PDA

View Full Version : Movies

Manny
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
It never even occurred to me that people could dislike watching movies. I'm a huge movie buff. The stupid five dollar movie bin at Wal-mart is my best friend. The pawnshop is also the pwn because they have some badass movies for only a few dollars. Point being, how can anyone not enjoy sitting down and watching a movie? I suppose it was sort of narrowminded of me to assume that everyone likes a good movie to begin with, but I suppose it never ever occurred to me before until I was talking about a certain film to my best friend and she was telling me that she just wasn't interested in seeing it. She likes a good movie and definitely a good yaoi, but she told me that she isn't going to go out of her way sit down and watch a movie if she can be doing something else. Appalling, I thought. But what can you do?

So, do you like movies? If so, what's your favorite film? If you're like me and can't decide, top five? Or if that's hard, just add to the list. Do you think there's anything particular wrong with movies? Do you have only certain types of movies you watch? Do you have certain movie rules? Do you have a certain movie routine?

And... And... [insert lame conclusion and permission to debate, though you'll take it and run with it anyway if you see fit].

Edit:

Five Awesome Movies In No Particular Order

Donnie Darko
Fight Club
The Hours
V For Vendetta
Dune (the one with William Hurt)

Breine
04-30-2008, 08:32 PM
I am a HUGE movie lover. I just love watching movies, and literally try to watch as many as possible. Therefore it is also impossible for me to make a top five list of my favourite films, because I honestly don't know which ones I like the best - I've seen far too many good movies to make a list like that.

Jess
04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I am a movie slut. I love movies. We own a fair few DVDs, and we rent some out pretty much weekly. I also watch movies on TV that I have seen before, ones that I've always wanted to watch, or even ones that I've never even heard of before! I don't have a favourite genre, I tend to watch everything and anything.

I really couldn't give you a list of 5 of my favourite movies, because there are just so many that I love, but I'll list a few that come to mind that I love:
:bowpanties: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
:bowpanties: Snatch
:bowpanties: Die Hard (all of them!)
:bowpanties: Terminator 2
:bowpanties: Armageddon
:bowpanties: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
:bowpanties: Edward Scissorhands
:bowpanties: Pursuit of Happyness
:bowpanties: Hostage
:bowpanties: Sin City
:bowpanties: 12 Monkeys

...I could go on forever. I love all movies with Bruce Willis, Will Smith and Jim Carrey - I don't think I've been disappointed by any of the movies they've starred in. :jess:

Cookie
04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I really enjoy watching movies, good or bad. Obviously there are a few that I hate and will never watch again, though.

Off the top of my head, I'd say:
* Donnie Darko
* Reservoir Dogs
* True Romance
* Zoolander, and
* The Fifth Element,

are definitely in the top ten... or maybe fifteen, twenty... D: When I start to think about it, there's just tons of films that I love, and it's probably impossible for me to put them into any kind of order or rank.

Germ Hamee
04-30-2008, 09:35 PM
My room mate doesn't like movies either. I will never understand it.

Of course, I love movies. Some of my favorites are Donnie Darko, The Hours, Mulholland Drive, and The Fountain. I am somewhat picky, though. I won't watch a comedy unless I'm forced, because I don't think they're ever funny. Buffy the Vampire Slayer will make me laugh more than any top comedy film. I'm not really into hardcore action flicks either.

Shauna
04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
My friend complains at me because I say I like the Buffy movie. He's all "IT SUCKS COMPARED WITH THE TV SERIES :mad2::mad2:".

I love movies too. I don't have a favourite genre, or a particular favourite movie. I watch just about anything. My dad has a subscription to that LoveFilm DVD rental thing we get here in the UK, so we can pretty much pick random movies and DVDs to get in every few days.

Namelessfengir
05-01-2008, 02:18 AM
i love good movies but i havent seen to many of those lately

My friend complains at me because I say I like the Buffy movie. He's all "IT SUCKS COMPARED WITH THE TV SERIES :mad2::mad2:".

even that movies creator says that movie sucks. but i know what you mean

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2008, 06:48 AM
I'll bite... I don't like watching movies and its damn near impossible to get me to go see a flick I don't absolutely want to watch. For instance, the only Summer films I'm interested in is The Dark Knight and Death Note. I could care less about the rest.

Part of it has to do with my first job being at a movie theatre... Another has to do with my nervous energy. When I do watch movies at home, I'm usually standing or walking around doing other things. The idea of sitting down for exclusive non-interactive audio/visual pleasure is torture to me. I usually get ancy 40 minutes into a flick, and though I am paying perfect attention, I feel the need to get up and do something. Its rare when a movie can completely engross me into its story to the point where I don't feel like getting up.

My other issue is that I sorta feel Hollywood has no real soul. Occasionally something comes out thats wonderful but most of it is predictable, cookie-cutter nonsense. I've also never felt Hollywood flicks have good character developement but this may have to do with my love of gaming and serial anime. Its difficult to have compelling character developement when you're only allotted 90 minutes.

I hate most independant art house films cause even though they have more meaningful stories, the industry can't get over its inferiority complex with Hollywood and shoves it down our throats, that it feels its better than Hollywood. I also feel Independant/art house films lately deal with controversial material for the sake of dealing with controversial materials rather than to say something relevant. Not to mention most are horribly depressing...

Despite this, I do have genres I enjoy and I tend to gravitate towards odd duck/B-movie type flicks. I also enjoy dark humor over slapstick or heaven forbid gross/potty humor... I am a huge anime nut though I have grown rather picky (and broke) in recent years. Overall I would rather be gaming, watching an episode of anime, or outdoor doing something than shutting myself in for a two hours to watch a movie.

Top films for me:

Mononoke Hime
Grosse Point Blank
Snatch
Clue
Night on the Galactic Railroad
The Legend series
Wasabi
Non-Joel Schumacher Batman flicks
Big Trouble In Little China
Macross: Do You Rememeber Love?
Tenchi Muyo!: Tenchi In Love
Labyrinth

Montoya
05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, I'm not a big movie fan. It'd be nice if I just had the time to watch a lot of movies, but I don't so I only watch some every now and then and they usually suck. One of the most disappointing things is wasting ten dollars to go see a new a movie and it was boring and predictable, as they usually are. In addition, I don't have the money to gamble and see every new movie that comes out.

Favorite movies:
Goodfellas
The Departed
Vanilla Sky
Dumb and Dumber

Yep.

Polaris
05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't like much films! It's just not my thing, mostly because I know it's not real, however I absolutly loved these because they were real well presented:

- The Hours
- The butterfly effect (complicated story, lots of action)
- Sweeney Todd (I hate musicals but the voices and image were stunning)
- All Final Fantasy films have a place in my heart because they have no real actors, they're not real.
- Forest Gump - No matter what I do I always cry in the end! It's just touchy and beautiful, without being lame.

I loved the first RE and also others but those I mentioned, in my opinion, are the best

The Unknown Guru
05-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I absolutely love movies, and will drop just about anything to watch a good movie. I'm actually trying to go into a career in the film business, probably as an editor (but hopefully as a director). Here are my top 3 favorites:

#1: Forrest Gump. There is just nothing that can surpass this movie. Tom Hanks did a great job, the writing was incredible, and it tells the story of half a century in about 2 and a half hours.

#2: V for Vendetta. Also a great movie. This has more to do with the themes and idea behind the movie than the film itself, although it was visually quite stunning. The acting was top-notch as well, and this is my number 2 quotable movie. "Voila! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran..."

#3: Napoleon Dynamite. Call me a fanboy, whatever. I just love this movie. It was hilarious without actually telling jokes, and it's my number 1 quotable movie. Also, the commentary is freaking awesome. Seriously, watch it if you have not yet done so.

In no particular order, I like:

Kung Pow!: Enter the Fist (the editing and effects were great, plus it was freaking funny)
Gone Baby Gone (I have no idea why this only got one Academy Award nomination)
The Departed (I will never move to Boston. Ever.)
Gandhi
Patton
Lawrence of Arabia (I think of this and the above films as a trilogy, for some reason. The styles were just so similar.)
LoTR Trilogy

A whole lot more. I just like movies.

DMKA
05-04-2008, 11:34 PM
I love movies. To death. People who don't watch movies are almost as strange to me as people who don't listen to music.

My favorite film is The Lion King.