PDA

View Full Version : Vista problems

Bahamut2000X
04-28-2008, 03:22 AM
So I'm in the midst of rebuilding my computer and in order to compliment my 64-bit processor I decided to get Vista. Well after much problems with the store giving me the upgrade copy when I needed to install on a brand no OS free hard dive, and getting the regular premium copy finally, I find out the one they swapped with me was only 32-Bit edition. So I'm working to figure this all out as I don't know that much about all the new techno-babble to computers now and have my brother helping me build this thing. But as far as I can see I can't see a difference between one copy of vista from the next on bit-age capacity. The only thing I've been able to find about the 64-bit edition (which the guy who sold me my copy said all Vista was 64-bit when I specifically asked if it was the 64-bit edition, bleh) is on the Vista website asking me to hand over more money to order it from them.

So can someone enlighten me a bit on Vista. Do I honestly have to keep my 32-Bit edition to get a 64-Bit? Or would my local (idiot infested) computer store carry such editions of it?

Namelessfengir
04-28-2008, 04:15 AM
id go back and bitch at them.

i havent worked on new parts in years now so i have no idea about "64 bit"

really need to read up on this stuff

o_O
04-28-2008, 04:20 AM
The guy was either lying or responsible for their idiot-infestation. No store that I know of would carry 32-bit Vista and not 64-bit. :p

32-bit and 64-bit are two separate versions of Vista, and they are quite incompatible with each other. It boils down to how much RAM your OS knows how to recognise, but there are many complications when it comes to drivers at the moment. You cannot install regular 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS, and the same vice-versa. For now, 32-bit is mostly sufficient but in the (pretty close, I'm guessing) future we'll probably see the development of 32-bit applications and drivers slow to a halt and 64-bits will be the new standard. But on the surface of it, there is no ostensible difference between 64-bit and 32-bit. They sure aren't the same thing though. :p

Bahamut2000X
04-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Ah so the store was just retarded for selling me the wrong thing after I asked specifically for something, got'cha, now I know how best to bitch at their managers till I get my refund or the right version. :monster: