PDA

View Full Version : No More Game Console Mascots...

Evastio
04-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Does anyone miss how most Game Consoles no longer have mascots? (like how the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, etc. had Mario and the Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, etc. had Sonic and how the Playstation had Crash Bandicoot)

I know the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo Wii still have Mario, but the Playstation Portable, the Playstation 3, and the XBox 360 don't have any mascots. Well, unless you consider Master Chief XBox 360's mascot. But if he was, don't you think he'd be in more games like Mario is like Halo Kart, Halo Party, Super Halo Bros... okay, never mind. Maybe there is a reason why he isn't in many games. :(

Flying Mullet
04-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Crash ruined the joy of a console mascot for me.

Evastio
04-28-2008, 11:31 PM
But Crash was really awesome. :(

Well, if you're talking about how Naughty Dog gave Crash away to some other company then I don't blame you for thinking that.

Psychotic
04-28-2008, 11:38 PM
I've always found Nintendo's obsession with stuffing Mario into every damn game they make to be stupid. It's not like he's even especially likeable.

Also I wouldn't say that Crash Bandicoot was the PlayStation's mascot. He was one of them, sure, but there was also Lara Croft, Solid Snake, Abe, Cloud, Spyro, Gex, etc. etc.

Xbox 360 doesn't need a mascot unlike Nintendo's consoles. Nintendo's games are usually light-hearted party games that you can pick up and play and do so with a bunch of friends round your house. The 360 (and the PS3, really) is more of a serious console with deeper and more challenging games. It just doesn't suit party games like kart racing - that wouldn't be anywhere near as fun if you played it against faceless internet strangers.

Bolivar
04-29-2008, 12:12 AM
It just doesn't suit party games like kart racing - that wouldn't be anywhere near as fun if you played it against faceless internet strangers.

It's amazing how one sentence can have so much to say.

I don't know, I think Nintendo definately has Mario (and Link), while XBox has Master Chief, Sony doesn't really because Crash and Spyro and Snake were all competing with so many great games, there really isn't that ONE definitive mascot from a game that every Sony gamer has played, not to mention Final Fantasy always has new characters with every game.

Dr. Acula
04-29-2008, 12:17 AM
I love Sonic. I really do. BEST. MASCOT. EVER.

I consider the Master Chief to be Xbox's mascot.

Behold the Void
04-29-2008, 12:32 AM
The only real mascot left is Mario. Sonic isn't so much anymore since Sega's not making their own consoles, but he's still being milked for a profit on multi platform releases. I think Sony initially tried to do the mascot thing with Crash when they were first getting into the console business since the two other successful console-based companies, Nintendo and Sega, had them as well. That didn't work out and they moved away from that. Xbox, to my recollection, has never even bothered trying.

Madame Adequate
04-29-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't see how the Chief isn't the Box's mascot. He's easily as iconic and recognizable as the traditional mascots were/are. The Halo games have been singularly important for the XBox, and central to the 360.

Sony never really had one, I agree with Paul. There were quite a few characters that were big enough deals. I would say that the mascot should have been Sir Daniel Fortesque.

KentaRawr!
04-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Mario isn't really a mascot anymore. He just happens to be in a :skull::skull::skull::skull:load of games.

Roto13
04-29-2008, 01:09 AM
He's still a mascot, but not to as much of an extent. Nintendo is focusing more on the whole Wii "x" games. I guess maybe the Miis are the new Nintendo mascots. :P

Alucard von Elru
04-29-2008, 05:14 AM
Fact: Klonoa SHOULD have been the Playstation mascot, damnit. At least, any time I think on the PS1 days, Klonoa is certainly the first thing that pops into my mind as such. Probably just me, though.

Sony actually had a lot of potential mascots, but they definitely don't seem to care to actually have a "serious" cast at one.

For my money, Ryu would be the Xbox mascot if it weren't for that weird little "Sigma on PS3" thing.

Roto13
04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I would think, in order to be a console's mascot, a character would have to be first party. That's why it's so tough to nail down a Sony mascot. They have, like... three first party franchises and one of them doesn't have any characters in it.

Dreddz
04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Most consoles still has their mascots, I think your only defining them as mascots if there deformed cartoony characters like Sonic and Mario. I honestly dont get why consoles have to have a mascot. There only there because there being forced down our throats by companies. Both Nintendo and Microsoft plaster Mario and Master Chief everywhere. Its not like anyone really cares.

Oh, and the only reason why people cant lay their finger on a mascot for Sony is because Sony seem to be the only company not trying to have a mascot. Which is good because there not trying to put focus on any one franchise and therefore give all there games enough exposure. If I had to lay one on them it would be Kratos, God of War is developed by Sony and its a pretty amazing series.

Evastio
04-29-2008, 10:50 PM
I've always found Nintendo's obsession with stuffing Mario into every damn game they make to be stupid. It's not like he's even especially likeable.

Most consoles still has their mascots, I think your only defining them as mascots if there deformed cartoony characters like Sonic and Mario.
Sheesh, you guys sure are being quite harsh. :mad:

Sure, there's nothing wrong with hating character mascots like Sonic and Mario, but you don't have to go insulting them like that.

Roto13
04-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Mario is plenty likable, as evidenced by his immense popularity.

NeoCracker
04-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Nintendo has never had, and never will have, a mascot.

All they have had is a whore.

Roto13
04-29-2008, 11:19 PM
You mean your mom?

NeoCracker
04-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Well, she did sleep with my brothers friend.

And my friends dad.

And she does like Nintendo, so Nintendo does have her.

So I guess thats a correct assumption. :p

Loony BoB
04-30-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't consider Master Chief to be a true mascot, despite being the closest thing the Xbox has to one. He's just not mascotty enough. For one, he's human, which is boring. You never see his face, he has little to no personality in the games, he isn't used as the face of Microsoft (ie, you don't see him going "I think YOU should buy Halo 3 today!" or spouting out some kind of catchphrase (It's-a me, Master Chief!) or anything else that a mascot generally does. He just happens to be the most famous character related to the Xbox. That's like saying J.D. is the 'mascot' of ABC Studios because he's the main character in Scrubs which is a big thing at ABC.

Also, I don't think consoles really have mascots. The publishers tend to be more the ones with the mascots. Nintendo has Mario, Sega has Sonic, Square Enix have the Chocobo/Moogle, Sony had Crash, Capcom with Mega Man, and so on.

Mario will remain a Mascot as long as he is the headliner in all Nintendo's "major" games, which he currently is. What are the really awesome games everyone goes on about for the Wii? Yep. Aside from the simple "Wii ____" games, the top ten are Mario, Mario, Mario, Zelda, Mario (and Sonic), Mario, Guitar Hero, Wario, Mario, Link. Wii lives on Mario.

The exception to this rule is Pokémon, of course, but they have Pikachu taking care of that end.

KentaRawr!
04-30-2008, 06:33 PM
^That's a pretty good point. There is an oddly large amount of Wii games that have Mario in it, or are related to Mario.

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario and Sonic At the Olympics
Super Mario Galaxy

... are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I wouldn't say that the Wii lives off of Mario, however. Rather, it's the Wii's medicine. Sadly, its breakfast wasn't too good, and lunch thus far hasn't been stellar. I wonder what's for dinner... In fact, the Wii has noticed lately that the medicine has a pretty nice taste to it. I sure hope he doesn't overdose! That would be bad, and he might die early! :(

However, I must say, that Mario Galaxy tasted delicious... :tongue:

Roto13
04-30-2008, 06:48 PM
What are you even talking about? xP

KentaRawr!
04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
The Wii's meals.

Breine
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Crash ruined the joy of a console mascot for me.

But did he ever become the mascot of the PlayStation?

Honestly, I don't care if each console has a mascot. I do like that Mario is a mascot, though, but that's only because he's such a significant character of huge popularity. To me he could just as easily be the mascot of gaming in general.. I wouldn't mind that.

Jessweeee♪
05-01-2008, 02:32 AM
I think Crash or Lara were probably the closest things to a mascot for the Playstation :p

haha...I miss those commercials with some guy in a Crash costume.

Lawr
05-01-2008, 02:54 AM
I think the most recognizable Sony characters would be, well, all the names that Psy mentioned. The most mentionable for the XBox I think would be Master Chief. But I don't think either consoles were aiming for these characters to represent them. Mario on the other hand, is on a sticker on the back of my Nintendo 64. It's a sticker to call Nintendo for service.

MASCOT

I wouldn't say that the Wii lives off of Mario, however. Rather, it's the Wii's medicine. Sadly, its breakfast wasn't too good, and lunch thus far hasn't been stellar. I wonder what's for dinner... In fact, the Wii has noticed lately that the medicine has a pretty nice taste to it. I sure hope he doesn't overdose! That would be bad, and he might die early!

Kentarou, it's nice to meet you.

Aerith's Knight
05-01-2008, 03:34 AM
I agree with BoB.. the Master Chief is the closest mascotte the XboX has.. It is the best game for the XboX, so no contest there..

and he's awsome.. not boring..

The 360 however.. thats a whole different story, as its not dead yet.

Shlup
05-01-2008, 03:36 AM
As long as I have Mario, I'm satisfied.

Lionx
05-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Fact: Klonoa SHOULD have been the Playstation mascot, damnit. At least, any time I think on the PS1 days, Klonoa is certainly the first thing that pops into my mind as such. Probably just me, though.

o_o Personally as awesome as that would be, its more of a Namco thing and they think Pac Man is a better one(for some dumb reason...most of their games are remakes anyway). If it was really sony's mascot i would have seen more games and not on GBA.

As for Master Chief i thought there was a bunch of commercials with him before Halo 3's release...so in a way i think thats enough for me to say its a mascot in a sense. Sony's real mascot is ridge racer though 83

Markus. D
05-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Aye, Sonic =]]]

Jessweeee♪
05-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was my first video game n.n

Iceglow
05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Well, lets see...if I said give me the first thing that pops in to your head when I say "Nintendo" a lot of people say "Mario" so lets see what I have to say and others give their INITIAL response to this:

Nintendo - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon

Sony - Final Fantasy, MGS, Tekken

Sega - Sonic and his pals

Blizzard - Starcraft

Bethesda - Fallout

Namco - Pacman

Eidos - Lara Croft

Xbox - Master chief - Cortana

Your argument BoB that S-117 had no personality is quite valid, he had some it wasn't very open what I seem to remember going back to halo 1 - 2 and 3 (apart from omfg this is AMAZING!) is Cortana's wonderful personality, she was sarcastic, sassy about things for a character who supports you by opening certain doors, informing you about the enemy battle plans ect she does it in a very human way she's kinda like "oh great we're gonna die you know what chief, let me get this"

KentaRawr!
05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Kentarou, it's nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you, too.

Roogle
05-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Why is Mario no longer considered the mascot of Nintendo? I think that he is a mascot more than ever with the success of games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. These are some of the best selling games on the console and they both bear his likeness on the cover alongside the logo.

DMKA
05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't mind the lack of modern mascots so much as what's been done with the past mascots.

I think what last remained intact of my childhood died when I walked into the store and saw Sonic and Mario on the same game case.

Mirage
05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't really miss the mascots at all.

Dr. Acula
05-02-2008, 03:52 AM
I would say that the mascot should have been Sir Daniel Fortesque.

YES.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Why is Mario no longer considered the mascot of Nintendo? I think that he is a mascot more than ever with the success of games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. These are some of the best selling games on the console and they both bear his likeness on the cover alongside the logo.
To me, a mascot for a company should appear in things besides their own games, like appearing in the company logo somehow. When Mario is in a commercial for a Wii game, just because the game is for the Wii, then I'll most certainly say he's a mascot. But he's not a mascot for anything but Mario games, it seems.

Roto13
05-02-2008, 04:06 AM
He seems to be a big presence at all of Nintendo's press events and such. :P

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 04:09 AM
He seems to be a big presence at all of Nintendo's press events and such. :P

That's a good point. I didn't think of that.