PDA

View Full Version : David Letterman

blackmage_nuke
05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Theyve recently been airing The late show with david letterman in my country and i have to say I dont know what this is suppose to be. I dont find it funny at all (and i have very low standards when it comes to what i find funny), I dont understand why are the people in the audience laughing, is it suppose to be funny? Is it just an American thing?

Jings
05-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I agree, they used to show it in the UK but it seems to have dissapeared. Absolutely awful.

Levian
05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
What PROBABLY happened

When this show was first invented they only aired crap on TV, so it was relatively funny compared to the other crap. Then over the years they just forgot to cancel the show.

Roto13
05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
It's all silliness. And David Letterman is just a really good host. He has a great way of interacting with the guests.

Elly
05-01-2008, 10:24 PM
yeah, i love Dave, he's just an old goofball, and thet's where the charm of the show comes from, that and Daves interactions with Paul and (occasionaly) Rupert G... i definatealy find him funnier than those hacks Lenno & Conan...

Roto13
05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I think Conan is hilarious, too. xP But when Conan takes over the Tonight Show (and if I ever go back to watching late night talk shows) I'll definitely be sticking with Letterman because I think he does a fantastic job of interacting with his guests. (Maybe I'll watch the opening part of Conan and Dave's actual interviews. xP)

I'm really not a fan of Leno, though. I don't think he's funny at all. And he's kind of annoying.

Tavrobel
05-01-2008, 11:05 PM
In before "zomaigawd mai humour is teh bettar th3n ur humar!" Whether it's a culture thing (which it most likely is), a personal preference, or just trying to find something to laugh at, humor is best understood by someone who's grown up around it. You wouldn't find physical comedy funny unless you were getting hurt all the time; you wouldn't find the suicides of mass amounts of people funny unless you used the internet. Weird world? No, just weird people.

I don't usually stay up to watch late-night, but when I do, it's always Letterman, and then Conan. In one sense, it's politics, and in another, it's rediculouslessness to a point where it's funny. Leno isn't funny, and the only true thing about him is that he's big, he has these outrageous mannerisms and deliveries that just are not funny. I don't listen to the interviews, either, but I like how Letterman does things.

Should I have just copied Roto's post for the second part? Yeah, probably.

Elly
05-01-2008, 11:16 PM
ok, i'll give Conan a little credit he was a Simpsons writer for season 1 (was it season 1 or 2?) after all, anyway, the few shows i saw of his turned me off to him because the humor seemed 5th grade juvinile, i don't know if he's improved over the years, guess i should tune in one night and see...

Big D
05-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I watch The Late Show semi-regularly, and it's usually good for some light entertainment. Very heavily laden with in-jokes, which would make it less accessible for a new viewer I suppose.

Some of the guest interviews are brilliant. Whether serious or light-hearted, they can be informative and enjoyable. The interview with Bill Clinton a couple of years back was especially intelligent.

Del Murder
05-02-2008, 06:23 AM
I think Letterman is the best late night host out there. He can be silly and off the wall (something Leno doesn't do) and he doesn't have to always play dumb to his guests (something Conan doesn't do). I love Will it Float, Know Your Current Events, and some of the other crap they do. Great Moments in Presidential Speeches is pretty funny, but I think you need to be an American to appreciate that one.

The show used to be a lot funnier but I still think it is good. I admit that I do fast forward when he has the celebrity of the week on, but when he has time-tested people like Regis or Billy Crystal it can be a pretty amusing interview. On the serious side the interview he had with the weather scientist a few weeks ago was pretty good.

fire_of_avalon
05-02-2008, 06:40 AM
The only time I care about Letterman is when Bruce Willis is on the show. They have this dynamic that's the funniest I've seen in a looong time. Otherwise I watch Conan. Conan is hilarious.

Bunny
05-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Title should be changed to "David Letterman is a raging idiot."

Breine
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
I think Letterman is pretty funny, and I watch it from time to time (it kinda depends on who's guest in the show, though). I do think that Conan is funnier, though, but sadly they don't show his show here in Denmark.

Namelessfengir
05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
letterman sucks.

where i am the 11 o'clock hour on fox is southpark and simpsons followed by that 70's show at midnight. so i can ignore dave, jay and jimmy.

jimmy kimmel was funny on manshow but now damn

Yar
05-04-2008, 04:21 AM
ok, i'll give Conan a little credit he was a Simpsons writer for season 1 (was it season 1 or 2?) after all, anyway, the few shows i saw of his turned me off to him because the humor seemed 5th grade juvinile, i don't know if he's improved over the years, guess i should tune in one night and see...

Seasons four and five, where he wrote four episodes himself. The most famous being the Monoral episode (Marge vs. The Monorail).

I watch Letterman out of my contempt for Leno. He is just silly, and I love the Top Ten. But Conan is where it's at.

BTW, I will NOT be watching Fallon when he replaces Conan. Jimmy Fallon is not funny at all.

Roto13
05-04-2008, 04:34 AM
Jimmy Fallon is replacing Conan?

He was good on Weekend Update, but he doesn't need his own show.

blackmage_nuke
05-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I love the Top Ten.
That segment makes me feel like a chain mail is vomiting on me.

ljkkjlcm9
05-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Craig Ferguson is my favorite Late night host. David Letterman isn't bad either. I prefer that combination way more than Leno and Conan.

THE JACKEL