PDA

View Full Version : Course suggestions?

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-01-2008, 05:50 PM
So here is the problem: I am going into my last year of university and I can't seem to find any classes to take. I am a World Religion major, East Asian Cultural Studies minor. I am done my minor. All I need for my major is two classes, the rest are electives. The problem is course selection this year sucks. Both departments offer little of interest for me. What I am registered for so far is:

Fall 2008

History of Japan 1 (East Asian)
Shakespeare (English)
Space, Time & Matter (Physics, but for non-physics students)

Winter 2009

History of Japan 2 (East Asian)
Japanese Religions (Religious Studies)
*Theories of Religions (Religious Studies, not registered but need to take it for my major)

So any suggestions of departments to look into for classes? Or a general type of class to take? I need 12 more credits for the year. I had some ideas so far:

Gender and Sexuality in Canada (3)
La Langue Francaise (3)
Japanese 2 (9) (Need to make sure I past level 1 first before I consider it)

Any suggestions? PLEASE!

Aerith's Knight
05-01-2008, 06:07 PM
A real physics course..
Electrical engineering
French is a good choice
IT programming

Physics is just something everyone should know.. understanding of how the universe works, very important. basic Electrical engineering and basic programming is a must in todays work enviroment.

rubah
05-01-2008, 06:10 PM
take some sort of physical activity class like dance or scuba diving!

05-01-2008, 06:41 PM
A real physics course..
Electrical engineering
French is a good choice
IT programming

Physics is just something everyone should know.. understanding of how the universe works, very important. basic Electrical engineering and basic programming is a must in todays work enviroment.

I do not even think my university offers electrical engineering, though I was thinking of an IT class. Hmmm...*thinks about it more*

The French I was considering for a while but I wanted to take a FSL (French as a Second Language) class, but due to me being in early Immersion programme that puts me by defacto into Intermediate or Advance levels and most of those courses are year long which I do not want to deal with. The course I am considering taking is a French (as in first language) one which I would have little difficulty in understanding yet communicating my thoughts would be difficult but my friend would be in it to help me.

take some sort of physical activity class like dance or scuba diving!

Dance aside, if we had something like scuba and it counted as credits, I'd be on top of that in no time, unfortunately as far as I know they do not offer any. :/

rubah
05-01-2008, 07:37 PM
can we see a catalog of studies or something for your university, if you feel comfortable with it?

I think scuba is only an 8-week course here, I am assuming it counts for credits, though.

05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Sure.

Minerva for Students (http://www.mcgill.ca/minerva-students/)

Ignore the first one, "Sign into Minerva", its for students only for account stuff and that. The other two provides more information. It is quite annoying to search through. You basically have to go from department to department. Unfortunately, not all the programs listed in their parameters are for undergrad students. They basically put the undergrad and grad stuff together.

rubah
05-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah ours is pretty difficult to use, but at least you don't have to sign in to peruse this!

I'm not sure what you've taken, but here are some that would strike my fancy, and seem like they would be good for someone casually studying sciences

ATOC 104 - The Earth System (winter)
ATOC 250 - Natural Disasters (fall)
EDKP 213 - Aquatics 1
EDKP 218 - Volleyball 1
EDKP 231 - Martial Arts
(etc)
you have some insect biology classes that I thought I had copied before I closed teh window but notxD but I'm not sure if they're offering those this year. But I found your physical classes!

eestlinc
05-05-2008, 05:43 AM
I'm not going to look at the course catalog, but if you are a religion major, I recommend a theoretical math class that focuses on philosophy. That might be hard to find, though.

05-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks rubah! I never thought to look in the Education department x-x; I might still take one, though they are only one or two credits each. :/

Hmmm, like Pythagoras and such who basically were both mathematicians as well as philosophers? I wonder if they actually have them, though they might be under the Philosophy or Classics department, scratch that our Classics department is not that big. :/

I feel kinda bad but I more or less have my schedule finalized now. Apparently I passed my first level Japanese, so I am going to take the next level, which eats away 9 credits. Apparently they added more classes now, so they are offering a Japanese Esoteric Buddhism class which I want to take 'cuz I am interested in that area of Buddhism in Japan for it relates to other practises as well. Also, the prof rocks.

I can take one more class, though it will put me at 33 credits (I only need 30). :/ I am kinda debating right now if I want to do 4 classes in the Fall and 5 in the Winter or 5 each semester.

Thanks for all your input so far!

Aerith's Knight
05-08-2008, 07:18 PM
take physics xD

if its hard, ill help ya :p

Klyklops
05-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Physics, maths, comp sci, chemistry, engineering. Become a productive member of society instead of wasting your money on liberal arts.