PDA

View Full Version : ipod help. nothing too complicated

Blank
04-28-2008, 07:50 AM
I have a book on my ipod (as in audiobook). It's split into 64 tracks.
Unfortunately, none of the tracks are numbered, so the ipod (nano 2nd gen 4 GB) treats each "song" as track "1 of 1"

Now i much prefer to have the Shuffle setting on so that even if i choose an album, the songs within will still be shuffled. Unfortunately having this Shuffle option on makes the following happen; after each individual track in the audiobook, the ipod returns to the main menu and i have to go back in and select the next one (tediously annoying).

No matter how much i play with setting all the tracks to "Compilation" or "Gapless Album" and such, it keeps returning to the menu every time - unless i turn off the Shuffle, which plays them consecutively.

Is there a way i can listen to my book without interruptions while still enjoying the Shuffle option?

Honestly - the cure is: not being lazy, but these are machines built for convenience so any help?

please and thanks.

XxSephirothxX
04-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Moved this to the help forum. :monster:

I don't understand why simply modifying the ID3 tag data in iTunes and labeling them all as part of the same album wouldn't fix it. My iPod classic has a slot in the music menu for Audiobooks. Does yours? If so, maybe setting the Genre data to Books & Spoken would help.

o_O
04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I also think it's a problem with the ID3 tags. If the tracks don't have the correct album tag set, the iPod doesn't know that the other songs are actually part of the album.

Avarice-ness
04-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I also think it's a problem with the ID3 tags. If the tracks don't have the correct album tag set, the iPod doesn't know that the other songs are actually part of the album.

I think you're right. I don't have a nano but I have a iPod Video, and after a while I started to notice that certain songs weren't showing up in certain albums even though, via iTunes, I had put them all in the same album. I ended up having to go back later and making all the ID3 tags the same so they'd be in the right place.

Also, for future reference, just because your iTune's may have the artists as the same, the ID3 tags may not be. So if you search by artist and realize songs arn't there, go to search, type in the song name and it'll show up. iTune's won't override the ID3 tags, so if anything looks weird, check the tags first 'cause it'll usually fix things.

Saddly though for me, I have like 5000 songs on my iPod and it just seems like a lost cause trying to get them all in the right places.

Blank
04-29-2008, 04:56 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys. i can tell ya that all the tracks know theyre in the same album, by the same artist, and that they're all of a total of 64 tracks, but they're not individually numbered 1 of 64, 2 of 64, 3 . . .

again my goal is just to be able to listen to them consecutively without having to turn off the Shuffle Songs setting.

Akaria
05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
It's stupid, but is your "Repeat All" selected? I think if it's not, when the iPod is done playing the song, it'll go to the menu. If Repeat All is on, then it'll go to the next one, or something.

Couldn't hurt checking; I won't lie though, it's probably something completely beyond my understanding:p

Avarice-ness
05-09-2008, 12:45 AM
It's stupid, but is your "Repeat All" selected? I think if it's not, when the iPod is done playing the song, it'll go to the menu. If Repeat All is on, then it'll go to the next one, or something.

Couldn't hurt checking; I won't lie though, it's probably something completely beyond my understanding:p

Yeah that, Also are you listening to it by album or by song?

If it's by song then it's only going to play one song at a time then stop because the second you click on a song it negates all the songs around it. If you listen to it as an album it should play as if you were listening to it on a CD.

If anything, since you said it was an audiobook... Well I don't have anything that's audiobooky, but would there be anyway to have it go under the music category, 'cause then the whole album thing should be easy as pie.

o_O
05-09-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm guessing that the songs don't have the same (or perhaps any) album tags.