PDA

View Full Version : Best console to buy in the next six months?

PhoenixAsh
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Okay, I'm not rolling in money at the moment, but hopefully should have some coming in and want to get a new console (I just got a Gamecube at the weekend cheap to tide me over for a while). Unfortunately it seems that the consoles have divided the games I want amongst them. Here are my thoughts:

PS3: No. Unless anyone has a remotely compelling argument for it.

Wii: I love the pointer, not necessarily the motion censor. I REALLY want Smash Brawl, and Zelda... But I'm not seeing much else. At a push, Harry Potter looks more fun on Wii.

XBox 360:Nothing shouts to me (GTAIV aside, but not sure I have time for it), but I do generally like 360 games, and I like the potential in the console.

DS: Not really that interested...

PSP: Didn't have any interest at all, but god Crisis Core looks good.

So anyway, advice? Discussion?

Madame Adequate
04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Depends what you want the thing for. If you want to play games, get a 360. If you want to play gimmicks, get a Wii. I can't comment on the PSP but the DS is fairly decent, unless you're expecting the stylus to be used well, because most games don't use it well at all.

KentaRawr!
04-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Depends what you want the thing for. If you want to play games on the 360, get a 360. If you want to play games on the Wii, get a Wii.

Fix'd, you big meanie you.

Anyway, I think you shouldn't feel obliged to get a next-gen system. You just got a GCN, and you could probably find a lot of good games for it pretty cheap. But if you really want to get a next-gen system, I'd look at videos of games that interest you for each system.

Slothy
04-28-2008, 04:28 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4.

Old Manus
04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't get all the hype about the DS. I have one and no games interest me.

Dreddz
04-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Get a 360. Best games selection as of now. But be sure to know that both 08 and 09 for the 360 are looking a little tame to its 07 offering. Same goes for the Wii. Both Microsoft and Nintendo (especialy Nintendo) have released all their big guns already. So the future is a little drab.

The PS3 would be a better console if so much hadnt been delayed till this year. But because of this, the PS3 is going to have an incredible 08 and 09. Buying a PS3 (with MGS4 packed in) would be my advice to any gamer looking to buy a console. Of course, if what the PS3 is offering doesnt interest you, dont get one.

Vivisteiner
04-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4.
Metal Gear solid 4 + Final Fantasy XIII + Final Fantasy Versus XIII = you'll have to get it someday.

If you like Grand Turismo as well, add that.

PSP is good. FFT and Crisis core are awesome. GoW is good and Dissidia looks cool. Ive heard great things about Patapon.

About the others, I havent played them enough to comment properly.

Breine
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4.

Qft. Also, Tekken 6 and Final Fantasy XIII.

Nifleheim7
04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Okay, I'm not rolling in money at the moment, but hopefully should have some coming in and want to get a new console (I just got a Gamecube at the weekend cheap to tide me over for a while). Unfortunately it seems that the consoles have divided the games I want amongst them. Here are my thoughts:

Wii: I love the pointer, not necessarily the motion censor. I REALLY want Smash Brawl, and Zelda... But I'm not seeing much else. At a push, Harry Potter looks more fun on Wii.

XBox 360:Nothing shouts to me (GTAIV aside, but not sure I have time for it), but I do generally like 360 games, and I like the potential in the console.

DS: Not really that interested...

PSP: Didn't have any interest at all, but god Crisis Core looks good.

So anyway, advice? Discussion?

From what you wrote here i think it's better to stick with your GC.
Maybe consider it after another 10 years or something...

KentaRawr!
04-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't get all the hype about the DS. I have one and no games interest me.

I do think the DS is given more credit than it's worth, but to have no games on the DS interest you at all is surprising to me. :mog:

NeoCracker
04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Just because the Nintedo already released Mario Party, Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda, Smash Bro's, and MEtroid hardly means they are all used up.

I mean 64 got two full Zelda titles and four Mario Parties, so the Wii is likely to see more as well of those titles.

And with more 3rd party support this time around, and Free Online play, I don't see the Wii looking bleak at any point.

360 has some Good RPG's with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssy, and a lot of online games. albeit it does cost for XBox Live, a big disadvantage seeing as how PS3 and Wii are free online. So games like GTA IV, and any other online that is multiplatform, is likely going to be better equiped to play on a PS3, unless you want to deal with the monthly charges.

In addition, all of the Microsoft titles, Like Gears of War, Army of Two, and Halo, are all getting, or have been, released on the PC anyway.

So if you're interested in Cross Platform games, or any game published through Microsoft, the 360 isn't the way to go.

If you choose 360, do it for third party exclusives.

Roto13
04-28-2008, 06:23 PM
From your list, it sounds like the only ones you're really interested in are the Wii and Xbox 360. It's kind of awkward because it sounds like the Wii has more games you're dying to play, but the Xbox 360 would have more games you'd just enjoy. It comes down to quality vs. quantity. xP

The only thing that I can think is to ask yourself how much time you plan to spend gaming. If it's a lot, you'd be better off with the console with lots of games you'd enjoy overall. If not, you might as well go for the one with the few games you'll have more fun with.

Bolivar
04-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4.
Metal Gear solid 4 + Final Fantasy XIII + Final Fantasy Versus XIII = you'll have to get it someday.

If you like Grand Turismo as well, add that.

not to mention it can play blu ray out the box, HDMI, Wi-Fi, plenty of storage format inputs so you can transfer your *cough* legally downloaded videos and music (sopranos season 5 on mine) from your computer rather than pay for it with xboxlive, linux support alone gives it a game library vastly overshadowing the 360, Wii, DS, and PSP combined - due to *cough* legally downloadable roms, plus plenty of USB slots so you can have your keyboard, mouse, and joypad all plugged in, Rockstar's first attempt on PS3 brought the 360 to its limit, and to go back to the point made by Vivi 22 and Vivisteiner, there's masterpieces-to-be being made for it that wouldn't be able to be ported to the 360 even if they wanted to.

Oh, and it can cure cancer. (http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FAQ-PS3.html)

Slothy
04-28-2008, 11:06 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4.

I would have mentioned more games but, honestly, MGS4 is in a league of it's own.

But, to actually mention some other games, you can also grab Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Gran Turismo Prologue, Resistance, and Warhawk.

For multiplatform games you can also grab Rock Band, Call of Duty 4 (if you don't have a PC that can run it), Oblivion, Virtua Fighter 5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Devil May Cry 4 (if you're into the series anyway).

And for awesome stuff coming out within the year, you've always got MGS4, Resistance 2, Echochrome, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, and Socom. And that's without listing any multiplatform games like Soul Calibur 4 coming out for it later this year. I doubt anyone could say there's nothing on the system (or any of the systems) that interests them if they look hard enough.

Evastio
04-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Roto's right. You do seem like you're most interested in the Wii and XBox 360. If you like the Wii's innovative controls and/or classic Nintendo games like Mario, Metroid, etc. go for the Wii. If you're interested in better graphics, shooters, and high quality online gaming go for the XBox 360.

PhoenixAsh
04-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Wow thanks, thats a lot of input...

Roto did kinda hit the nail on the head a bit... Though suddenly the PS3 is looking attractive. Can't honestly say I want MGS 4, but I didn't realise it had free online (I only recently found out XBox live needed to be paid for).

I'm gonna stick with my Cube for a while (I have Smash and Zelda to rinse on that first :)), but I would like to stay vaguely with progress once money is coming in... Its nice being able to discuss games while everyone else is playing them!

KentaRawr!
04-29-2008, 01:48 AM
I haven't played it, but Warhawk looks like a lot of fun. And Folklore might be your cup of tea.

Hambone
04-29-2008, 02:14 AM
PS3: The only one of the next-gen consoles I have. If you can access the internet (along with all the other pros mentioned), your experience will be orgasmic. The PS3 is going to have amazing years coming up but if you're wanting just gameplay, I suggest waiting for a few months.

Xbox 360: I've never really paid that much attention to it, but it obviously has a great selection of (fun?) games. (Don't kill me! *hides*)

Wii: Yippee! Fun stuff! SSBB! Etc., etc.

DS: I've had so much fun with the DS in my 3 years of owning one. If you have a great selection of games that make full use of the touch screen, then this can be a really fun little console to carry with you.

PSP: Basically identical to the PS3 minus some features. Great selection of fun games. Crisis Core is amazing, so is remote play.

If I were in your situation, I would go ahead and make plans to sign up for a waiting list for a Wii (or order one from eBay or other online merchant). I'd wait a few months to get a PS3 and PSP. Xbox 360 would be a good alternative to the Wii, and after you get a Wii, consider picking up a DS. They're loads of fun.

Citizen Bleys
04-29-2008, 03:57 AM
I was in the same dilemma last month, minus the Wii, because I'd rather nail my dick to a burning wall than own a console called "wii", and settled on a 360 over a PS3, because of the games. The 360 just has better games. There are no RPGs I know of on the PS3 at all. Full stop. Zero. 360 has Lost Odyssey, which is a 360 exclusive. I have high hopes for Mistwalker, because they've got Hironobu Sakaguchi. I expect them to be the next Squaresoft. Not Square-Enix, but Squaresoft, as they were before they started gasping out their dying breath. I haven't tried Blue Dragon, but I've heard good things about it. Mobile Ops: One Year War is also slated to be a 360 exclusive. Lost Odyssey and Mobile Ops alone were enough to justify the cost of the 360 as far as I'm concerned, and they're the only games I was concerned with when I made my purchase. Since then, I've had tons of fun with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam, but I've been meaning to try the Dynasty Warriors franchise since I got my PS2 last year, so I can't really credit the 360 for introducing me to it.

EDIT: Also, achievements rock.

KentaRawr!
04-29-2008, 03:59 AM
^Folklore is an RPG on the Ps3.

Aerith's Knight
04-29-2008, 06:08 AM
I have all consoles except for the ps3.. so until then i will postpone judgement on the garbage ps3

Proxy
04-29-2008, 06:23 AM
as far as PS3 argument, here's mine: apparently the "industry" is getting rid of DVD, HD DVD's and their players. Leaving only, and the PS3 being the chaeapest BluRay player, that's why i'm gonna be getting one.
That and the MGS4, and FFXIIIv coming out for it. But mainly for the movie format junk.

Ouch!
04-29-2008, 06:46 AM
The PS3, aside from it's capabilities as a Blu-Ray Player (which is something to consider now that the HD-DVD is officially dead), is an investment for the future. I bought a PS3 simply because I was offered favorable circumstances that allowed me to purchase one for only $250 out of my own pocket (the rest worked out well with trading in games and selling my PS2). The only reasons I can offer for purchasing the PS3 are its capabilities as a Blu-Ray Player and it's future: FFXIII, FFvXIII, and MGS4.

The Xbox 360, as others have mentioned, is a known quantity. You're getting a great game library at your fingertips with the Xbox 360 from a number of genres. Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey are two fantastic RPGs for the console, which is the genre the original really neglected. Mass Effect is also a fantastic game. If you're not into RPGs (since you're posting on a FF message board, I assume you are), there's always the staples of the Xbox consoles. You should be familiar enough with those.

The Wii is more of a multi-player console. I love Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, but they're really all that's being offered in the way of strictly single-player games that I'm particularly fond of (although there's always Metroid Prime 3 as well if you like that kind of thing). Super Smash Brothers Brawl is quality, and Mario Kart Wii is pretty awesome so far as well.

I have my DS mainly for the Ace Attorney series, but the New Super Mario Bros. game and Super Mario 64 DS are also pretty solid. Elite Beat Agents is supposed to be fairly good as well, but I've never played. There's also the FFIII and FFIV DS remakes to keep in mind.

As for the PSP, it's a good system, especially if you want to spend the time to turn it into an emulator for all your PSX games. Otherwise, the only games I really like on it are Crisis Core and FFT: The War of the Lions. I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep as well, but that's quite a ways off yet.

That's my perspective as someone who owns them all, anyway.

Dreddz
04-29-2008, 06:05 PM
^Folklore is an RPG on the Ps3.

More of an adventure game if you ask me.

Spuuky
05-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Enchanted Arms was released on the PS3 also. And it's more about upcoming RPGs than existing ones (I HOPE; DO NOT SHATTER THIS DREAM). Like the 360 has so many great ones? :C Dynasty Warriors Gundam (and 6): also PS3, not just 360.

Man, I love my PS3. DW6, GTA4, and FF13 are all I need. And maybe Soul Calibur 4.