PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Bullying: Could you be next?

Fonzie
05-02-2008, 02:37 AM
I've seen a load of people doing this :skull::skull::skull::skull: as I have spent my days on the Internets. So, have you been butthurt by this sort of thing before, or you've seen it happening, and didn't do anything because you assumed they did it for the lulz?

Bahamut2000X
05-02-2008, 02:56 AM
If I'm in some sort of a power position like I was a mod at a forum, I just boot their ass. No reason to have someone trolling about. If I don't have any power I just one up them in wits.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 03:02 AM
If you go to most Youtube videos, you'll probably find it in the comments section. No matter what topic the video is about, there's always someone who is a die-hard hater of it for just about no reason at all, and will make the person out to be less than them. I went to Joel's youtube account, and I saw some people on his videos call him things along the lines of fatass nerd and so such. It bugs me that people would go out of their way to say such stupid :skull::skull::skull::skull:.

Nominus Experse
05-02-2008, 03:57 AM
I find it humorous - on all levels.

Roto13
05-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Cyber bullying is the new height of lameness.

Use the f-ing block button, you pussies.

Jessweeee♪
05-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Someone made a myspace page and pretended to be a friend of mine. She is extremely annoying and self-centered sometimes, but I don't think anyone deserves that sort of bullying x.x

DMKA
05-02-2008, 04:16 AM
BAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Evastio
05-02-2008, 04:17 AM
It annoys me quite a lot. I can't even do anything about it most of the time. Even if it's as a joke, there will always be people that will find it offensive so it's better to not do it. Besides, it'll just get you hated and it'll only make things worse for yourself so you might as well do yourself a favour and not do it at all.

If you go to most Youtube videos, you'll probably find it in the comments section.
That's why I absolutely refuse to make a YouTube Account.

I Took the Red Pill
05-02-2008, 04:17 AM
I don't do anything about it because it's the internet.

Sometimes I'll engage in it though, if I'm bored enough. HAY FONZ WANNA PULL A PRANK WITH ME AND DAN?

Peegee
05-02-2008, 04:31 AM
world of warcraft forums are like that. It's like a subtle flame fest in there.

Cyber bullying is hilarious. Just block the joker.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 04:40 AM
Y'know, I remember a kid that was bullied at the school I used to go to. The people that picked on him justified what they did with "He could just ignore us, y'know. No need for him to get all upset." The kid killed himself.

:p

Roto13
05-02-2008, 04:47 AM
That classmate probably didn't have the ability to completely banish the bullies from his life with the click of a button.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 04:52 AM
That classmate probably didn't have the ability to completely banish the bullies from his life with the click of a button.

Oh no, he quite did. He could have stopped taking the bus. However, what got him wasn't the fact that he couldn't avoid it. It was the simple fact that people could express such unwarranted hatred towards him for the hell of it. It's a concept some people just can't get, that they can't handle, and then that happens.

Roto13
05-02-2008, 05:14 AM
Having to actually change your day-to-day life at all is not an acceptable solution to bullying, but anyway.

If you can't deal with the fact that there are assholes in the world, you're in pretty sad shape. Obviously, you shouldn't be expected to have to deal with people harassing you all the time, but if the very fact that it's possible is the problem, you need therapy or something because you're pretty much screwed otherwise.

Vermachtnis
05-02-2008, 05:28 AM
I've never been cyber-bullied. I've been bullied in real life for a little while in middle school, but then I became fun and people thought it'd be more fun to be my friend. But, I don't like to see other people bullied. I have to step in and do something. Even if the kid getting bullied is getting bullied because of something I don't agree with, I'm still gonna say something to asshats.

o_O
05-02-2008, 05:34 AM
There are ways to block would-be cyber-bullies, but as long as you're on the internet, they can always find another way to contact you. With that said, I think some people should definitely learn to use ignore functions, but in #eoff people with delusions of online-self-grandeur annoy me so I kick them.

That, or I just like kicking people.

Shoeberto
05-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Our big class project last year in CIS was to give presentations to middle schoolers about online safety and cyber bullying. I doubt it really changed the stance that any of them had on it.

Del Murder
05-02-2008, 06:29 AM
I've never even heard of this term.

Roogle
05-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I have heard of this term. My solution to bullying in school was to beat up the bully; my solution to bullying online is to beat up the bully. Do you really think that you and your friends could get away with making fun of me? Really? I'll find a way to get rid of you, and it won't be by me using the block button...

Flying Mullet
05-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I've never really understood how people can be cyber-bullied. Since people treat each other like crap because they can pretend there's no one on the other side of the monitor why can't they pretend there's no one talking back to them? Just pretend it's a poorly written website with lame jokes and move on.

XxSephirothxX
05-02-2008, 08:53 PM

Oh no, he quite did. He could have stopped taking the bus. However, what got him wasn't the fact that he couldn't avoid it. It was the simple fact that people could express such unwarranted hatred towards him for the hell of it. It's a concept some people just can't get, that they can't handle, and then that happens.
The emotional and physical implications of real-world bullying are so far removed from cyber-bullying it's hardly even worth comparing them. If someone has killed themselves over cyber-bullying I would like to proclaim the ultimate in weak sauce.

If I've ever been cyber-bullied, it didn't leave much of an impression on me because I don't remember it. I am a frequent user of block/ignore functionality, however.

Old Manus
05-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Cyber-bullying is a lie spread by newspapers and bleeding-heart educational committees. Getting bullied over the internet is easily stopped by blocking the offendants, or, you know, disconnecting from the motherfucking internet. If somebody sends me a flame PM or says I look gay in one of my Youtube videos, I attempt to care, I really do.

Lawr
05-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Some girl at our school was crying because some guy said she was 'Cheese' and had a big forehead.

Emotions are for WUSSIES.

Aerith's Knight
05-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Some girl at our school was crying because some guy said she was 'Cheese' and had a big forehead.

First time i actually agree with you..

I'd better lie down..

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Weaksauce, perhaps. But that's no reason to insult the hell out of them under any medium, if you ask me.

Lawr
05-02-2008, 10:14 PM

First time i actually agree with you..

I'd better lie down..

:jokey: That's how it starts.

Wait till you get that headache. ;)

Jessweeee♪
05-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I've never really understood how people can be cyber-bullied. Since people treat each other like crap because they can pretend there's no one on the other side of the monitor why can't they pretend there's no one talking back to them? Just pretend it's a poorly written website with lame jokes and move on.

It isn't always a message sent directly to the victim, there's tons of cases where the bully makes a web page (usually a myspace profile nowadays) pretending to be the victim, and says things that may damage their reputation. They'll take pictures of them in the locker room and post it online, and smarter bullies have hacked into livejournal accounts to print out private entries and spread them around school. Or just make them up :P

I haven't witnessed too much of this happening in my school, luckily n.n

Balzac
05-03-2008, 12:38 AM
There are ways to block would-be cyber-bullies, but as long as you're on the internet, they can always find another way to contact you. With that said, I think some people should definitely learn to use ignore functions, but in #eoff people with delusions of online-self-grandeur annoy me so I kick them.

That, or I just like kicking people.

You kick me all the time. ;_;

Anyway, I've seen lots of it. I've even done it, but to people that deserve it, like bullying back the bullies. I try to do something about it if I have the power. But Greyskull doesn't always hear my call. ;_;

Fonzie
05-03-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't do anything about it because it's the internet.

Sometimes I'll engage in it though, if I'm bored enough. HAY FONZ WANNA PULL A PRANK WITH ME AND DAN?

LOL PRETTY SNEAKY SIS

leilei
05-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Cyberbullying. OMG I love sensaitonalist terms like that. There's been "cyberbullying" since the internet started. We just called it trolling.

If you ever start to take some random anonymous's words on the internet seriously, then I think acquiring some some UV rays is in order.

Baloki
05-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I have heard of this term. My solution to bullying in school was to beat up the bully; my solution to bullying online is to beat up the bully. Do you really think that you and your friends could get away with making fun of me? Really? I'll find a way to get rid of you, and it won't be by me using the block button...

Roogle smells :p

And Cyberbullying also includes the use of mobile phones and text messages. However the biggest cyber-bullys are from places like 4-han and the like, where it's very hard to block them because they have so many attack vectors.

As an idea, Cyberbullying is laughable, as a proof of concept reality, it can actually be quite damaging if done right. Or so the studies say anyways xD

Tallulah
05-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I was bullied, once or twice, on Yahoo! Answers, which is part of the reason I don't bother going to that site any more.

I responded with nasty death threats. :p

Jessweeee♪
05-03-2008, 05:08 PM
What did you ask?

o.o

The Unknown Guru
05-04-2008, 12:20 AM
It's hilarious and idiotic. Whenever I see it happening, I step in, draw all the flames to myself, then humiliate the 'tard. They're never good at arguing.

Christmas
07-09-2023, 12:47 AM
The mods here have being doing this all these years and look what happened to this place. :(

Psychotic
07-09-2023, 09:26 AM
The mods here have being doing this all these years and look what happened to this place. :(shut up nerd

Dignified Pauper
09-22-2023, 04:22 AM
I have been cyber bullied by many here, and now I feel entitled to financial compensation.

theundeadhero
09-22-2023, 01:36 PM
I feel that you're bullying me with a lack of posts or engagement with the content.

Christmas
09-23-2023, 07:01 AM
This applies to all ya motherfuckas.