how they have blocky characters, too. I find the most immersive games were the ones that didn't have realistic anatomies.

Tabris
04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes, I mean 386. Sorry about that. ;)

Masamunemaster
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
and a game that I still cannot find anywhere...enhergiz(I think thats how its spelled), but I remeber getting to use cloud and sephiroth on it...I was happy:D

Bolivar
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
PC 360? Don't you mean 386? :) I loved my 286 & 386. 186, too, although the games weren't as good (Exception: DigDug).

I would probably say my best gaming days were also the PS1 days. The original Resident Evil series, Final Fantasy VII & VIII, the masses of half-decent local multiplayer games... good times, good times. And the variety is only matched by the PS2. The Xbox 360 doesn't have the variety, nor the Xbox 360 nor the PS3. If there was one thing the PS1/2 had, it was something of everything. If you liked a genre, there's a good chance they had more than a couple of decent games in it. Loved that.

Final Fantasy VII's blocky characters will always be, to me, the best ever. I think the fact that Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones sell so well has a lot to do with how they have blocky characters, too. I find the most immersive games were the ones that didn't have realistic anatomies.

Wow, an administrator/site staff that i agree with...

r and a game that I still cannot find anywhere...enhergiz(I think thats how its spelled), but I remeber getting to use cloud and sephiroth on it...I was happy

uh oh.

It's like an unwritten rule that if you bring up Ehrgeiz as anything other than a guilty pleasure, you WILL be assaulted by a herd of disenfranchised gaming cynics.

Madame Adequate
04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
The old days? The old days are back when wireframe graphics were awesomely modern.

But I would agree that the PS1 was possibly my best era for gaming.

Wolf Kanno
04-29-2008, 02:13 AM
I remember the days of the ATARI 2600 and playing Frogger or Star Wars... good times good times...

To me the "good old days" would be defined as the real console war between Sega and Nintendo and the days when the arcade scene was in its Renaissance period... so about 85-95 ah fun times indeed.

My favorite era would be 94-2000 the late SNES days the birth and death of the Sega Saturn and the entire PS1 era. We saw the rise of a few famous franchises in the world market; that to this day still define a console's success. Technology finally caught up with ideas and every system had something substantial to offer.

Proxy
04-29-2008, 06:38 AM
old games >>>>>> new games.
end o' story.

Loony BoB
04-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Oh, yeah, to all those people complaining about how he called it the "old days" - well, they aren't exactly the new days anymore, eh? :p

o_O
04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Pong on oscillator display or gtfo.

You mean Tennis For Two? :p

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/01/tennisfortwo.jpg

Masamunemaster
04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Oh, yeah, to all those people complaining about how he called it the "old days" - well, they aren't exactly the new days anymore, eh? :p

YAY...yeah you guys have no shame..:D....LOL

NO Im not brown nosing gosh Im just tired at 5am

leilei
04-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Playstation I never liked, especially due to its aggressive Sega-style marketing campaign and corny launch titles at the time. I'm talking back then recalling my first impressions of it though.

Back then I was mainly a PC/MAC nut, though I got a NES in '86 and played the usual Duck Hunt, Mario, etc. I really really liked Blaster Master. As for Final Fantasy I didn't get into that until 1992 with a brief rental of FF4. I got stuck and my rental was overdue so it was returned. Later, in 94 I had a Japanese friend who had FF6 (as well as other RPGs but they didn't interest me) and I borrowed that for a day and was hooked. A month later I completed the game. :)

I do miss gaming back then, when manuals had actual effort put into them and they would actually be read, when graphics were not #1 priority considering the little "40mhz-and-less" hardware popular out there, and when people online were 5322% more mature and literate than the usual internet of today.

Nominus Experse
04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Oh dear, I feel old...

Wolf Kanno
04-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Oh dear, I feel old...

Tell me about it... I went and visited a place that had an awsome arcade that I spent my childhood in and its been reduced to nothing. I seriously miss the arcade scene. SF, SC, MK, and of course the almighty SNK cabinets of versatile fun :D Hell, even the DDR games are shoved in a small corner. I really miss the arcade scene :cry:

Yar
04-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Old days to me means the likes of Genesis, NES, SNES, etc.

Those games are elite.

It seems they just put out :skull::skull::skull::skull: these days.

Skyblade
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
The Genesis and SNES were the hallmarks of the golden age of gaming. A time before half the game got sucked away in load times, when games were about pure fun. The side-scrollers were wonderful. No one cared about Sonic or Mario's graphics, they just enjoyed the game. And then there were the RPGs, coming into their own. Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are still some of the greatest RPGs of all time. Though I was never a huge fan of the particular genres, I remember enjoying sports games and racers (F-Zero was great) during the time of these consoles.

Is it any surprise that so many of these games are getting remade?

Roto13
04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Old days to me means the likes of Genesis, NES, SNES, etc.

Those games are elite.

It seems they just put out :skull::skull::skull::skull: these days.

They put out a lot of :skull::skull::skull::skull: in the early-mid 90s, too. A lot of forgettable :skull::skull::skull::skull:. That's the only reason it seems like games then were better than games today. Because you only think about the good ones.

Big D
04-30-2008, 11:13 PM
They put out a lot of :skull::skull::skull::skull: in the early-mid 90s, too. A lot of forgettable :skull::skull::skull::skull:. That's the only reason it seems like games then were better than games today. Because you only think about the good ones.Absolutely. There were countless lame, samey, totally unoriginal side-scrolling 2D platform games on the old consoles. For every Ecco the Dolphin or Jurassic Park there were fifty games like My Hero or Chuck Rock.

Madame Adequate
04-30-2008, 11:15 PM
What Roto and Big D said. There were plenty of atrocious games back in the day, but because they were bad, we've forgotten about them. Unless they were so impressively bad as to make a mark on the gaming landscape, they were forgotten about. We remember the good stuff.

Roto13
05-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Bebe's Kids.

I liked Chuck Rock. :(

Aerith's Knight
05-01-2008, 12:24 AM
I loved playing the old zelda for the NES.. and the indiana jones games for the PC.. good ol' point and click games..

escape from monkey island..

Super mario bros.. with the many places you could step out of the level..

do you guys remember how much fun Jazz jackrabbit was to play against others?

I could go on for days like this.

Roto13
05-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Ah, Jazz Jackrabbit. Before Epic had a hit with Unreal Tournament and started making over and over again.

Aerith's Knight
05-01-2008, 02:28 AM
The original age of empires!!!

The best strategy game back then.. *sigh*

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Its true there was alot of crap back then, for every Super Mario World and Lost Vikings, their was a Total Recall and Mario is Missing to prove that bad games exist. Lord knows I own a few Marvel based video games that are pretty awful. I guess its nice to know that some things haven't changed. Movie and Comic book based games still suck today as they did 30 years ago...

This thread did get me thinking and I find it amusing that I realized my favorite game ever is probably from the PS2 era. Amusing cause I never considered the PS2 to be the best system(SNES FTW) hell its not even in my top three. But despite the nostalgia I feel for some titles of yester-year, my list of top games does actually include many games released in the last few years. Nostalgia makes us yearn for what we can't have but in reality we're just as well off now as we were then. :D

Masamunemaster
05-01-2008, 04:36 PM
last night I cried...I thought of my trusty 64...my stupid stepdad pwnd it when I was like 15ish...that sucked