PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sales

Rye
04-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Have any of you ever had a garage sale? :kaoclove:

Rye is planning on having a garage sale. I was trying to think of ways to make money, because I'm greedy and I need all the cash I can get for when I'm My Own MILF visits me this fall, so we can have a super duper time. :bigsmile:

I'm... a pack rat. I have dozens of CDs I've listen to once sitting around, dozens of books I never read anymore, and a ton of board games. I even have other weird things in my closet like a telescope and a Furby, and tons of shoes I've worn maybe once. What better way to clear up some space and make money than a garage sale? I dunno how I'm going to price these things, but it's worth a try selling them!

Freya
04-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Oie I think I have some furbies too. Thing is, I can't just get rid of my stuff. Even if i'm not using it I get attached.

I've never had a garage sale but i've been to a few o.o

Captain Maxx Power
04-28-2008, 02:00 AM
I once literally had a garage sale; I attempted to sell my mate's garage as a one-room ground-floor maisonette. Long story short, I'm now banned from all estate agents.

Namelessfengir
04-28-2008, 02:07 AM
you might want to rip all your cds then sell them

i paid good money for my books so i tend to squirrel them away.

rubah
04-28-2008, 02:23 AM
i've always wanted to have a yard sale (we don't have a garage!) since I was little and learned about the thing, but my mom always refused.

I did have the disgusting chance one summer to sit at our band yard sale for three hours in the disgusting august heat while nobody bought anything to get credit towards a band trip xD

(I always wanted to go to yard/garage sales when i was little because quite frankly I loved rummaging through junk. I still do, but I don't have as much patience as I used to)

Anno Domini
04-28-2008, 02:34 AM
price stuff for a little less then half of what you paid. price accordingly to damage and such. pick a date where you know mostly nothing else in the community is happening, like sunday so people are out atchurch, but not in a long term engagement. displays should be clean, organized, and easily understood {pricing and such}. DONT LOOK LIKE A BUM! look proffesional and approachable[sp?]. advertise in the community a week to a week and one a half to give plenty of people plenty of opportunity. if you can, have a friend over for the day to help you out.

bueno suerte!

Namelessfengir
04-28-2008, 02:38 AM
@rubah: i always liked that too. :)

@rye you could also hold a lil bake sale of brownies and cookies

Shoeberto
04-28-2008, 02:43 AM
My babysitter took all of her babysittees (including me) garage sale hopping one summer. That was kinda cool. I haven't really gone to many other than that which I can recall.

My parents had one some years back, I got rid of a few toys... didn't make much cash off it though (like $10).

Dad's always taken me to flea markets and stuff which is basically like a garage sale so it's sorta similar.

Momiji
04-28-2008, 02:48 AM
My neighborhood has garage sales twice a year. Some years I make out like a bandit with $100+, sometimes some jackasses like to use their friends to distract us while they steal our MY stuff.

However, I'm putting a lot in the sale this year, so I may make quite a bit. I'm also going to be watching over my stuff like a hawk so I may strike down those with sticky fingers. :mad2:

Kes
04-28-2008, 03:18 AM
My friend has been selling a lot of stuff over ebay, so you may want to try that too.

If you want to do the garage sale approach make sure you know your neighbourhood/town/city/whatever's rule about when you're allowed to have them and how you're allowed to advertise. It's also a good idea to get a bunch of neighbours to do it with you.

If you don't sell all your CDs and books, you may want to try selling them to a used bookstore.

Good luck!

I love garage sales for the books and jewellery.

41-Inches-Wide
04-28-2008, 09:34 AM
I sell my books if I'm out of cash. I dunno, I feel embarassed if I try to sell my clothes, shoes. But yeah, toys are the best to sell if it's collectible and cute.

I tried selling also some keychains that I made out of leftover sculpey during a friend's garage sale. It sold well and I got some money to buy myself some stuff I needed.

Zeldy
04-28-2008, 04:34 PM
You never see garage sales here, unless it's some big organised event so you won't ever walk past a house with a boot sale. I remember my old primary school used to do it in the Summer, and I loved it, I loved finding little gems for really cheap. I remember buying a huge Goosebumps book from a stall.

It's a really good idea though, but I couldn't do it myself, I just can't part with my things xD I give most of my old clothes to my younger cousins though, as apparently they love to have anything that was mine!

Breine
04-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Several years ago every kid who signed up would be able to have a garage sale.. down town! So, I signed up to sell some of my old toys (I was maybe 11-12 at the moment, and my pre-teen ways made me wanna get rid of every single piece of toy), and I ended up selling quite a bit of it and made like 150 dollars.. so I was obviously a happy kid that day.