PDA

View Full Version : Getting good things you don't care about

Peegee
04-30-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm sure you can make this thread about my psychological problems and issues but I won't let you. However it is the case that whenever good things happen to me, I don't usually act excited (except for moving out, finally, after 3 years!).

Anyway, if you like Japan, stop reading this thread.

In the past year the following things have gone in my favor:

* I'm moving out and my roommate's not a drama causing lunatic
* I get to work from home, so my telephone and internets is paid for
* Most importantly, at the end of the year I get to visit Japan, China, Hong Kong, and Macau.

In order, my reaction of the above was: getting stressed out but excited, saying 'cool', and not caring at all. The topic is about the last item in the above list.

I know more than a handful of people who would gladly switch places with me to go to Japan. There's actually a part of me that doesn't even want to go there. It's not in my list of places I particularly care to visit. I'd much rather visit Scotland or the UK, or anywhere else on the planet where I have friends.

Anyway, I'm not trying to brag, but I do want to know whether I should be treating envious people differently. I'm expecting that closer to the end of the year, I'll have to casually mention to my online friends that I'm going on vacation. And then I'll have to tell them where.

OOC: Oh and I don't know how to respond to compliments. And I'm morally against saying 'Thank you'. I'll say please though because people need to hear that word and I need stuff from them.

escobert
04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
why do you not like japan? is it because you are china?

Momiji
04-30-2008, 04:50 PM
PG! PG! Switch places with me! I'll go to Japan for you and you can take my place in boring old Indiana! <3

Peegee
04-30-2008, 05:00 PM

I'm asian.

PG! PG! Switch places with me! I'll go to Japan for you and you can take my place in boring old Indiana! <3

But then I can't visit Hong Kong T_T

Ashi
04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't say that this is a strange reaction. I sort of see myself behaving the same if not a similar way.

Aerith's Knight
04-30-2008, 05:48 PM

I'm asian.

Asia is a big place.

Breine
04-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't really understand why you're not at least a little bit excited about going to Japan, but you shouldn't feel bad at all for not really looking forward to it. People are different.
I'm sure you're gonna end up being happy that you visited Japan, and maybe you'll even get more excited about going there the closer your departure comes.

escobert
05-01-2008, 02:56 AM
stop being china.

Caraliz
05-01-2008, 04:50 AM
bert took the words right out of the mouth and the letters out of my fingers! YOU CHINA PG? YOU AZN? WHERE U FROM? sucky sucky 5 dolla did you go to JARED the galleria of jewelry?

Big D
05-01-2008, 05:09 AM
not caring at all.Stuff like you're describing there is pretty big and often involves a lot of stressful planning - that can suck the excitement or anticipation out of a lot of things. You've travelled a lot already, so going long-distance and seeing new countries isn't really that phenomenal anymore; and as you say, you'd prefer to meet interesting internets peoples than go to Japan and get <s>persecuted for your Chinese-ness</s> inundated with a culture that you've already been exposed to through various media.

In short, the lack of excitement is completely understandable. There's not a whole lot that makes me genuinely anticipatory these days; and the 'big' stuff - like moving to a new home - is generally so stressful as to rob it of any excitement.

Peegee
05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
and the 'big' stuff - like moving to a new home - is generally so stressful as to rob it of any excitement.

Dear God don't remind me. Now that everything is sorted out and I'm about to seriously move in and have bed to sleep in, and be away from the parents....

I'm done with being excited and just want this month to end so I can start spending recklessly.

As for your guess that having traveled around the world has robbed me of the simple glee of visiting some country (even one such as Japan), that may be spot on.

To Bert and Liz, nihao baca.

KentaRawr!
05-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I remember a friend of mine and his family was going to go to Europe over the summer, but he was so completely set on not going. He later informed me of his die-hard hatred of just about everyone.

Hmm...

Anyway, I'd be pretty excited to go, even if most of the time I'd be clueless. All I know about Asian Cultures are things that pass over the big blue internet, so I'd want to go to the country myself to see what it's like. Unless it's a tour or something. I always hate being a tourist. :mad2:

Jings
05-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I'd much rather visit Scotland or the UK

They're both the same thing mate. :p

Caraliz
05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
okay so what if you dated an asian girl that was like filipino or something, would you do it? and also what if you meet someone in japan? will it be like lost in translation?
HOT

Rye
05-01-2008, 07:53 PM
okay so what if you dated an asian girl that was like filipino or something, would you do it? and also what if you meet someone in japan? will it be like lost in translation?
HOT

o miss caraliz, lip my stocking <3

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I can understand, fact is, we all have different tastes. Even though I was once a Japanophile myself, over the years I realized I like other aspects of the culture. For instance, most people who visit Japan may want to stay exclusively in Tokyo but I would rather stay in the countryside myself than have to deal with a city that feels basically like L.A. with cellphones instead of guns. :rolleyes2

Fact is, some places just don't fit your fancy. I've turned down trips to Hawaii and a few other "traveling hotspots" cause I have no interest whatsoever in ever going there. I don't hate Hawaii for instance, its just never seemed important to me. Guess what people? Some people don't give a damn about Japan, get over it...;)

escobert
05-03-2008, 07:57 AM
stop climbing over the great wall PG. stop it.

Miriel
05-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I was never particularly into visiting Japan. It just wasn't one of those compelling "I have to visit" sorta places for me.

But then I saw Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations episode on Japan and it really made me want to visit. Maybe you should watch the episode too and it'd get you all pumped up. My brother visited Japan a few months ago and said that he wouldn't mind living there. Mostly cause he said he saw so many fine lookin' girls. I told him to go live there and bring back a bride who can cook me some shrimp tempura and udon.

leilei
05-03-2008, 08:30 AM
I don't want to go to Japan again nor do I want to live there. I've been there in 88-91 and it smelled since it was quite polluted. Commuting was also hell. It's also no 'moe' fantasy everyone dreams about going there for to pick up a japanese wife.

Shiny
05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Pureghetto doesn't care about Japanese people.