PDA

View Full Version : Lost Winds! Whoooosh...

KentaRawr!
04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Lost Winds looks like it'll be one of the more impressive WiiWare games to me. Basically, you use the Wii Remote Cursor to control the wind, and using the wind will cause various things. You can draw a line of wind, and while you're doing that, time slows down for you. Things get caught in the line of wind that you draw, such as elements from the environment. So, if you draw a line of wind with the starting point be some water, you can guide to water to wherever you want it.

Another way this is used is like a cannon, sort of. You draw a circle around an enemy, and then point the direction you want it to go in. Or, if you aren't drawing a wind line, and time isn't slowing down, you just move the cursor in various directions to push things around. This is how you jump, but it can be used for other things, too, like pushing enemies around.

Making those lines of Wind reminds me of Kirby Canvas Curse, but the game reminds me more of Okami.

Here's (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6647.html) a link to Gametrailers videos of the game. I highly recommend you take a look.

JKTrix
05-12-2008, 03:01 PM
This is out today. I will not be able to check this anytime soon due to various circumstances, but I look forward to hearing what others think if they manage to get it.

Roto13
05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
I watched the Nintendo Channel video. It looks pretty interesting. Reminds me of Knytt for some reason. xP I might pick it up later today if I can get my hands on a Wii Points card.

Nifleheim7
05-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I haven't played it,but it looks fantastic so far!I'm also curious to know about other people's opinions.
Too bad i don't have a Wii yet...
I guess i'm stuck with the crappy playstation store:(:(:(

Roto13
05-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Someone gift it to me! There are no Wii Points cards in my area any more, apparently. xP

KentaRawr!
05-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Someone gift it to me! There are no Wii Points cards in my area any more, apparently. xP

Why not just ask to use someone's Credit Card and pay them back? :monster:

Roto13
05-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Because I don't borrow money or credit cards unless I absolutely need to. :P

KentaRawr!
05-12-2008, 11:51 PM

It's not really borrowing money. Rather, it's using your own money in a different way, and the friend in question taking money out of the bank at your house. :monster:

JKTrix
05-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Alright, didn't realize I still had 1000 points left on my account, so I got this. I read that the developer is already working on a 'sequel'...and after finishing the game I can see why.

The game sets up a pretty grand story at the beginning, but you don't see the conclusion of it in this game. So the next game isn't going to be a 'sequel', but rather the next episode. According to the Wii play time, I finished it within 2hrs 27 minutes.

It was pretty dern cool. Didn't really care about the story, regardless of the 'grand setup', but the way the wind controlled your character and the things around it was well done. There's an ability you get late in the game that opens up the world a bit more and allows you to travel much faster.

I'll list the abilities you get (some of these names I made up):
1: Gust - Hold A and slash across the screen to form a gust of wind that can move yourself, objects, and enemis.

1.1 Air Cushion - Not exactly an ability on its own, but if your guy is falling you can just wiggle the cursor underneath him (without any buttons) to slow him down. There's a little breeze that always comes from the cursor regardless, it affects scenery in the background as well.

2: Gust harder - Essentially powers up the wind spirit so they can do the gust more times. Initially, you can only 'Gust' once, but with this you can do two full powered gusts before they gradually start decreasing in power over subsequent uses.

3: Slipstream - Press and hold B, draw a line to direct wind along that path. Ineffective on heavier items and most enemies. Use it on fire and water to direct and use that particular element for puzzles and combat.

4: Vortex - Press and hold A and draw a circle in the air. Use on items and enemies in mid-air to suspend them there. If you follow it up with a Gust, it does a much more powerful Gust attack. The Vortex Gust is needed in order to break some walls and doors in the game. There's one particular in-game item that you need to just use the Vortex for, it makes whistling noises that causes crystal obstructions to break.

5 - Cape. The last 'ability' you get. Not a Wind technique, it simply allows you to open your cape in mid-air. This basically replaces the 'air cushion' since it slows your fall, but you can't hold it forever. The big thing about it is that with the cape, you catch any breeze that's going by. So, you can Gust while you're falling with the cape open to travel along that straight line, or you can draw a path with a Slipstream in any direction and you will follow it for as long as the cape is open. This is the one that really expands the game world.

For the next one, I hope they don't revoke all your abilities at the beginning. I'd really like to see what moves they can add on top of these, as they were all fun to use throughout the game. Though it's really short, it's a recommendable buy from me. Apparently you can play it with 2 players as well.

Shoeberto
05-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Does your bank offer debit cards? Those are super useful.

I'd really like to check this game out. Kinda disappointing that it's only two and a half hours long, though. But I guess Portal was only 4 hours long and that was amazing.

KentaRawr!
05-17-2008, 06:49 PM
It's probably going to end up being an episodic game.

Roto13
05-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Does your bank offer debit cards? Those are super useful.

The Wii shop channel takes debit?

Shoeberto
05-17-2008, 07:21 PM
You can use debit cards just like credit cards. In fact, according to my mom who works at a bank and explained it to me last night, the banks benefit when you use it as credit, because the retailer has to pay a service charge to them.

But yeah, if it weren't for debit, I wouldn't have Starfox 64 on my Wii! (also a quick tip if you get tired of punching in your PIN at retailers, you can hit "cancel" after you swipe your card and it'll process it as credit and just deduct the funds like normal)

(though you may want to check with your bank to be sure since we do live in different countries and things might work differently)

Roto13
05-17-2008, 07:40 PM
It doesn't work like that in Canada. :P My only choices on the shop channel are Visa, Mastercard, or points card. And if you swipe a debit card here and cancel it, nothing happens.

Nifleheim7
05-20-2008, 05:38 AM

The game sets up a pretty grand story at the beginning, but you don't see the conclusion of it in this game. So the next game isn't going to be a 'sequel', but rather the next episode.

KentaRawr!
05-20-2008, 01:55 PM

The game sets up a pretty grand story at the beginning, but you don't see the conclusion of it in this game. So the next game isn't going to be a 'sequel', but rather the next episode.

:mad2: