PDA

View Full Version : Pencils Down, Answers Please.

Mercen-X
04-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm about to fail my class. The only way to save myself is to succeed at this group project thing, pass the finals, and hand in this "extra credit" assignment the teacher let me cook up on my own. The only problem is that it's an essay and I don't really know what to say.

I came up with the idea to survey people so that I'd have something interesting to cobble together. But I'm too nervous to actually ask people face-to-face. So, here I am.

The question is: How does the title make you feel?

There are two titles:
"We've Been White People Forever"

and

"We've Been Black People Forever"

You're not allowed to ask what the book is about.
My request is that you make an assumption of what the book is about and tell me how that makes you feel.

rubah
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
it makes me think it's some tongue-in-cheek book by someone like david sedaris. It will philosophize and mull over different events in the author's life, and there will be one specific story that would've been about maybe a little kid pretending he remembers a past life when he was an adult and saying 'mommy, did you know that we've been black people forever?' in some sort of cute or funny way.

KentaRawr!
04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
It'll be an essay pointing out the gaps between White and Black communities in America, and how sometimes, we just can never relate.

Peegee
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
It makes me feel fine. Also we've always been black people.

Vikeve
04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
The title makes me think the book is about racial issues and stuff like that.

Kes
04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
"We've Been White People Forever" makes me think of some sort of ethnic hiding book. Like the story about some black baseball players who were allowed to play because they spoke Spanish which somehow made them less black (it's been a while since I took the class where that came from). Or <i>something</i> like that.

"We've Been Black People Forever" sounds like a book about finding racial/cultural identity. Like, "I know this is my skin colour and I know the negatives, but these are the positives too, and these are the facts and histories and cultures and other negatives that I've never encountered."

Good luck with your class.

Leeza
05-01-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't know how I should feel by reading book titles, but I think both of those titles should have the subtitle "Now Let's Be People".

Aerith's Knight
05-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Leeza wins.. again.

Jessweeee♪
05-01-2008, 01:30 AM
They both make me think something like "we are what we are."

eestlinc
05-01-2008, 07:44 AM
They both make me feel about the same. Not sure that I have any specific feelings from either, but neither has any more effect than the other.

Nominus Experse
05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
My only reaction to this entire thread is LAWL.

I agree with Leeza.

Roogle
05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Standardized testing was the only way to prove my intelligence in school because I hated doing things like reading, taking notes, and homework.

Leeza
05-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Roogle? What does that have to do with the topic? :)

cloud21zidane16
05-01-2008, 10:14 PM
About racial issues and community and class differences.